Car you currently drive?

AmericanRam

Can anyone recommend me a car? I've started driving more as part of my job, want something a bit more efficient than my current car. Got a people carrier at the moment, which seems daft considering its me in the car most of the time. Do want some practicality though, being a scout leader..

No such luck for a company car, too young for the insurance.

Ideally a 5dr hatch or smaller saloon, not French (not racist, just bad experience with a family Renault), manual, and probably diesel.

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Can anyone recommend me a car? I've started driving more as part of my job, want something a bit more efficient than my current car. Got a people carrier at the moment, which seems daft considering its me in the car most of the time. Do want some practicality though, being a scout leader..

Ideally a 5dr hatch or smaller saloon, not French (not racist, just bad experience with a family Renault), manual, and probably diesel.

My friend's a big fan of the Volvo XC90 Twin-Engine (Plug-in Hybrid) but I've no idea how much it costs. That's a SUV/Crossover though. Volvo V60 Twin-Engine? 

The only person I know who goes on about how great is car is only drives Volvos :lol:

18 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

a lot depends on budget, and also mileage. I do minimum 600 miles a week, so got a strong 2.0l diesel. I had a few hire cars before that, which were nice for whizzing about Derby, but flying down the M1 wasn't too great.

I had a Kia Ceed, which was surprisingly good in the city and on the motorway, also a focus zetec 1.3 which I enjoyed.

19 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I have heard good things about Hyundai/Kia vehicles, reliability and driveability and fantastic deals on finance at the moment, might be worth looking at, the common rail diesels which are terrific engines and pull like a train.

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

a lot depends on budget, and also mileage. I do minimum 600 miles a week, so got a strong 2.0l diesel. I had a few hire cars before that, which were nice for whizzing about Derby, but flying down the M1 wasn't too great.

I had a Kia Ceed, which was surprisingly good in the city and on the motorway, also a focus zetec 1.3 which I enjoyed.

Averaging about 200 miles a week, but the nature of the job might mean a slog down to Wales, or Wycombe or up to Carlisle.

I've had my eye on the new shape Ceeds, but questioned whether a 1.6 diesel would be strong enough on the motorways. I'd like to stick with Toyota, but the only diesel Auris is a 1.4, and I don't need as big a car as the Avensis or Verso.

I've a budget of about £8k, so obviously used and not looking that new or low miles.

Do not bother with an Auris, I had one on hire for two weeks last summer and had to take it back and swap it. Felt like it would fall apart on the motorway, didn't feel safe in anyway. Great around Derby in the city though. It felt less sturdy that a god-awful Renault Captur I had for a week!

20 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Averaging about 200 miles a week, but the nature of the job might mean a slog down to Wales, or Wycombe or up to Carlisle.

I've had my eye on the new shape Ceeds, but questioned whether a 1.6 diesel would be strong enough on the motorways. I'd like to stick with Toyota, but the only diesel Auris is a 1.4, and I don't need as big a car as the Avensis or Verso.

I've a budget of about £8k, so obviously used and not looking that new or low miles.

For what it's worth..... I Do about 25 - 30,000 miles a year. Vast majority of it on motorway. The last 3 cars I've had, have all been 1.6 diesels. Never had an issue with the engine size. 

27 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

On the basis that I had a 1.7 Litre KIA Optima (Large saloon) diesel, I would say the 1.6 Ceed should be fine. The 1.7 was as powerful as my old 2 litre BMW 118d.

Smaller engine capacity really isnt too much of an issue these days. Go back 10-20 years and having a 1.6 in a large car was like driving a Flinstones car but nowadays engines are more economical and thus produce more usable power. The Qashqai I have had for the last 3 years is 1.6 and for the size of the car I was expecting it to struggle a bit and need winding up on the motorway but its very nippy and I have rarely had to drop down a gear to get more speed for overtaking.

4 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Handy to know, thanks. What cars were those?

Boring ones to suit my personality. Focus 1.6, Seat Ibiza 1.6  and currently Volvo S40 1.6. All Diesel. Before the focus, was a civic type R. That was brilliant, but expensive to run, given my milage :(

On the small engine thing - Mrs Wolfie recently bought a Fiesta 1.0 turbo and it's a great little car with plenty of power. It's amazing that they can get 125BHP out of a 3 cylinder 1.0 engine nowadays.

The fuel economy isn't particularly great though - but maybe she just thrashes it.

12 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

...which will add about £1.90 to the average car insurance premium per year.

True - although it's on the back of two previous large rises (and knowing how unethical insurance companies are, you know they will bump premiums more than 0.5%..)

. At least fuel duty hasn't been increased.

45 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

...which will add about £1.90 to the average car insurance premium per year.

Yes but from 3.0% to 9.5% in twelve months is bordering on insanity, your just driving insurance companies to tax havens en masse, I can't compete with foreign based insurers .larger insurers will use pointless add on cover to maintain profits or lose employees.