Athletics World Championships Bejing

Ovis aries

Personally, I think a four year ban for a first offence is acceptable, but there's always going to be a cloud over an athlete once caught, especially if they go on to be successful when they're 'clean'. Are they really? Or are they now just better at not getting caught?

For repeat offences though, life ban. Once, we all make mistakes and have errors in judgement, but a persistent track record of trying to cheat, no thanks.

I feel sorry for Bolt to a certain degree. He's dominated for so long, and so emphatically that in a sport where this kind of thing happens there will always be questions about his own performances. Guess he knows how Chris Froome feels. Cheats enhancing their own performance doesn't necessarily make them better than everyone else, it just enhances their own performance. A 'clean' athlete could still be better, which hopefully is the case with Bolt. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Greg Rutherford - World gold added to his Olympic, European and Commonwealth titles.

Only four other Britons have held all four titles at the same time.

Read an article about Rutherford. Apparently he hasn't has any funding since 2012, and his coach, who was told to stay in Japan, only arrived at the meeting the night before the long jump heats.

He recons there's a 'class system' in British Athletics, and he's going to spill the beans in the next few months. Could be interesting.

He's often got things to say. Sometimes I wonder if he's just overly opinionated, but then he's never really seemed to get the recognition he probably deserves - far less exposure than either Jess or Mo, so perhaps there's a little bitterness there, and then as you say, there's the funding issue. He doesn't seem to have the greatest relationship with the British Athletics set up. 

A shame really, he comes across as a standup fella.

Rutherford seems a bit chippy - mention was made that "some" (who?) thought his 2012 olympic win was a fluke, which would explain it and more.

Sports POTY in December for me. Hell of an achievement. Liked the way that having blown away all opposition in the competition environment he is now starting to talk about jumping really, really big!

Archived