Thorne doubt for Preston game, Bryson fit to return

Day

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butterfield     Bryson

Russell           Ince           Johnson

Martin                

I would start playing Ince in the middle, so far this season he's looked more dangerous there.      

have to disagree there - I think has looked his most ineffective when we've played him behind the front 1/2. Far more dangerous when he cuts in from the wing, just a pity he hasnt started firing in the 20 Yarders of last season yet (almost looks like he's been told to shoot less?)

Butterfield     Bryson

Martin                

I would start playing Ince in the middle, so far this season he's looked more dangerous there.      

So you want a six a side team with martin in goal and a back line of Russell, Ince and BJ not bad, we might get out first three points

George Thorne is a good player but if he's that good why we no win a game yet , tell you why he needs runners and legs beside him and Bryson has been a bigger loss than some of you think 

Because it takes more than 1 player to win a match maybe? Bryson was a big loss, but that was before we signed Butterfield and Johnson, but now, when all our players are fit, Bryson is probably the 5th or 6th choice centre mid

George Thorne is a good player but if he's that good why we no win a game yet , tell you why he needs runners and legs beside him and Bryson has been a bigger loss than some of you think 

Agree with the point but how many deep lying midifelders win games on their own?!

Its not necessarily Bryson that we miss, it is getting the ball into Martins feet and having ANY player running off him.

The tactics have changed and we play in a slow laboured way.

As much as I like Bryson I do not feel he would have had much effect on the results so far because we have not played in a way that suits his game.

Agree with the point but how many deep lying midifelders win games on their own?!

Its not necessarily Bryson that we miss, it is getting the ball into Martins feet and having ANY player running off him.

As much as I like Bryson I do not feel he would have had much effect on the results so far because we have not played in a way that suits his game.

I think that we have been desperate for Bryson (or someone taking on that role) and running beyond Martin. We are also missing that role for arriving late for the balls in from the wide areas.

Have to say as good as the CB's have been for defending they could do an awful lot more on the ball to speed things up. Not all the time but sometimes there's acres in front of them that they need to step into. 

I know people don't like to see CB's go on tour but right now no teams are applying pressure to them because the pair of them are killing tempo and are harmless. The aggression has to start with them. You attack from the back and defend from the front. It wasn't always the way under McClaren with Keogh and Buxton.

Teams did try to stop us playing from the back and Keogh and Buxton used to perform better under pressure. Buxton with his decent long balls and Keogh with his little adventures. 

But for some reason when you give our CB's time and space instead of thriving in it, they have a nap. Not all the time. But too often. And it shouldn't take a goal against to wake them up

In my opinion anyway. 

Butterfield     Bryson

Martin                

I feel it's gonna be a diamond, with Johnson on left and butters on right ince at the tip and Thorne at back

Butterfield     Bryson

Martin                

I prefer Ince wide. Karanka didn't like the idea of playing Butterfield there too much. I know Johnson can play wide in a midfield 4 but not sure if he's got the pace to be effective in that formation? Bryson in defensive midfield? He's not disciplined enough and it limits his greatest strength - running.

I think that we have been desperate for Bryson (or someone taking on that role) and running beyond Martin. We are also missing that role for arriving late for the balls in from the wide areas.

I think we need to start getting the ball into Martin before we start worrying about who is making runs off him.

Would be very interested to see some stats on the number of touches Martin is getting and in what areas.

Have to say as good as the CB's have been for defending they could do an awful lot more on the ball to speed things up. Not all the time but sometimes there's acres in front of them that they need to step into. 

I know people don't like to see CB's go on tour but right now no teams are applying pressure to them because the pair of them are killing tempo and are harmless. The aggression has to start with them. You attack from the back and defend from the front. It wasn't always the way under McClaren with Keogh and Buxton.

Teams did try to stop us playing from the back and Keogh and Buxton used to perform better under pressure. Buxton with his decent long balls and Keogh with his little adventures. 

But for some reason when you give our CB's time and space instead of thriving in it, they have a nap. Not all the time. But too often. And it shouldn't take a goal against to wake them up

In my opinion anyway. 

Yes they are a major part of the problem at the moment, people go on about us having 65 - 70% possession but most of the time it is between Keogh and Shackell deep in our own half.

For me there is too big a gap between Thorne and Martin. We need to be getting Thorne on the ball further up the field but as you say this would require the CBs carrying the ball out rather than waiting for Thorne to come back and take it from off their feet!

I think we need to start getting the ball into Martin before we start worrying about who is making runs off him.

Would be very interested to see some stats on the number of touches Martin is getting and in what areas.

According to Whoscored...

Martin touches versus Bolton:

Martin_vs_Bolto.thumb.png.a3594a6b38173a

Martin's touches versus Charlton:

Martin_versus_Charlton.thumb.png.aa11b7b

Martin's touches versus Boro:

Martin_versus_Boro.thumb.png.e869788deb4

Martin's touches versus Birmingham:

Martin_touches_versus_Birmingham.thumb.p

And finally his touches versus Leeds:

Chris_Martin_touches_Leeds.thumb.png.040

I love those average position things. I think you can learn a lot from them. 

Stats etc are quite telling when combined but mean bugger all when seperated

Possession on its own tells you nothing unless you know the score for the majority of the match and the territory. v Charlton I thought we were spot on. Should have won that

I love those average position things. I think you can learn a lot from them. 

Stats etc are quite telling when combined but mean bugger all when seperated

The problem with averaging is that it doesn't show the whole picture. If a fullbacks average position is on the halfway line, he's either been bombing up down all game, or has spent a long time on the halfway line!

Archived