England vs Australia 2015 ODI Series

Van der MoodHoover

The onfield umpires were not satisfied. Had they been, no referral would have been necessary.

This is what I wrote in a previous post regarding why I think looking at it in slow motion was an error:

In real time, you see an object coming towards you, you make evasive action. You swerve out of the way if you have enough time to think about it and have full control of your body. If you don't you try to protect yourself, perhaps with your hands. If you are doing so and move your hand towards the object, you block it regardless of whether it's going to hit your body or not.

The umpires were satisfied though. The onfield umpires made the decision to go upstairs and that resulted in the decision. 

Again, he may well have been trying to fend off the ball, by stretching his arm quite a way from his body, who knows. The point is however that he was still given out as the umpires (note, that is a collective term) were satisfied. If you have a problem with how it was handled, tell the MCC about it, and some change might come from it. 

The only thing wrong with you bringing bodyline into the argument is that when Jardine introduced it , it was within the laws of the game.

Also bodyline had very little effect on the result of the series and there was only one serious injury resulting from it.

Brian Close took far more punishment from Michael Holding and never moaned at all , Aussie pussies .

Are you saying this wasn't within the Laws of Cricket? 

To my knowledge the bodyline debate was a bit more complex than that, but of course, it was well and truly before my time, and I'd be extremely surprised if anybody who posts on this forum actually saw it live, and were old enough at the time to appreciate the series for what it was. I guess the key to take out of it though was that it created a discussion that ultimately led to changes to the Laws of Cricket. If England are truly so aggrieved by this decision, and not simply deflecting blame away from Stokes after another bizarre brainsnap, then I'd expect to see some change come from this. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The umpires were satisfied though. The onfield umpires made the decision to go upstairs and that resulted in the decision. 

Again, he may well have been trying to fend off the ball, by stretching his arm quite a way from his body, who knows. The point is however that he was still given out as the umpires (note, that is a collective term) were satisfied. If you have a problem with how it was handled, tell the MCC about it, and some change might come from it. 

Are you saying this wasn't within the Laws of Cricket? 

To my knowledge the bodyline debate was a bit more complex than that, but of course, it was well and truly before my time, and I'd be extremely surprised if anybody who posts on this forum actually saw it live, and were old enough at the time to appreciate the series for what it was. I guess the key to take out of it though was that it created a discussion that ultimately led to changes to the Laws of Cricket. If England are truly so aggrieved by this decision, and not simply deflecting blame away from Stokes after another bizarre brainsnap, then I'd expect to see some change come from this. 

Bodyline was introduced to counteract the greatest batsman ever to draw breath, and it had very little effect on him.

I was at Trent Bridge in 1948 when Bradman scored a century, but remember nothing about it, I was only five:)

Bye the bye Stokes has said categorically that he did not do it intentionally, but of coarse he would ,wouldn't he.  

Archived