Burton Albion

Day

I will never understand Derby fans interest in Burton and wish Radio Derby would not give them the air time but ******* hell they are doing well.

You don't look at the league table until Christmas but just look at it now and when you think of some of the clubs down there like Sheff Utd and Wigan they are doing a damn fine job. 

Screen_Shot_2015-09-24_at_11.44.21.thumb

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nottingham is only 3 miles further than what Derby is to Burton, that 3 miles extra allows them their own radio station and a rivalry to be created.

I've just moved house 4 miles yet in the same town.

Oh but it's little old Burton, bless em in their yellow shirts. 

I grew up in South Derbyshire (a small village just outside Swadlincote) and Burton Albion were the top non-league team in the area at the time (barring a brief challenge from Gresley Rovers).  Like a lot of other guys from the area whenever we couldn't get to Derby we'd go down and watch the Brewers.

I guess it depends from what side of Derby you're from as to how much interest you have in Burton Albion. I personally think they have a good set up, a good chairman and have done really well for themselves in recent years - although I also think they are massively over-achieving too.

I grew up in South Derbyshire (a small village just outside Swadlincote) and Burton Albion were the top non-league team in the area at the time (barring a brief challenge from Gresley Rovers).  Like a lot of other guys from the area whenever we couldn't get to Derby we'd go down and watch the Brewers.

I guess it depends from what side of Derby you're from as to how much interest you have in Burton Albion. I personally think they have a good set up, a good chairman and have done really well for themselves in recent years - although I also think they are massively over-achieving too.

This, people from Heatherton and Mickleover are more likely to have an interest in Burton than let's say people from Alvaston because the pirelli stadium isn't too far from them.

don't understand all the bitterness towards Burton Albion. They aren't even a rival club, and have never been a threat. They've been good to send young players to over the years to get experience, and to allow us to judge them.

I'm in the city of Derby, but I feel like I'm a stone's throw away from Burton. Whereas Chesterfield seems like a massive distance away for me, almost in Yorkshire.

I can remember hearing Burton Albion updates easily 20 years ago, longer than some of the posters on here have been alive. Why should they change just cos of childish bitterness.

If you don't like it, simple, don't listen!

Nottingham is only 3 miles further than what Derby is to Burton, that 3 miles extra allows them their own radio station and a rivalry to be created.

I've just moved house 4 miles yet in the same town.

Oh but it's little old Burton, bless em in their yellow shirts. 

So which local radio station do you propose covers their games?

I've no issue with Burton whatsoever, like Mostyn said, I have more of an affinity with them than Chesterfield.  

I've enjoyed watching our friendlies there and have vowed to go back and watch a league game if the chance arises and we're away.  Nice little ground, nice little club...

Of course if we were to end up in the same division and they happen to get one over on us a couple of times I'm sure my dislike of them would grow quite abruptly!

I don't have bitterness and don't know why anyone would think I do. 

I just don't like all the coverage when I'm listening to Derby games because I'm not interested in it. 

You would hate living other places then, places like radio Sheffield cover both Sheffield teams, Doncaster, Rotherham, Chesterfield and then a few of the non league ones.

I don't have bitterness and don't know why anyone would think I do. 

I just don't like all the coverage when I'm listening to Derby games because I'm not interested in it. 

As emjlc02 says, do you have any idea how fortunate we are to listen to a local radio station which only has two Football League or Conference teams to cover?

He gave the example of Sheffield but there's also BBC Radio Merseyside covering Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere, Nottingham covering Notts Forest, County and Mansfield and I can't even be bothered to type out the teams covered by Radio Lancashire.

The BBC has a duty to cover the country with its local radio services and Radio Derby is pretty clear about the fact it serves Derbyshire and East Staffordshire. It doesn't exist solely for Derby County fans.

Archived