Nigel Clough

Day

But if you can get all the ingredients from 'Poundworld' then an excellent chef  turned it into a world class meal then you can still be proud that you brought in the ingredients so cheaply.

Here is a question. Which of the Clough signings are playing significantly better than they were when Clough was here?  Whose perceived transfer value has increased in real terms, not just because of football inflation?

Martin, for sure. even if we'd signed him for £1-2m, he's worth more than that now.

Russell, perhaps? Hard to say, he's yet to have a full season.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin, for sure. even if we'd signed him for £1-2m, he's worth more than that now.

Russell, perhaps? Hard to say, he's yet to have a full season.

I thought about the same as you AnimalisaRam. In this team with five Clough bought players, they were good enough then and now.

I thought about the same as you AnimalisaRam. In this team with five Clough bought players, they were good enough then and now.

My main issue under the Clough regime was that the players were better than the results were showing, it was in fact many of the posters (pro-Clough) who suggested we needed to spend loads of money getting players, when really, all we needed was a good manager!

My main issue under the Clough regime was that the players were better than the results were showing, it was in fact many of the posters (pro-Clough) who suggested we needed to spend loads of money getting players, when really, all we needed was a good manager!

And £3m for Shackell, £2.5m for Thorne, £2m for Weimann, £4m for Tom Ince, £6m for Johnson, £5m for Butterfield......

And £3m for Shackell, £2.5m for Thorne, £2m for Weimann, £4m for Tom Ince, £6m for Johnson, £5m for Butterfield......

sorry Ramnut, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but guessing seeing as you quoted the summer signings you were suggesting that the club did need to spend loads. If this is the case, I'd like to point out that in the interim period of Nigel leaving and those signings, we actually played awesome football and rocketed up the league using the players that Nigel couldn't inspire, so much so that we were a dodgy Keogh clearance away from possible promotion at Wembley.

It's somewhat derisory to suggest that we went straight from Nigel under-achieving directly to a summer of splashing cash out, when there was 18 relatively (by comparison) successful months in between.

sorry Ramnut, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but guessing seeing as you quoted the summer signings you were suggesting that the club did need to spend loads. If this is the case, I'd like to point out that in the interim period of Nigel leaving and those signings, we actually played awesome football and rocketed up the league using the players that Nigel couldn't inspire, so much so that we were a dodgy Keogh clearance away from possible promotion at Wembley.

It's somewhat derisory to suggest that we went straight from Nigel under-achieving directly to a summer of splashing cash out, when there was 18 relatively (by comparison) successful months in between.

we also played some unbelievably ***** football after the wheels came off.

"you can't win **** all on a tiny budget FACT " rafa benitez

we also played some unbelievably ***** football after the wheels came off.

"you can't win **** all on a tiny budget FACT " rafa benitez

Nigel said today he would have been better off maybe if he had spent more money  for the here and now at the time  and not concentrated on the future with the academy and bringing players through so much etc .

He said he should have spent more on the first team at the time  

At least that was the essence of what he said in a response to Sav saying he's the ideal manager for building teams and not spending a lot of money. 

I think that's what was said anyhow but I don't want to misquote him. 

Archived