Burton Albion

Day

Just turned 50. Lived on Hall Lane, next to the Willington House Hotel. I even worked there as a youth ... Still drink in the Village when I can. 

And as for Repton !! That's where we did our 'growing up' with the Derby High school girls ! 

you might be on the young side for my mum's family, although you might know my uncle Dennis. Did you know the Weatherall family?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Historically loads of Derby fans came from Burton. We'll lose a fair number of future fans now they have a league club.

It was ok to support DCFC and  the Brewers while they were a small non-league club, now its different, if they maintain their league status over the next few years, generations will grow up in the Burton area supporting them instead of us, quite rightly I may add. You should support your home town team (or at least your parents or grandparents team).

The way they are going they will be our main rivals if the Kuwait comedy show continues!

No need to be so bitter. I'm guessing you're one of those that live on the opposite side of Derby?

I'm no Bitter at all so stop 'trying' to pick the argument so leave it. 

I'm not the one saying that Burton are a tinpot club. Many Derby fans see Burton as a "second club" and it can be quicker to get to the pirelli than the ipro depending on where abouts in Derby you are from.

I think you will find Grimsby is the second club of choice for Derby fans, or it should be

Historically loads of Derby fans came from Burton. We'll lose a fair number of future fans now they have a league club.

It was ok to support DCFC and  the Brewers while they were a small non-league club, now its different, if they maintain their league status over the next few years, generations will grow up in the Burton area supporting them instead of us, quite rightly I may add. You should support your home town team (or at least your parents or grandparents team).

The way they are going they will be our main rivals if the Kuwait comedy show continues!

this this and this, i've grew up in Swadlincote, so burton was literally a 5-10 minute drive away, and since my parents were born and bred in burton as well my family all have a special affinity towards the club, when i was first bought into football burton were the local plucky non-league side, but never as exciting as a top tier football team like so i ended up supporting derby but always looking out for their results, because of that i always will look out for them, if burton circa 10 years ago were the club they are now then no doubt id be cheering on jimmy floyd hasselbaink rather than mr clement

this this and this, i've grew up in Swadlincote, so burton was literally a 5-10 minute drive away, and since my parents were born and bred in burton as well my family all have a special affinity towards the club, when i was first bought into football burton were the local plucky non-league side, but never as exciting as a top tier football team like so i ended up supporting derby but always looking out for their results, because of that i always will look out for them, if burton circa 10 years ago were the club they are now then no doubt id be cheering on jimmy floyd hasselbaink rather than mr clement

Our fan base is suddenly smaller due to Burton's rise up the football pyramid. Nowt to be done about it short term but its maybe something the club should consider long term as in working hard to attract kids from the borderlands, east and west.

Just turned 50. Lived on Hall Lane, next to the Willington House Hotel. I even worked there as a youth ... Still drink in the Village when I can. 

And as for Repton !! That's where we did our 'growing up' with the Derby High school girls ! 

I lived in Willington from the age of 5 (1968) up until I was 11. I too have a bit of a weak spot for the Brewers (an even bigger one for the actual brewers at Marstons). I suppose it's because Burton was very local and we'd go there to do the shopping. I also remember when Burton played Leicester at the BBG in the FA cup. Derby had been knocked out in the previous round and the club offered them the chance to make a bit more money by playing at the BBG. Went along to watch it. It was my first ever game as a semi neutral, made easier because it was against Leicester obviously. I'm pleased for "the little tin-pot club" and their fans.

It's not the area covered by Radio Derby. The actual city of Derby isn't perfectly central to the area it covered - you can't just get a map, and a compass, and draw circles of an exact radius around every city and say "this is where each radio station should cover".

Burton is in East Staffordshire, and area which gravitates more naturally towards the city of Derby than Stoke. It makes sense for Derby to be its local station - just as how Chesterfield gravitates towards Sheffield despite being in Derbyshire.

No need for Radio Derby to cover Notts County, as that's covered by BBC Radio Nottingham. You see cities in the UK aren't spaced perfectly apart in blocks and squares so this three miles thing makes no sense.

Thank you. You speak 100% sense.

Archived