Villa sack Sherwood

Day

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any Club loses their equivalents of Benteke, Delph and Vlaar in one close season, there's only likely outcome. £50m spent, £40m retrieved. Not much chance of turning that around without heavy investment.

that's about all they spent in the last 6 years! £50m doesn't get much in the Premier league, a few clubs have spent that on ONE player!! When you're already behind the rest of the league, you need more than just a couple of players. We spent not far off that in the last 18 months.

Say we sold Martin, Hughes and Shackell but spent £50m, I would be expecting better than 8 defeats from 9 games. Villa haven't had to go out and spend a ton of money, they have recruited well in the past and brought players through their academy. Just haven't been able to keep hold of them when the big clubs come calling and haven't spent wisely since O'Neill 

Say we sold Martin, Hughes and Shackell but spent £50m, I would be expecting better than 8 defeats from 9 games. Villa haven't had to go out and spend a ton of money, they have recruited well in the past and brought players through their academy. Just haven't been able to keep hold of them when the big clubs come calling and haven't spent wisely since O'Neill 

if we lost 3 of our better players, and replaced them, I'd expect to be where we were before they were sold.

Villa were ***** before selling them, replaced them and are still *****. They needed to replace them and ALSO improve the rest of their team!

if we lost 3 of our better players, and replaced them, I'd expect to be where we were before they were sold.

Villa were ***** before selling them, replaced them and are still *****. They needed to replace them and ALSO improve the rest of their team!

Depends if we insist on shopping in England only, £50m would replace and strengthen us if done correctly, just need a decent European scouting structure in place

Depends if we insist on shopping in England only, £50m would replace and strengthen us if done correctly, just need a decent European scouting structure in place

I don't disagree with that, but the word is Sherwood didn't get full control of transfers.

My point is that they were a 3/10 before selling the best 2players, they bought more players than 2, but at less quality, so haven't moved higher than 3/10. It's like when Spurs bought loads of players with the Bale money and expected to match teams above them, the quality of the players they bought were worse than Bale, so it doesn't make sense that they would expect to improve, same with Liverpool and Torres & Suarez. Selling your stars usually has a detrimental effect.

You wouldn't expect to go backwards so much either, I'll be honest never heard of most of the summer signings they made, but you'd assume £50m spent wouldn't send you rock bottom. Maybe avoid relegation a little bit more comfortably than usual. 

Are they still up for sale?

You wouldn't expect to go backwards so much either, I'll be honest never heard of most of the summer signings they made, but you'd assume £50m spent wouldn't send you rock bottom. Maybe avoid relegation a little bit more comfortably than usual. 

Are they still up for sale?

they haven't actually gone backwards, they were in this position last season.

I thought they were playing better this season and were not far off getting some wins, whereas last season they looked hopeless.

Not worth talking about now, but my feeling is that I don't expect any manager to be able to make them good all of a sudden. I don't think they are underachieving, like say Chelsea are, I just think they ain't got much in terms of quality.

Archived