Nigel Clough

Day

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel is a bit of an enigma to me.

He steadied the ship at a period of chaos, helped restore the finances, provided opportunities for young players  and proved to be a really good judge of players from the lower divisions and Scotland. Without him there was every chance of us dropping back into League One following the appalling reign of Jewell.  Just look at the list of players who he brought in : Bryson, Russell, Forsyth, Martin, Shackell, Keogh, Davies, Grant, Ward, Barker, Brayford. All of them did very well for Derby County and most are still the backbone of our team over two years later. Even other ones quickly discarded by him (Salmon, Maguire)  weren't that bad in my opinion.

But his sporting philosophy was quite simply wrong. You cannot play any sport with the intention of not losing. And on far too many occasions that is precisely what Nigel chose to do. He didn't actually allow his team to play to its peak and express itself. Whether it was the first game of the season at home , going one or two up then demanding that his team spent the rest of the game behind the ball (even for 45 minutes or more) or dominating a match away from home for most of the game only to play out the last half hour with the sole intention of only taking a point. Not only will this approach, almost by definition, lead to failure, but it also provides a hugely frustrating spectacle that few fans will wish to repeat on a regular basis.

So Forest it is for Cloughie - it is only a matter of time.

PistoldPete2

Forest might go for steviie Mac when he gets the sack at Newcastle. Or nige. They do seem to go for ex Rams managers. Sir Brian and billy Davies being amongst them. Mind you we went for steviie Mac after forest did. 

Forest might go for steviie Mac when he gets the sack at Newcastle. Or nige. They do seem to go for ex Rams managers. Sir Brian and billy Davies being amongst them. Mind you we went for steviie Mac after forest did. 

and we took dave Mackay back after he had managed forest !

Not hot desking then?

This is exactly why I'd like to see Nige as assistant to PC.

A Clough Taylor duo, or now a Clement Clough Combo!

Playing to both their strengths.

Would work in theory but not going to happen. Give Clough a scouting job till he gets a manger's job if he wants it

Half of our best eleven are Clough signings. I rest my case.

I used to work on big cases but I have a table now.

I don't really understand what you mean. A managers job is to find players, find a style and system that suits them, the manger should be able to motivate them so they play their best and also on the training ground improve them. Then the most important thing is getting good results. He wasn't scout or head of recruitment he was the manager. 

But if you can get all the ingredients from 'Poundworld' then an excellent chef  turned it into a world class meal then you can still be proud that you brought in the ingredients so cheaply.

Here is a question. Which of the Clough signings are playing significantly better than they were when Clough was here?  Whose perceived transfer value has increased in real terms, not just because of football inflation?

Archived