Brian Close Dies

Ovis aries

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard as nails. The story goes he took a full blooded drive on the forehead and shouted 'catch!' as it rebounded.

He was also resposible for the law that states 20 overs to be bowled from the commencement of the last hour. Being a dyed in the wool Yarkshireman has motto was 'If yer can't win, don't lose', resulting in a shameful amout of time-wasting in the last hour of an end-of-season match which had a bearing on the destiny of the championship (I believe). Such as each in-coming batsman taking 1 minute 59 seconds to reach the crease. I'll look it up and find the details.

He also once walked straight through a plate-glass door at a hotel he was staying in (during a match).

RIP

Quick edit. Yorkshire were bowling. There's quite a good website dedicated to him. From this I quote "But there were those in the MCC who were wary of Brian, believing him too rash a character to trust in sensitive areas of the world and not realizing that the pride Brian took in captaining his country would not allow him to bring English cricket into disrepute. They had no chance to remove him, though – until Yorkshire played Warwickshire in Birmingham towards the end of the season.
Warwickshire were chasing victory in awkward conditions, but in 100 minutes Yorkshire bowled only 24 overs, very slow for those days, and fell nine runs short. Yorkshire were accused of blatant time-wasting tactics, Brian as captain was held responsible, and he was severely censured by the authorities. Brian stuck to his guns, refusing to apologize and claiming that the damp conditions and his use of pace bowlers were the reasons. The end result was that he was removed from the England captaincy, another decision of dubious credibility in the history of English cricket administration.
"

This was 1968. He did also slow the batting down at times. What a character.

Unfortunately, I recall him as expounding some very intolerant views on TV when questioned as to why Yorkshire  - despite having a large Yourkshire born population of Asian extraction - didn't seem to be bringing any through into the 2nd or 1st XI.

Brian was the club secretary I think at the time.

Wouldn't have it that he and his club were in any way to be questioned. He was right at all times and all the rest of the world could just shove it.

Bit like a bald, more Northern Mostyn.

Unfortunately, I recall him as expounding some very intolerant views on TV when questioned as to why Yorkshire  - despite having a large Yourkshire born population of Asian extraction - didn't seem to be bringing any through into the 2nd or 1st XI.

Brian was the club secretary I think at the time.

Wouldn't have it that he and his club were in any way to be questioned. He was right at all times and all the rest of the world could just shove it.

Bit like a bald, more Northern Mostyn.

I remember that too. I only really caught the very end of his playing career, so didn't know much about him as a player. but clearly remember him in retirement making himself look a bit stupid in that programme.

I remember that too. I only really caught the very end of his playing career, so didn't know much about him as a player. but clearly remember him in retirement making himself look a bit stupid in that programme.

He was a hard sod as a player. Vaguely remember as a kid he was brought back to face the West indies I think in 1976 (the Tony Grieg captaincy summer) when we were being skittled and we were looking for players prepared to front up to face a bowling line up of Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Wayne Daniel and Collis King wearing only a felt cap and a box.

He was a hard sod as a player. Vaguely remember as a kid he was brought back to face the West indies I think in 1976 (the Tony Grieg captaincy summer) when we were being skittled and we were looking for players prepared to front up to face a bowling line up of Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Wayne Daniel and Collis King wearing only a felt cap and a box.

Except he didn't wear the felt cap.............

One of the bravest cricketers I have ever seen play and an underrated captain (unbeaten as England captain)

Archived