Burton Albion

Day

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact, here's a question - which BBC Radio station devotes its entire live football programme to just one team and/or ignores one of its local sides?

Without listening to every BBC radio station I am unable to answer this question.

from the bloke who gets all defensive when people slag off Ch5's football coverage... moaning about having to listen to stuff about another local team.

I'm not moaning, just saying I have no time for Burton Albion. Nottingham is also local, just 3 miles more than Derby and Burton, I have no interest in Notts County either....should I? or is that 3 miles the tipping point?

I'm not moaning, just saying I have no time for Burton Albion. Nottingham is also local, just 3 miles more than Derby and Burton, I have no interest in Notts County either....should I? or is that 3 miles the tipping point?

It's not the area covered by Radio Derby. The actual city of Derby isn't perfectly central to the area it covered - you can't just get a map, and a compass, and draw circles of an exact radius around every city and say "this is where each radio station should cover".

Burton is in East Staffordshire, and area which gravitates more naturally towards the city of Derby than Stoke. It makes sense for Derby to be its local station - just as how Chesterfield gravitates towards Sheffield despite being in Derbyshire.

No need for Radio Derby to cover Notts County, as that's covered by BBC Radio Nottingham. You see cities in the UK aren't spaced perfectly apart in blocks and squares so this three miles thing makes no sense.

Never understand why Radio Derby mention them all the time? They're in Staffordshire ffs. Tinpot club tinpot fans 

I'm from Burton and whilst I don't have any real affinity towards them, it's a shame that you are saying things like this. You don't have to like them but surely you can appreciate them as a football success story? They were only established in the fifties and have risen through the leagues incredibly quickly, without spending any money, and if it was any other team, I'm sure you wouldn't mind them. I don't have a problem with RD covering them because it is specified as Derbyshire and East Staffordshire, and after all, they're only one league below us and as the tables currently stand, they'll be in the same division as us next season. Calling them tinpot is just plain snobby, as it seems as though you think we're a more worthy team than they are just because we have more history, more money and a bigger fan base.

It's not the area covered by Radio Derby. The actual city of Derby isn't perfectly central to the area it covered - you can't just get a map, and a compass, and draw circles of an exact radius around every city and say "this is where each radio station should cover".

Burton is in East Staffordshire, and area which gravitates more naturally towards the city of Derby than Stoke. It makes sense for Derby to be its local station - just as how Chesterfield gravitates towards Sheffield despite being in Derbyshire.

No need for Radio Derby to cover Notts County, as that's covered by BBC Radio Nottingham. You see cities in the UK aren't spaced perfectly apart in blocks and squares so this three miles thing makes no sense.

Burton smells as well when you drive into the place

I always scan for burtons results, i always drive to burton to buy my dcfc home shirts, don't ask me why..tradition maybe

Then you have to wash them soon as you get in to get the smell off and the Ram transfer falls off and you end up returning to the shop?

I grew up in Willington and if the wind was right , I could SMELL Burton from my back garden ! ( Not a bad thing if you like Marmite and Ale !). 

My mates and I would often alternate our Saturday afternoons between the BBG and Eton Park in the mid-80's when Warnock was their boss . Happy days especially if you got into their bar under the main stand early enough so you could grab the window seat and watch the whole game with a beer in your hand !!

I grew up in Willington and if the wind was right , I could SMELL Burton from my back garden ! ( Not a bad thing if you like Marmite and Ale !). 

My mates and I would often alternate our Saturday afternoons between the BBG and Eton Park in the mid-80's when Warnock was their boss . Happy days especially if you got into their bar under the main stand early enough so you could grab the window seat and watch the whole game with a beer in your hand !!

what age group are you in if you don't mind me asking? 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s? 

My mum's family grew up in Willington and Repton in the 1950s to 1970s

what age group are you in if you don't mind me asking? 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s? 

My mum's family grew up in Willington and Repton in the 1950s to 1970s

Just turned 50. Lived on Hall Lane, next to the Willington House Hotel. I even worked there as a youth ... Still drink in the Village when I can. 

And as for Repton !! That's where we did our 'growing up' with the Derby High school girls ! 

Archived