Athletics World Championships Bejing

Ovis aries

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that people should be punished for life when they make bad choices in a small portion of it. People like Gatlin who're repeat offenders maybe they can stretch it out further?

4 years is a good amount of time, where they can still train and have that time frame proving they now train clean. Also, not sure on this but there's an argument that muscle memory benefits from ex performance enhancing drug use. So maybe 4 years is a good length of time for muscle memory to lose that? Could be wrong though.

Not sure that people should be punished for life when they make bad choices in a small portion of it. People like Gatlin who're repeat offenders maybe they can stretch it out further?

4 years is a good amount of time, where they can still train and have that time frame proving they now train clean. Also, not sure on this but there's an argument that muscle memory benefits from ex performance enhancing drug use. So maybe 4 years is a good length of time for muscle memory to lose that? Could be wrong though.

It should be life for getting caught a second time. It has to be iradicated. If he had to cheat to run sub 9.8 several years ago, there is still some positive after effect on him to run 9.77 now. 

It should be life for getting caught a second time. It has to be iradicated. If he had to cheat to run sub 9.8 several years ago, there is still some positive after effect on him to run 9.77 now. 

I agree, for repeat offenders you've had one chance and if you're stupid enough to do it again you're out. There's never room for cheaters in any game, walk of life etc...

But I can't agree on banning life for first time offence. Unless there's a full documented history that comes out like with Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones. Everything they did was with military precision.

Then there's people like Yohan Blake, who've either knowingly or not taken a drug that is not banned but is remarkably similar to another known and banned substance. But for a really short period of their lifetime.

Taking the discussion further, which probably warrants a thread of it's own, remember M-Kat or meow meow??, whatever it was called. It's still knocking about but under different names. Basically, whenever that particular drug is outlawed, the chemical components are altered slightly and then you have a drug that's not illegal and basically has the same effect.

Why?

Because all the others are. Blake, Powell, Gatlin, Gay have all been done for it in the past. It doesn't add up that he can blow away all these guys who have a serious advantage when he is "clean". Furthermore by now he should be way past his prime.

Because all the others are. Blake, Powell, Gatlin, Gay have all been done for it in the past. It doesn't add up that he can blow away all these guys who have a serious advantage when he is "clean". Furthermore by now he should be way past his prime.

Powell and Blake were not taking drugs to the same degree as Gatlin and Gay. Powell had a contaminated legal supplement and Blake took something that was legal but was judged to be similar to illegal stimulants.

Bolt is very tall. As a Harry Carpenter used to say, a good big 'un will beat a good little 'un.

Powell and Blake were not taking drugs to the same degree as Gatlin and Gay. Powell had a contaminated legal supplement and Blake took something that was legal but was judged to be similar to illegal stimulants.

Bolt is very tall. As a Harry Carpenter used to say, a good big 'un will beat a good little 'un.

That's true, I'm just sceptical that Bolt has played entirely by the rules. I wouldn't blame him to be honest, if everybody else was taking steroids, I'd risk being caught for the money/fame.

Just watched an interview with Seb Coe the new head of the IAAF wherein he says he wants the drugs ban to go back to four years instead of two, what I would as is why is it not a life ban ?.

Because that is just ridiculously excessive. People get carried away with doping bans. 2 years isn't enough though. The reality is that in the coming decades we are going to have to embrace ''enhanced'' sports. The lines are going to become so blurred as to what should and should not be allowed in relation to ''enhancement'' it's going to get too silly to manage. To the point where the elite athlete that is totally clean of any doping, genetic engineering and manipulation is a a sloth in comparison to average Joe public. 

Because that is just ridiculously excessive. People get carried away with doping bans. 2 years isn't enough though. The reality is that in the coming decades we are going to have to embrace ''enhanced'' sports. The lines are going to become so blurred as to what should and should not be allowed in relation to ''enhancement'' it's going to get too silly to manage. To the point where the elite athlete that is totally clean of any doping, genetic engineering and manipulation is a a sloth in comparison to average Joe public. 

No woman has gotten anywhere near Paula Radcliffe's marathon record she must have been on drugs then hey ?.

They know what the performance enhancing drugs are and anyone using them should be banned for life IMHO.

If one of these drugs is contained in some "Flu remedy", the athletes and their trainers know all about them, its no excuse.

You either let people use them or you don't, for me there is no middle ground.

No woman has gotten anywhere near Paula Radcliffe's marathon record she must have been on drugs then hey ?.

They know what the performance enhancing drugs are and anyone using them should be banned for life IMHO.

If one of these drugs is contained in some "Flu remedy", the athletes and their trainers know all about them, its no excuse.

You either let people use them or you don't, for me there is no middle ground.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. Plus it's also far more complex than they know what the performance enhancing drugs are. The whole point of it is to not get caught. Because of the very nature of it all, the 'cheats' are always one step ahead. They know what some of the drugs are. They know how to detect some of the drugs. They only have the time to do tests every so often and they have the resources to only do it every so often. It's going to get even more complex. Take the 100m final. 50% of the runners in the men's 100m final had been banned at one point for doping. This whole thing is far greater than people can imagine. There simply isn't the resources to change the culture. By the time any change might begin to take affect, we will have huge scientific and medical advancements at our disposal. The Human Genome project is already having a huge impact on sports. 

Archived