Notts Police listening for vile and distasteful chants

Day

Police have warned that "evidence gatherers" will be listening out for "vile and distasteful" chants as Nottingham Forest host Derby County this Friday.

The game, at the City Ground, kicks off at 7.30pm on Friday, November 6.

Nottinghamshire Police has put out the warning to fans ahead of the game to be on their best behaviour and also said anyone who decides to invade the pitch will be arrested and face a football banning order.

Chief Superintendent Mark Holland said: "The atmosphere on Friday night will be fantastic and we know that, as always, the vast majority of fan behaviour will be impeccable.

"The game is a local derby and with that we fully expect there will be plenty of banter between the two sets of supporters, however we want to take this opportunity to warn people of the consequences of overstepping the line.

"Our evidence gatherers will be on alert to record anyone looking to cause trouble but we will also be supporting the clubs to identify anyone who thinks it appropriate or acceptable to chant vile and distasteful songs to opposing fans."

Derby County fans have been urged not to drink in city centre bars and pubs before or after the game.

Fans arriving in Nottingham before the game and looking for somewhere to drink have been advised to only drink at the Meadow Lane Sports Bar at Notts County's Meadow Lane ground.

Ch Supt Holland added: "Our officers will be at the game to help facilitate a good match day experience for all fans and to ensure everyone returns home safely.

"We are confident the supporters of both sides will do their clubs proud on Friday night."

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-Forest-v-Derby-County-Police-listen/story-28112661-detail/story.html#ixzz3qXsUe9qJ

This about the Stan Collymore chant by a chance?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ossieram said:

I reckon it will be more to do with Philpott/Doughty chants than abusive chants about a former player.

Wasn't aware we had a Doughty chant and thought the Philpott thing finished ages ago

If Forest as a private company want to ban certain songs being sung on their property then that's up to them.

But it's got sod all to do with the police to be dictating what can and can't be said. What is this Orwellian *****? Next they'll be introducing hate crimes. Oh crap too late.

11 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Has to be a small section, never hear it come across on the wireless or TV

Yeah. That game where Barker got injured though it was pretty loud. 

Derby fans excusing themselves by saying Forest fans were singing "let him die". They probably were but don't use it as an excuse. If you want to sing about Doughty then go for it. Don't excuse yourself. If you do come up with excuses then it shows you know what you're doing is a bit low. So why do it? 

On Tuesday it was one bloke. All it takes though is for things to get heated and one bloke becomes 50. 

What do people make of fans having their singing censored?

I mean you wouldn't be able to sing it walking down the street. But then you wouldn't be able to sing 90% of chants either. So public behaviour in a football ground can't be treated the same. 

We've had Forest v Leicester "You used to be English" chant make the news. 

Brighton whinge about "homophobic chanting" 

Where do you draw the line. You want it so everyone is sat together holding hands? What's level of offensive is ok? 

I wouldn't sing about Doughty myself, but I don't think I like the censorship because I can see where it leads. At Brighton "We can see you holding hands/ Does your boyfriend know you're here" doesn't go down well. Neither are homophobic are they? They reference homosexuality but are they anti? 

What do people think? 

Archived