upcoming gigs

rezner

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

You don't understand it because you don't like it!

Or maybe we don't like it because we don't understand it? It really isn't my cup of tea, but despite the "joke" at the end of my comment about it being poo I do believe that about good or bad music. Everyone has their tastes. Personally I want to do damage to something when I hear classic, Cleo Lane style, jazz. Absolutely hate it! It makes me really nervous. I can however understand that, if not why, others like it. Hope you enjoy the concert.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Or maybe we don't like it because we don't understand it?

That was the joke. In the Young Ones, Rik is arguing with a pensioner and says, the only reason you don't understand our music is because you don't like it. Amused me, anyway. 

I can understand someone not enjoying stuff like King Crimson, but you certainly can't say it's not good music. Robert Fripp's output over the years has been incredibly varied, and usually pretty groundbreaking and challenging. Take his work with Bowie, for example. You'd have to be pretty disinterested in music generally not to appreciate something about his playing. 

I can find something to enjoy in most forms, from early choral music to extreme metal. The only thing I don't like is bland commerciality, and I've never been able to get into rap or hip hop. 

I don't really know what you'd classify the music I'm thinking of really, but that softly sang slow urban poo that's seemingly trying to be as characterless and inoffensive as possible.

Zero personality, zero attitude, meaningless, bland lyrics with no passion in the delivery of the music or vocals. Nothing to grab hold of, nothing to stay in your memory more than a second after the song finishes. Could almost just be an advanced AI bot behind it.

I've decided to refer to it as smooth R&B, and I think we can all agree that it's absolute honkey.

15 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Just bought tickets for Massive Attack in Manchester in January. They're doing Mezzanine, which is one of my favourite albums ever. 

Saw them this summer. People either love or are rather unimpressed by their lives-hows, there doesn't seem to be lots of opinions between those two.

Archived