England vs Australia 2015 ODI Series

Van der MoodHoover

Thought I'd start a thread on this as distinct from The Ashes.

Being a dreadful homer, I managed to lumber down to the Ageas Bowl yesterday for the ODI to see our gallant lads captained by the English Dubliner return to depressingly familiar form.

In an innings that seemed eerily familiar to Rams fans, a bright start and a position of real promise turned gradually sour as England failed to kick on, and as pressure built the side showed they had no bottle whatsoever by collapsing in a heap.

Woakes is the new Keogh - put down a routine c&b and got a golden duck. Booooooooooo............

Anyhow - my prediction for the 5 match series 4-1 to Aus.

Anecdotes/experiences/predictions invited.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taylor was not aggressive enough IMHO.

Keeping the run rate down is more important than wickets , we had them , and let Wade take it away from us.

Personally I would have played the side that played against the Kiwi's, the 400 side.

Don't get why Root is not playing, unless its his back, don't want to think its the too much cricket/needs a rest reason, other players play just as much, some a lot more.

If I am honest, I would have been very disappointed if I was Australian and Stokes didn't get given out. I know all the pundits have defended him, but if you watch his eyes he keeps them firmly on the ball, right to the moment he has stopped it, then he turns to try to get back in his ground. If you were purely trying to get out of the way, why would you increase your surface area by extending an arm away from you?

I'm afraid it's a case of us doing everything to defend our own, in spite of the facts.

I think the Stokes incident is deflecting attention away from the fact that we seem to have gone backwards from the thrilling stuff we played against NZ.

We're back to achieving 4-5 per over in an innings whereas Aus have seemingly little trouble in accelerating at will. Their bowlers have more pace but even so we don't appear to be at the races.

Can see a 5-0.

If I am honest, I would have been very disappointed if I was Australian and Stokes didn't get given out. I know all the pundits have defended him, but if you watch his eyes he keeps them firmly on the ball, right to the moment he has stopped it, then he turns to try to get back in his ground. If you were purely trying to get out of the way, why would you increase your surface area by extending an arm away from you?

I'm afraid it's a case of us doing everything to defend our own, in spite of the facts.

Watch it at normal speed, not slow motion.

The pundits, Australian and English alike, are all former professional cricketers. 

In slow motion perhaps. In real time, you see an object coming towards you, you make evasive action. You swerve out of the way if you have enough time to think about it and have full control of your body. If you don't you try to protect yourself, perhaps with your hands. If you are doing so and move your hand towards the object, you block it regardless of whether it's going to hit your body or not.

The third umpire should not have watched it in slow motion. It gives a false impression of the batsman's intentions.

Archived