Newcastle United 2015-16 season

i-Ram

So he gave the wrong answers and stubbornly picked the wrong teams. His fault. Newcastle came in and his head went. 

Blew it when he could have been a legend.

He made mistakes with team selections which I'm sure he will hold his hands up to, was he allowed to bring in players during the injury crisis or was he left with what he had with the new potential owner already set on bringing in a new man, his man? 

If we had £20m to spend, why wasn't it spent when we was within reach of the Premier League? 

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other quote that got me was while he was still here, something about not commenting on speculation out of respect for John Carver. Now I understand it might be not be the nicest thing to comment on a job someone else may or may not get permanently but wasn't that Newcastles problem? The same Newcastle who showed Carver respect by trying to employ McClaren in January?

Surely McClarens respect should have been first and foremost to his employers by being honest with them about what he wanted? Or to the players he'd helped convince to turn down Premier League moves?

Anyway, like you said it's history. He got what he wanted and like some others I'll probably not be able to help being glad if it goes tits up for him. "Thisch isch football!"

The same McClaren who had seemingly arranged all the details and formalities to come to Derby in the first place, knowing that Clough was on his way soon. Two days later, he, along with Steele and Simmo, had sorted out joining the club? Hmm... Where was the respect for Nige?

But still got the move he always wanted.

"Always wanted to join" though. So he's buttering up the Toon fans?

Why wouldn't he want to join Newcastle? they are a huge club compared to Derby and a massive opportunity, yet he turned them down in January to finish the job which he started?

The same McClaren who had seemingly arranged all the details and formalities to come to Derby in the first place, knowing that Clough was on his way soon. Two days later, he, along with Steele and Simmo, had sorted out joining the club? Hmm... Where was the respect for Nige?

Welcome to the world of football, which rock have you been hiding under for the last 50 years?

Why wouldn't he want to join Newcastle? they are a huge club compared to Derby and a massive opportunity, yet he turned them down in January to finish the job which he started?

What incentive do we have to believe that? Seems more likely to me, being the careerist that we both know he is, that he turned down Newcastle in Jan (if indeed he did- no official approach was made) because they were on the slide and on their way down, while Derby looked like getting promoted. I think he wanted the job at the end of the season if they stayed up, hence why he HIMSELF reignited the Newcastle debate when the season ended, to cause more controversy and to seemingly engineer his own dismissal, knowing that Ashley wanted him but wouldn't pay compo, being the tight-fisted whatnot that he is.

To be honest, I expected him to fail, and I hope he continues to do so.

Will always be thankful for the first 15 months at Derby but he had something good here and he ****** it. The Newcastle thing obviously derailed our season and we never really looked like winning games. We had injuries in key positions and still persisted with formations that didn't suit our side.

Newcastle fans weren't over the moon with him. He perhaps stayed in January because a promotion was on the cards and that would have gave him better backing from the fans, but it was pretty clear that he would end up in the PL regardless this season.

He turned them down 3 times because he knew full well there was a strong chance of him dealing with a Premier League fall-out side. When sacked he was delighted to be there, he'd always wanted it, so he says.

A bit like the Poison Dwarf in the sense he was loved here and whilst here had successes, but I really don't care, nor wish him any successes in the future.

Welcome to the world of football, which rock have you been hiding under for the last 50 years?

No, that's fine, I understand that's the world of football. Why didn't he? Why come out with this 'respect for Carver' rubbish? And why then also go and watch a Newcastle youth game and talk to Carver when our form was slipping? Did he not realise the controversy he was causing. He's greasy, and the **** never sticks with him, but it really should.

Good point. Even as he said it I thought respecting Carver was just an excuse to avoid answering any awkward questions and keeping his options open. Fair enough I guess, but our board obviously want someone a bit more committed. 

What incentive do we have to believe that? Seems more likely to me, being the careerist that we both know he is, that he turned down Newcastle in Jan (if indeed he did- no official approach was made) because they were on the slide and on their way down, while Derby looked like getting promoted. I think he wanted the job at the end of the season if they stayed up, hence why he HIMSELF reignited the Newcastle debate when the season ended, to cause more controversy and to seemingly engineer his own dismissal, knowing that Ashley wanted him but wouldn't pay compo, being the tight-fisted whatnot that he is.

Sounds like a cracking soap opera story line does that, guess it fits your agenda tho which makes it even more believable 

Regardless of what you think about the man, he failed at Derby County.

I always said it was a poor appointment and so it proved. 

His last three appointments: He failed at Forest, he failed at Derby and he is failing at Newcastle. 

The guy is tactically naive as was proven if any of you watched the NUFC game last night. He has a system of playing and if that doesn't work, he hasn't a clue. 

He is living of past glories.

No, that's fine, I understand that's the world of football. Why didn't he? Why come out with this 'respect for Carver' rubbish? And why then also go and watch a Newcastle youth game and talk to Carver when our form was slipping? Did he not realise the controversy he was causing. He's greasy, and the **** never sticks with him, but it really should.

Maybe he is mates with Carver unlike Clough, maybe he was looking at a Newcastle youth player to bring into the U21's like Jonathan Mitchell?

His last three appointments: He failed at Forest, he failed at Derby and he is failing at Newcastle. 

The guy is tactically naive as was proven if any of you watched the NUFC game last night. He has a system of playing and if that doesn't work, he hasn't a clue. 

He is living of past glories.

Turned us into a serious promotion candidates from an average boring mid table team which finished 3rd in his first season and dominated a Play Off final for 90 minutes. Brought us the best football we have seen since Jim Smith, created a buzz around the club again, improved home attendances and doubled away attendances, not bad for someone without a clue.

Wouldn't say he failed. We played the best football in a long time and lost a game which 9/10 we would have won, and been a PL side. Switch the fortunes the other way round where we have a poor first 3 months and a great 15 months following and he's a legend.

He failed in terms of getting us to the PL. He succeeded in many ways. However he ****** it up for us and himself in the final three months, and got given the easy way out by the board. He was always going to go Newcastle and even got compensation out of it!

Maybe he is mates with Carver unlike Clough, maybe he was looking at a Newcastle youth player to bring into the U21's like Jonathan Mitchell?

Maybe, maybe, maybe. We'll never know will we? That's the problem. Guarded and secretive, and sometimes downright dishonest. If you give half truths and don't give the full story, people will fill in the gaps. That's why he never got on with the national press as England boss. "Write whatever you want to write" he told them? And so they did...

Wouldn't say he failed. We played the best football in a long time and lost a game which 9/10 we would have won, and been a PL side. Switch the fortunes the other way round where we have a poor first 3 months and a great 15 months following and he's a legend.

He failed in terms of getting us to the PL. He succeeded in many ways. However he ****** it up for us and himself in the final three months, and got given the easy way out by the board. He was always going to go Newcastle and even got compensation out of it!

Just to add, a 54.26% win ratio, only bettered by Ted Magner in 1946 (yes I did Google that)

Just to add, a 54.26% win ratio, only bettered by Ted Magner in 1946 (yes I did Google that)

I know, he was loved by most up until you know happened. So for people to say they always backed him to fail is maybe slightly harsh.

It was always clear though, in hindsight, he lacked something that managers like Davies could do. We couldn't grind out wins, and we weren't adaptable. Teams found it easy to play against us come season 2 of his reign. He was quite stubborn in terms of style of play. He clutched hold of the 4-3-3 that he was successful with initially despite not having the players to play it for half of the second season.

Maybe, maybe, maybe. We'll never know will we? That's the problem. Guarded and secretive, and sometimes downright dishonest. If you give half truths and don't give the full story, people will fill in the gaps. That's why he never got on with the national press as England boss. "Write whatever you want to write" he told them? And so they did...

So why want the bloke that has given us the best win ratio since the 1940's to fail? Fill the gaps but try to be fair, McClaren hasn't spoken a bad word about us since being sacked, sit back and think where the club was and is before he joined. I've heard Mel and some of the reasons behind the sacked are iffy to say the least, sometimes it can just be if a face doesn't fit. 

Needs to be a relationship between owner and manager, if it isn't there it just won't work. You only have to look at the money spent since Clough left, put yourself in the owners shoes, if you're going to want to spunk millions into the team you want a man who you can trust, who you like, get on with. Maybe it just wasn't there with McClaren, maybe finds wasn't released to cover our injury crisis which was real, I sometimes think people forget the injuries we had which started the downwards spiral last season. 

I do find it somewhat humorous when a fan can accuse a manager/coach - not only that, one who was considered to be the best/most qualified to manage his national football team a few years ago - of being 'tactically naive'.

So why want the bloke that has given us the best win ratio since the 1940's to fail? Fill the gaps but try to be fair, McClaren hasn't spoken a bad word about us since being sacked, sit back and think where the club was and is before he joined. I've heard Mel and some of the reasons behind the sacked are iffy to say the least, sometimes it can just be if a face doesn't fit. 

Needs to be a relationship between owner and manager, if it isn't there it just won't work. You only have to look at the money spent since Clough left, put yourself in the owners shoes, if you're going to want to spunk millions into the team you want a man who you can trust, who you like, get on with. Maybe it just wasn't there with McClaren, maybe finds wasn't released to cover our injury crisis which was real, I sometimes think people forget the injuries we had which started the downwards spiral last season. 

Mel didn't trust him, but that was his downfall. He didn't make himself trustworthy. He was too guarded. And then he did have bad things to say. Backhanded compliments and barbed comments, especially in his statement when he left the club. And then to say he always wanted to join is unjustifiable whichever way you look at it.

Archived