Nigel Clough

Day

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I would trust him with anything over a million. I'm still not over Conor Sammon, can't believe he's still a Derby player.

he bought barker Keogh and shackell all for barker type fees they all did well. Selling shackell and buying sammon with the money wasn't cloughies best move but we all make mistakes. 

Was Barker a good deal in the end? When you think Keogh has played 40 games more than him already and Barker was at the club twice as long.

Can't blame Clough at all but 6 years on the books, 98 games looks a bit of a waste now because of injuries

If we had bought Sammon when we were first interested from Kilmarnock for the 450k that Wigan paid it would have been a smallish gamble that didn't come off . what I don't understand is why Clough still pursued him and decided he had more than doubled in value after he had demonstrated he wasn't great at Wigan .

Was Barker a good deal in the end? When you think Keogh has played 40 games more than him already and Barker was at the club twice as long.

Can't blame Clough at all but 6 years on the books, 98 games looks a bit of a waste now because of injuries

barker was a very good player and wretched luck with injury. As you say can't balme Clough at all but as you also say  from the very first I saw of sammon I could tell he couldn't play ... And I ain't no scout. 

Judging any one deal in isolation is a silly way of going about things. Injuries happen, they can't be predicted, so to suggest anything about a signing when such has happened is pointless as it offers nothing going forward. What would you have done differently, hired psychics to determine who has a career ender coming soon? 

Also I guess with barker we got some insurance. He played very well in the 98 games he played, was player of the year first season. 

We only really got a decent season and half out of him which looks expensive now, shame really as he was a decent defender and not knocking the club for standing by him, was good to see and sends out a great message. Still expensive tho, just one of those things in football, not like you can predict em.

Also I guess with barker we got some insurance. He played very well in the 98 games he played, was player of the year first season. 

I don't think we did. I seem to recall somebody saying that we were not insuring our players to keep costs down until this season. 

Derby were so bad that people thought Barker was an amazing defender. He wasn't.

Great bloke, extremely unlucky with injuries and no blame can be attatched to player or manager.

But even during his peak with us, he only stood out because he was playing among rubbish players. He was a decent defender, but I'd take Shackell and Keogh over him anyday.

I reckon every manager has a "Sammon" signing blotting their copy book. It was probably the single most thing that led to Nigel's sacking.

The club were on the cusp of releasing some reasonable cash and must have had doubts about him spending it.

Fair dos, it was a massive outlay in relative terms of what we were spending then. I think a previous poster made an excellent point about if we'd got him from Killie for 450k it would have been seen as a gamble worth taking.

Barker, Shackell and Keogh were/are all decent CB's at this level and natural leaders too, so not much to pick fault with NC's judgement there.

If you take Sammon out of the equation I would say Clough's signings, pound for pound, were pretty impressive.

As mostyn says, he never quite looked like he was going to let loose the formation he appeared to be building. His early period with Kuqi in the Martin role showed what an effective way to play it was if you've got the right players.

Overall, by halving the wage bill and greatly increasing the value of the squad, his worth to the club at a potentially nightmarish time was significant.

Was he brave to play Hughes and Hendrick for so much at such young ages? Or had he no choice due to finances?

Either way, many managers would have gone for solid, dependable journeymen and we probably wouldn't have seen the quality that those two have shown over the last couple of years not to mention the value to the club.

We'd possibly get £15m if we sold them both, £10m for Hughsey and £5m for Jeff I would say is an achievable amount.

Not that I want either to go. I want to see both playing and prospering in the Premier League for DCFC.

I think it will happen and I for one will thank Nigel Clough for his contribution in laying the foundations for others to build on.!

I reckon every manager has a "Sammon" signing blotting their copy book. It was probably the single most thing that led to Nigel's sacking.

The club were on the cusp of releasing some reasonable cash and must have had doubts about him spending it.

Fair dos, it was a massive outlay in relative terms of what we were spending then. I think a previous poster made an excellent point about if we'd got him from Killie for 450k it would have been seen as a gamble worth taking.

Barker, Shackell and Keogh were/are all decent CB's at this level and natural leaders too, so not much to pick fault with NC's judgement there.

If you take Sammon out of the equation I would say Clough's signings, pound for pound, were pretty impressive.

As mostyn says, he never quite looked like he was going to let loose the formation he appeared to be building. His early period with Kuqi in the Martin role showed what an effective way to play it was if you've got the right players.

Overall, by halving the wage bill and greatly increasing the value of the squad, his worth to the club at a potentially nightmarish time was significant.

Was he brave to play Hughes and Hendrick for so much at such young ages? Or had he no choice due to finances?

Either way, many managers would have gone for solid, dependable journeymen and we probably wouldn't have seen the quality that those two have shown over the last couple of years not to mention the value to the club.

We'd possibly get £15m if we sold them both, £10m for Hughsey and £5m for Jeff I would say is an achievable amount.

Not that I want either to go. I want to see both playing and prospering in the Premier League for DCFC.

I think it will happen and I for one will thank Nigel Clough for his contribution in laying the foundations for others to build on.!

I think that if we had signed him from Killie, when he was in form, I think we would have got a player full of confidence and seen something more from him. The game he scored his first goal against Watford he looked unplayable.

Archived