Radio Derby: The Derby County Story

therealhantsram

Showing my age here...I remember back in 1984 for the Rams centenary, Radio Derby did an awesome documentary series, I think it was called the Derby County Story.  I think it may have updated and re-aired for the 125th anniversary. 

Does anyone know if a copy is available to buy anywhere.  Would love the hear that again.  

I have a feeling RD sold copies on cassette (remember them?) at the time it first aired.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a copy of that cassette. Unfortunately I lent it to a work mate who soon after got the sack. The only time I saw him after that he was working in the little chef in Long Eaton when I was on my way to the airport to come over here to live. Obviously he didn't have the cassettes with him :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2007/08/03/the_derby_county_story_2007_feature.shtml

Station Information

You are in: Derby > BBC Radio Derby > Station Information > The Derby County Story

[Igor Stimac | Jackie Stamps | Arthur Cox]

Igor Stimac | Jack Stamps | Arthur Cox

The Derby County Story

BBC Radio Derby is updating and re-running this popular series documenting the history of the Rams.

Relive some of the many highs and lows of Derby County's history as BBC Radio Derby re-runs The Derby County Story.

The series was first conceived in 1984, Derby County's centenary year, and broadcast in 15 parts. It was written by Anton Rippon and narrated by Mike Ingham. It featured interviews and archives of many famous voices - Graham Richards, Peter Taylor, Jack Stamps, Brian Clough, Kevin Hector, David Coleman, Dave Mackay, Peter Shilton, Arthur Cox and many, many more.

[The Derby County Story - 1997 version]

The Derby County Story - 1997 version

In 1997, Colin Gibson updated the series and added two new episodes, documenting the Maxwell era, the takeover by Lionel Pickering, the Premiership and farewell to the Baseball Ground.

Now, in 2007, a further new episode will be added as the complete history is aired again.

The new Part 18 moves the story on up to the present day, including the 'Three Amigos', George Burley, John Gregory, Billy Davies and the return to the Premier League.

When can I hear it?

The Derby County Story can be heard on Sundays at 12 noon (BST). You can listen both on-air and on-line.

Will I be able to 'Listen Again'?

Yes. Each episode will be available to be heard 'on demand' for seven days after broadcast. Normally, the latest episode will appear on our 'Listen Again' feature about an hour after it is broadcast on-air. After seven days, you will no longer be able to hear that episode.  You will not be able to copy or download the episodes.

Check out our 'Listen Again' feature by using the link on the right of this page.

Can I buy it on CD?

No, BBC Derby has explored the possibility of producing a CD or a download for sale, but has decided not to proceed because of potential complications over reproduction rights.

Can I still buy the original cassettes?

I have the Radio Derby 1996 story of a season somewhere on cassette. I wrote to Colin Gibson I remember to ask him where I could get a copy as I missed it when it aired on the radio. I think I bought it from Radio Derby reception! Shame Radio Derby cannot create a Derby County online archive where they can have this sort of stuff and add to it over the years. Sure there will be a demand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2007/08/03/the_derby_county_story_2007_feature.shtml

Station Information

You are in: Derby > BBC Radio Derby > Station Information > The Derby County Story

[Igor Stimac | Jackie Stamps | Arthur Cox]

Igor Stimac | Jack Stamps | Arthur Cox

The Derby County Story

BBC Radio Derby is updating and re-running this popular series documenting the history of the Rams.

Relive some of the many highs and lows of Derby County's history as BBC Radio Derby re-runs The Derby County Story.

The series was first conceived in 1984, Derby County's centenary year, and broadcast in 15 parts. It was written by Anton Rippon and narrated by Mike Ingham. It featured interviews and archives of many famous voices - Graham Richards, Peter Taylor, Jack Stamps, Brian Clough, Kevin Hector, David Coleman, Dave Mackay, Peter Shilton, Arthur Cox and many, many more.

[The Derby County Story - 1997 version]

The Derby County Story - 1997 version

In 1997, Colin Gibson updated the series and added two new episodes, documenting the Maxwell era, the takeover by Lionel Pickering, the Premiership and farewell to the Baseball Ground.

Now, in 2007, a further new episode will be added as the complete history is aired again.

The new Part 18 moves the story on up to the present day, including the 'Three Amigos', George Burley, John Gregory, Billy Davies and the return to the Premier League.

When can I hear it?

The Derby County Story can be heard on Sundays at 12 noon (BST). You can listen both on-air and on-line.

Will I be able to 'Listen Again'?

Yes. Each episode will be available to be heard 'on demand' for seven days after broadcast. Normally, the latest episode will appear on our 'Listen Again' feature about an hour after it is broadcast on-air. After seven days, you will no longer be able to hear that episode.  You will not be able to copy or download the episodes.

Check out our 'Listen Again' feature by using the link on the right of this page.

Can I buy it on CD?

No, BBC Derby has explored the possibility of producing a CD or a download for sale, but has decided not to proceed because of potential complications over reproduction rights.

Can I still buy the original cassettes?

Thanks.

Such a shame its not available. I guess I can only hope there's a 2017 update in the works and it will be aired again.

I have the Radio Derby 1996 story of a season somewhere on cassette. I wrote to Colin Gibson I remember to ask him where I could get a copy as I missed it when it aired on the radio. I think I bought it from Radio Derby reception! Shame Radio Derby cannot create a Derby County online archive where they can have this sort of stuff and add to it over the years. Sure there will be a demand.

It would be great wouldn't it.  I guess complex licensing rights mean it would never happen though.  

The BBC should make all their local output available as open source/freeware. I'm sure there's masses of local news and documentary content that would be a treasure trove for local historians and really has no monetary value as licensable content.

Thanks.

Such a shame its not available. I guess I can only hope there's a 2017 update in the works and it will be aired again.

I've got a recollection that I downloaded them all in 2007.  I'll have to have to a look to see if I can find them.

Showing my age here...I remember back in 1984 for the Rams centenary, Radio Derby did an awesome documentary series, I think it was called the Derby County Story.  I think it may have updated and re-aired for the 125th anniversary. 

Does anyone know if a copy is available to buy anywhere.  Would love the hear that again.  

I have a feeling RD sold copies on cassette (remember them?) at the time it first aired.

evening everyone, 

i have found my original double cassette copy.  All that remains to find out if it still plays ok. Assuming  it's does and I can find out how to copy it onto Cd or similar, then I could do few copies. 

Cheers. 

Can't help with the OP I'm afraid. But does anyone remember the promotion to Division One tape that RD produced?

Started with something like this by Graham Richards

"Stand up all of you who were at the Victoria ground Hartlepool 'we are the champions chant' who were at Bristol Rovers and Stoke 'we are the champions' because we are back, Derby County founder members of teh Football League are back where we belong"

Single cassette, was brilliant and reviewed that season.

Just seen this topic - and scuttled upstairs to my DCFC vault to retrieve my copy.

I'm holding my original 2-cassette Limited Edition (No. 170!) of Radio Derby 269's 'The Derby County Story', released in 1985. Written by Anthony Rippon, compiled & produced by Ashley Franklin and narrated by Mike Ingham.

The detailed insert in the (DVD-style) case lists the story in 15 parts, from pre-Bloomer to Stuart Webb saving the club in 1984. I seem to think we have it on tape or CD from ye olde radio broadcasts, too - perhaps with the 'update' parts.

I have the capacity to transfer direct from cassette to mp3, so must get round to it! Then it can be copied to CD, of course.

I don't expect the club or Radio Derby's ability to resurrect and republish the Story is any easier these days (due to copyright/ownership of material, as already noted) but perhaps this request could be raised as a 'suggestion to the club?'

It's an important heritage recording. 

Happy to liaise with those who want to PM me about getting an mp3 transfer sorted.

Just seen this topic - and scuttled upstairs to my DCFC vault to retrieve my copy.

I'm holding my original 2-cassette Limited Edition (No. 170!) of Radio Derby 269's 'The Derby County Story', released in 1985. Written by Anthony Rippon, compiled & produced by Ashley Franklin and narrated by Mike Ingham.

The detailed insert in the (DVD-style) case lists the story in 15 parts, from pre-Bloomer to Stuart Webb saving the club in 1984. I seem to think we have it on tape or CD from ye olde radio broadcasts, too - perhaps with the 'update' parts.

I have the capacity to transfer direct from cassette to mp3, so must get round to it! Then it can be copied to CD, of course.

I don't expect the club or Radio Derby's ability to resurrect and republish the Story is any easier these days (due to copyright/ownership of material, as already noted) but perhaps this request could be raised as a 'suggestion to the club?'

It's an important heritage recording. 

Happy to liaise with those who want to PM me about getting an mp3 transfer sorted.

Beat you to it, sorry.

Archived