Johnny Russell new contract.

DcFc Dyycheee

DERBY are ready to hand flying Scot Johnny Russell a lucrative new contract

Russell, 25, has been the stand-out performer in Paul Clement’s side this season despite fearing for his future when new buys were brought in.

And now the Rams, who visit Reading tonight, will reward him with improved terms to bring him in line with some of the summer signings.

Russell will also have his deal extended for a further three seasons, with Derby keen to keep their squad happy as they go all out for promotion. - Sun

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really? Think he gets the easiest ride of any player we have. 

I think this possibly true if this evening were anything to go by. Whilst he did a lot of tracking, and had a couple of mazy runs (which from memory didn't lead to much), overall he wasn't greatly effective tonight, but "Super Johnny Russell" must have been sang at least 4 times, including (a bit embarrassingly) when all the players came over collectively after the game. I don't really have a problem with Johnny on this, but surely as fans there are many other players that we can all sing about aren't there?

I think this possibly true if this evening were anything to go by. Whilst he did a lot of tracking, and had a couple of mazy runs (which from memory didn't lead to much), overall he wasn't greatly effective tonight, but "Super Johnny Russell" must have been sang at least 4 times, including (a bit embarrassingly) when all the players came over collectively after the game. I don't really have a problem with Johnny on this, but surely as fans there are many other players that we can all sing about aren't there?

It's just his personality and the way he carries himself. I have no problem with it, but it shouldn't make him immune to criticism like it does so often.

to be fair, he managed to get a corner almost waist height, whereas Tom's didn't clear knees.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-forward-johnny-russell-pens-new-contract-2697138.aspx#LYfDMHWBpY54JHVV.99

Derby County forward Johnny Russell has today put pen-to-paper on a new contract.

The 25-year-old Scotland international has signed a deal which will run until the summer of 2018.

Russell, a hugely popular figure amongst supporters, has been in fine form in the opening weeks of the 2015/16 campaign.

He scored crucial equalisers in the draws against Middlesbrough and Birmingham City in August, while he has also provided some important assists for his team-mates.

Head Coach Paul Clement commented: “Johnny Russell has had a very good start to the season and he has earned his new deal.

“He performed well in pre-season and it’s pleasing that he has taken that form into the season itself.

“Johnny continually shows a willingness to learn and improve, which is always pleasing to see.”

He added: “Johnny is a popular member of the dressing room and he’s also someone that the fans regard very highly, so it’s pleasing to see him commit his future by signing the contract we put to him.”

Russell joined Derby in the summer of 2013 from Scottish Premiership side Dundee United, despite interest from a number of clubs north and south of the border.

He was a regular in the side during the 2013/14 campaign as Derby reached the Play-Off Final, scoring nine times.

Memorably, he scored Derby’s Goal of the Season with a powerful strike from distance as the Rams thrashed local rivals Nottingham Forest 5-0 in March 2014.

He found the net a further eight times last term and his excellent form saw him make his international debut for Scotland in November 2014, coming off the bench in Scotland’s 3-1 friendly defeat against England.

Russell has since remained a regular face in the Scotland squad since making his debut and added two more caps to his name before the end of last season.

Archived