Car you currently drive?

AmericanRam

I currently own a battered old MKIV Golf V5.  Counting the days that I can get rid of it cus it's lumpen, slow (surprising, considering it's 230bhp), thirsty as hell and is covered in dents, prangs & scratches.

Considering either an A3, 1 Series, or Leon Cupra as a replacement.  Anybody enlighten me on any of those??

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Currently got a BMW M140i...it's very nice and very fast but I think I'm rapidly reaching the age where something with more pliant suspension might be better for my knackered old back.

IMG_20190201_130541.jpg

Lovely motor.

That is what I popped into Sytner to buy a few months back, only for the salesman to say there weren't any new 5 door ones left in the country!

He then tried to sell me a nearly new one for 8k more than the advertised price of a new one!

37 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I currently own a battered old MKIV Golf V5.  Counting the days that I can get rid of it cus it's lumpen, slow (surprising, considering it's 230bhp), thirsty as hell and is covered in dents, prangs & scratches.

Considering either an A3, 1 Series, or Leon Cupra as a replacement.  Anybody enlighten me on any of those??

Traded in my Cupra SC 290 last Friday, 3 years from new and no real problems.

Very quick off the mark if you caught the traction control right, in gear acceleration was superb, especially with the DSG box always ready to kick down, and the adaptive suspension worked really well and made a noticeable difference to the ride, which wasn't overly harsh even in Cupra mode.

Fuel economy pretty decent, I did 6000 miles of predominantly town driving and got around 25 mpg displayed, but with stop start I filled it less often than the 1.8 FR that preceded it, and a main dealer service was never more than £220 quid.

It's not quite a Golf R build wise, but then again it was a lot cheaper once discount and equipment was taken into account.

43 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Lovely motor.

That is what I popped into Sytner to buy a few months back, only for the salesman to say there weren't any new 5 door ones left in the country!

He then tried to sell me a nearly new one for 8k more than the advertised price of a new one!

The Derby BMW dealer was terrible,I ended up walking out and buying it from Sytners Nottingham instead who were brilliant to be fair.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I've got an 18 plate a3, my sister has an 09 a3

Both very much vw golf's in a frock and a few extra toys 

Nice though. I've done 40k so far in mine since November and it's giving me 60 odd to the gallon, and dead comfy. 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The Derby BMW dealer was terrible,I ended up walking out and buying it from Sytners Nottingham instead who were brilliant to be fair.

Funny you say that. I did the same, I walked out on Derby Mercedes and went to Leicester Mercedes instead.

The initial customer 'service' in Derby was terrible. 

On 13/08/2019 at 07:02, SouthStandDan said:

Thinking of buying a mk2 MX-5 for £1,600. Only done 57k miles, everything looks original. It's in a horrid orange colour but I'd have it re-sprayed. And it still has a cassette player.

Anyone owned one before?

Had a few but the tapes always got in a right tangle.

8 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Currently got a BMW M140i...it's very nice and very fast but I think I'm rapidly reaching the age where something with more pliant suspension might be better for my knackered old back.

IMG_20190201_130541.jpg

That’s a souped up hearse isn’t it?