I don't think the fans will agree with you Robbie

David

Staying up will represent a good season for Derby.. but don't blame Nigel Clough.

My Derby County team have lost four straight and we have to accept that staying up in the Championship will represent a good season for us.

So do the moaners and groaners who are calling into phone-in shows and writing on message boards, criticising us and our brilliant boss Nigel Clough.

The gaffer's accepted a hell of a challenge here. He's having to knock the old house done and build a new one from the foundations up. He's had to slash the wage bill by millions, turn the tide after two or three years of struggles and somehow produce a team which will take us back to the Premier League. He will do it, but it's going to take, in my opinion, two or three years.

How can I be so sure? Because despite these recent setbacks, we've got a magnificent team spirit. Because everybody at the club's loves the gaffer's training, which is the best I've ever experienced at any club. Because as a team we're as fit as we've ever been and ran a combined 124km against Barnsley the other day - the most I've ever seen. And because the manager tells us the truth. If we're rubbish, he tells us - and he did when we were poor against Ssausagehorpe.

But after we lost to the only goal at Palace on Saturday he simply sat us down and said, "It will turn for you."

And it will - for us and for him.

[url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/robbie-savage/Staying-up-will-represent-a-good-season-for-Derby-but-don-t-blame-Nigel-Clough-article170419.html]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/co...icle170419.html

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not looking for promotion nor the play offs but I expect more than just staying in this league for the second league running. 2-3 season to get in the Prem? thats fine but we need to be mid table come May not licking our wounds after another relegation fight.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of fans expected something special this season,and it never was going to happen.Although itis worse than I expected.

BUT we must give Clough time,time to get rid of the deadwood and get his own team going.Time to turn this blip round.Time to get some cash out of the board (tongue firmly in cheek).

It hasnt been good so far,Barnsley was bloody terrible,and they deserved all the flak they got but lets hope we win tomorrow,might just kickstart us.

Sav is right = Nigel said it would take 3 seasons to get the team anywhere near how he wants it, we havn't had a team spirit for a long time and when we are loosing its nice to see the heads don't drop like they used to, it will be slow and painfull but i think we will end up on the right track - bit of snow on the line but we will get there eventually - i'm with Dan - if we finish higher than last season i will be happy with that.

Had Commons of said this would you be brown nosing him and agreeing that a relegation battle again would be classed as a good season?. I just can't accept thats a good season, this squad should be capable of a mid table finish and thats what I'l be expecting.

progress is progress... and finishing higher than the previous season is always good... even if only one or two places...

But savage is talking like survival would be progress and correct me if im wrong but you stayed out the relegation zone last season... so wheres the progress??

also he sounds like survival this year would be an awesome achievement - like he's resined himself to probable relegation... but its ok cause the team are having fun...

is that really what you want from your captain?? yay they are having fun... but its not them that are paying to be there... are you as the fans having fun? because thats their job!

all sounds very negative to me, and like pre-emptive excuses - hope not though... cause im sure as heck hoping we stay up, and it's no fun if we can't play against you

I think they have fell from cloud 9 to cloud 2, at the start of the season Savage led the players to agreeing to give up there end of season bonus if they dont finish in the top 6 or 10 was it? now we are meant to be classing survival as a "good season", I'd class it as a ***** season even if we finish 1 place higher than last season. Progress would be to finish mid-table.

honestly, what do you think is more likely, mid table and progression, or strugging, and maybe relegation??

I'll be honest... the team COULD show progression and finish mid table (lower mid, but still mid) - but if Lilly's words are anything to go by, and as the captain he should be geeing the team up, then i think they have almost given up already, and are aiming at survival... which is a dangerous aim, because as last season showed there arent many points between bottom of the league and safety... and it wouldn't take much to slip up...

If they change their attitude from the one shown in Savages statement they could do ok... but if they don't... they may well slip up

He is clearly the wrong guy to have as captain, surely you have someone that is better at positive mental attitude?

I think he is the ideal man for captain at the moment although I would like to hear a little more positivity from him than this article he has written. To me it comes across as he's already resigned to the fact we will struggle this season and as Clough kick started his career he's licking his arse in return by saying we shouldn't blame Cloughie.

It's too early to be pointing the blame, come May if we have just survived a relegation fight it will be time to look at what the weakest link is, the board, players or manager.

Personally I would be looking at Barker to take the captains armband for the long term in the near future once he has settled into the team more.

Archived