'Clement can be our Ferguson'

Animal is a Ram

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34711334

Paul Clement 'can be Derby's Sir Alex Ferguson' - Rams chairman

Derby County chairman Mel Morris believes head coach Paul Clement has the chance to build a lasting dynasty in the manner of Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Ferguson retired in 2013 after 26 years as manager of the Old Trafford club.

When asked if Clement could become their Ferguson, Morris told BBC Radio Derby's Sportscene Talk-In: "I actually think he could.

"Paul has an opportunity to help shape how we run this club."

Clement joined the Rams in the summer after working under Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid, and after failing to win any of their first six games of the season, the 43-year-old has guided the Rams to third in the Championship table.

They have won seven and drawn two of their last nine games and could go top of the table if they beat QPR at the iPro Stadium on Tuesday.

Morris hopes Clement's impressive start is the beginning of a lengthy spell in charge that can bring a stability and infrastructure which will last for many years.

He added: "If you look at what we are trying to build at Derby, I think Alex Ferguson defined the culture and the philosophy at Manchester United because he had that long-term tenure.

"I am not sure of the background and how much of that came from the club, but he became the way the club operated.

"In a similar way, here Paul has an opportunity to help shape how we run this club and I would like that, providing he has a strong enough hand in doing that with us, that he will help build something he would want to stay with.

"And at the age Paul is at, then why not?"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21897431

Nottingham Forest: Davies can be our Sir Alex Ferguson, says owner

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies has spent three days in Kuwait this week, holding top level talks with the club's owner Fawaz Al Hasawi.

BBC Late Kick Off Midlands was given exclusive access to the trip to the Persian Gulf, and Al Hasawi told reporter Natalie Jackson that he wants Davies to restore Forest to the top flight of English football - and manage at the City Ground for many years to come.

Late Kick Off Midlands is on BBC One at 22:55 GMT on Sunday, and on the BBC iPlayer from Monday morning.

The big difference is that Ferguson was managing arguably the biggest club in the world, so he had nowhere to go that was a step up....where as with Clement, Davies or any other manager at any other club in England and most of the world, there is always a step up they could make if they are ambitious enough.

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The big difference is that Ferguson was managing arguably the biggest club in the world, so he had nowhere to go that was a step up....where as with Clement, Davies or any other manager at any other club in England and most of the world, there is always a step up they could make if they are ambitious enough.

I suppose it depends on the context of the ambition also.

For example, taking a set-up to a top european team would show an ambition to win big trophies on a personal level. However, I would not say that it was "unambitious" to decide instead to try and get a smaller club to those sorts of levels. Unrealistic, maybe, but still ambitious.

It would all depend on Clement's personal goals, I'm sure he has some. Only time will tell, I'm enjoying the ride at the moment and I hope that enjoyment continues, whether with PC or someone else.

The best or worst spending of money at a football club is the wages of the manager. Get the right manger at DCFC and £5 million per season is well spent if we can go up and stay up. The wrong manager can seriously damage a club long term. If Clement is a great success, it would mean promotion, staying up, then fighting for a top ten place in the third season.Moving to a 'big' club which is struggling can be injurious to your health. You can get a good pay off if you fail but Clement wants to succeed, not rebuild a club. He has arrived at a very well run club where he can implement a budget version of Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid. He has said more than once, that everything is in place here. He alluded to the idea that one or two Premiership teams were at least mildly interested in him. DCFC is the perfect starter club for Clement. he can pretty much put all the latest ideas into practice and he seems to be doing so.Long may it continue.

I really like Paul Clement as a coach and he seems like a really genuine guy, as does Mel Morris who I equally like a lot. But come on realistically, Paul Clement is what, 14 league games into his managerial career? We've already had guarantees from Morris that he won't be sacked this season and now he's our Alex Ferguson? It does seem a little over-excitable despite how much I love the optimism.

He won't become an Alex Ferguson. If we go up and he takes us into the top half we'll have an absolute abundance of teams wanting him, and I couldn't see him, nor expect him to stay should teams like Liverpool, Spurs, or higher come in for him. It just won't happen.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I really like Paul Clement as a coach and he seems like a really genuine guy, as does Mel Morris who I equally like a lot. But come on realistically, Paul Clement is what, 14 league games into his managerial career? We've already had guarantees from Morris that he won't be sacked this season and now he's our Alex Ferguson? It does seem a little over-excitable despite how much I love the optimism.

He won't become an Alex Ferguson. If we go up and he takes us into the top half we'll have an absolute abundance of teams wanting him, and I couldn't see him, nor expect him to stay should teams like Liverpool, Spurs, or higher come in for him. It just won't happen.

Ah but you forget, then Sam Rush will offer him a new contract. And Sam Rush ALWAYS gets his man. :thumbsup:

Just now, SaintRam said:

Ah but you forget, then Sam Rush will offer him a new contract. And Sam Rush ALWAYS gets his man. :thumbsup:

If Sam Rush keeps Clement here to do a Ferguson, even gets us into Europe before being pinched by a bigger club or failing miserably and getting sacked, I will eat every single hat anybody on this site owns!

Just now, Kernow said:

If Sam Rush keeps Clement here to do a Ferguson, even gets us into Europe before being pinched by a bigger club or failing miserably and getting sacked, I will eat every single hat anybody on this site owns!

I do like bets that don't require me to forfeit if I'm wrong. Deal. 

14 minutes ago, Kernow said:

To be fair, he was responding to a direct question about whether Clement could become our Ferguson and gave a decent response. He wasn't getting carried away. Was he just supposed to say "no" and stare at the interviewer in silence?.

You never know with the sale of Candy Crush Saga maybe if we can get the foundations right such as good development that used to be the advantage teams like Man Utd and Liverpool had when they were consistently successful, Mel might be looking to invest more and push us up the league.

6 years ago we'd have been laughing if someone had told us that players would be leaving the best and most successful teams to play for Man City.

15 years ago we wouldn't have thought Chelsea would be as strong as they are now.

Big investments can make a difference.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

To be fair, he was responding to a direct question about whether Clement could become our Ferguson and gave a decent response. He wasn't getting carried away. Was he just supposed to say "no" and stare at the interviewer in silence?.

No but he could have recognised it was a pretty silly question to ask if a manager of 14 games can be like a manager who won god knows however many trophies in 26 years.

I know he's not literally saying he will be like Alex Ferguson, but if Forest were in our position and Fawaz said this, I'd find it funny.

I agree with Kernow's first paragraph: I thought the radio question was a bit over the top and Mel had little choice but to field the question. He gave a good answer considering. 

Although I get where Kernow is coming from, I don't necessarily agree with his second paragraph.

If PC does take us  premier league top 10 top 5 or better then why would he leave ? As Mel said, would he go for a better salary etc? I don't think so: we have a strong owner with a strong vision but with loyalty between chief exec owner and manager. That was a prime point of his interview: that the most successful clubs have a core leadership with understood vision that is rock steady over time. When PC said : "im staying" I don't think it was just a funny, flippant reply I think he really meant lt. 

supposedly a host of clubs wanted PC perhaps even premier league clubs but he came here, Kevin p left Leicester for here and Bradley dropped a division to come here. What does that say about us? If we were to ride high in the PL don't you think the draw to dcfc will be even greater then ? And the desire to stay even greater ?

We need to get promoted clearly but we are at the start of something very big and I don't think the manager or anyone else - save a few players who can't make game day squad - would seriously think about jumping ship anytime soon.

Archived