'Rooney Rule'

WamRam

Sorry if this has been posted before but I've just read this article on the BBC Sport Page ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34730265 ) and I don't know whether to laugh or cry at it.

I'm not racist in the slightest, but this whole thing about black managers not getting a chance is total CARP! They were not sacked because of the colour of their skin, purely because their recent results and performances have not been good enough and are not meeting expectations. I may add that Chris Ramsey was actually sacked by Les Ferdinand and Tony Fernandes...both black men.

I don't know any one who agrees with anything the 'Rooney Rule' or 'The Society of Black Lawyers' comes out with!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Race" industry can't miss up the opportunity to cry though can it. Logic has nowt to do with it. Agree with Frank Sinclair's response.

2 minutes ago, needles said:

The "Race" industry can't miss up the opportunity to cry though can it. Logic has nowt to do with it. Agree with Frank Sinclair's response.

Haven't seen Frank Sinclair's response, what was it? 

I can't see Burton being fool enough to sack JFH for a start. Which debunks this myth.

I think given the proportion of black players in the game, perhaps more needs to be done to encourage and recruit them into management, but once in the hotseat they will run the same risks as any other manager.

And there's a LOT of trigger happy clubs around these days...

Applying the Rooney rule to it's logical conclusion means that QPR should have to re-instate Ramsey and keep him as their manager until the 'quota' of non-white managers has been reached......

On a slightly more serious note, why does adding a 'token' black candidate to a list of potential managers mean that he (or she in the fullness of time) has any more chance of being given the job? and how will a black candidate feel when he knows he's potentially only being interviewed to comply with 'the rule'? and if it's about tackling racisim (which is implied by this approach), why are there so many non-English coaches/managers in the English game?

If a black manger is good enough (JFH/Hughton?) he will get chances to manage - promoting people because of their skin colour does far more harm to the cause than good....

47 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Applying the Rooney rule to it's logical conclusion means that QPR should have to re-instate Ramsey and keep him as their manager until the 'quota' of non-white managers has been reached......

On a slightly more serious note, why does adding a 'token' black candidate to a list of potential managers mean that he (or she in the fullness of time) has any more chance of being given the job? and how will a black candidate feel when he knows he's potentially only being interviewed to comply with 'the rule'? and if it's about tackling racisim (which is implied by this approach), why are there so many non-English coaches/managers in the English game?

If a black manger is good enough (JFH/Hughton?) he will get chances to manage - promoting people because of their skin colour does far more harm to the cause than good....

Rule originated in the NFL, where there's now a higher percentage of black players than white. Is that because white people are inferior? Is it racist? No it's not, it's the skills required to do the job. If you're good enough, you're good enough.

People are quick to forget that the national proportion of people from an African background is approximately 5%. Being a manager of a football team does require management capabilities ( despite much evidence to the contrary) and is not simply based upon athleticism which, due to evolution alone, is the reason black players are substantially over-represented. 

This means that you only need to have 4.5 managers in all the top 4 leagues to hit the 'approptiare' quota, which has been consistently achieved. 

I wish these goons from "kick it out" would stop misrepresenting the data. Every single time this issue is raised they directly compare the number of black managers against the number of black players in the modern game. That is completely and utterly irrelevant. If, in 10 years time when all those players have retired and are looking for jobs in coaching, they want to bang on about 25% then they might have a point. Right now though, it is simple dishonesty designed to further their own cause. I don't mean to sound like some tin foil hat wearing nut job, but advocacy groups like "kick it out" won't receive funding unless there are still issues with racism, so it is very much in their best interest to grossly exacerbate any potential problems.

Anti Racism eh. 

As guilty as making race an issue as racists. 

Normal people like me and you and probably 99% of chairman don't think about race. 

But it's up to racists and anti racists to constantly make skin colour an issue. 

Why don't they start by naming some racist chairman? Let's have some names and examples. 

Kick It Out!! 

You talking to us? The 30,000 people who adore Paulo Wanchope? The 50,000 people that adore Yaya? The millions filling grounds and buying football clubs all over the country that don't ever mention race. You're asking us to be anti racist? WTF is an anti racist? Do I have to bring a black friend with me. Wear a black mask? Go from ignoring skin colour to making it a real issue? 

How many racists have Kick It Out converted. How many of the KKK saw Thierry Henry stood next to Ronaldo and thought, hey! If it's good enough for him! 

It must be a few. We're lucky to have campaigns like this. Without them we'd be out in mobs setting fire to anyone who is darker than muted mocha on the dulux colour chart. 

How to tackle racism... Stop talking about it would be a start.

Do black people really need these groups to help them get a leg up? Do they really need people holding their hand? Forming such groups implies they are inferior, when that is the exact opposite of what they're trying to do.

It's a pointless circle of numpties. Everyone is human, we're all the same. 

6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Blimey, some people feel very strongly about this don't they?

Yes and why shouldn't we? Fed up of hearing stupid stories like this. As Alpha has said, if the story is true and chairman are being racist, then let's hear some names and evidence.

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes and why shouldn't we? Fed up of hearing stupid stories like this. As Alpha has said, if the story is true and chairman are being racist, then let's hear some names and evidence.

No reason. I'm just surprised at the level of vehemence over something quite minor.

It has inspired quite a lot of ire and not a few statements off the scale of ridiculous.

In terms of names, the last time this came up, Dave Whelan outed himself in the most spectacularly crass way possible.

Personally, I think there is a problem but the problem is jobs for the boys. Owners often seem to appoint mates, or mates of mates and I suspect that your typical club owner has very few black mates.

For those of you who think every white manager gets his job on merit, a question: How did Nigel Clough get the Derby job? He surely wasn't the most qualified person they could find.

Archived