RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper

paulderby316

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think theres many big named stars left from the 80's scene other than Hogan and Flair..?

Andre, Warrior, Piper, Rhodes, Doink, Savage, Earthquake, Bossman, Mr Perfect, Elizabeth, Bulldog, Yokozuna, Rick Rude, Giant Haystacks, Junkyard Dog, Pilman, John Studd... .

I don't think theres many big named stars left from the 80's scene other than Hogan and Flair..?

Andre, Warrior, Piper, Rhodes, Doink, Savage, Earthquake, Bossman, Mr Perfect, Elizabeth, Bulldog, Yokozuna, Rick Rude, Giant Haystacks, Junkyard Dog, Pilman, John Studd... .

Dare I say that decades of substance and steroid abuse had something to do with it?

who?

He was a cannuck who pretended to be scottish so he could wear a skirt. His career highlights include calling Jimmy Snuka (Fijian) a monkey and shoving a banana in his face, and kicking Cyndi Lauper in the head.

He was a fantastic heel. I miss old WWF.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan was a favourite of mine from that era, he used to take a lump of 4 x 4 in the ring with him and usually let somebody have it ( it was probably balsa wood ) but he was a good laugh, Honky Tonk's party piece was breaking an acoustic guitar over some unfortunate, if you didn't take it seriously it was ok entertainment.

RIP to Mr Piper anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrestling is complete tosh television, but the characters they create intrigue me and the athleticism is impressive. They don't try to pass it off as real any more than any film or TV show does. In this day and age they sometimes reference the scripted nature of the show in clever ways to create interesting stories.

Most of it gets fast forwarded these days for me though. It is cringeworthy. But it's like a guilty pleasure show for me. It's not as "baby oil and steroids" as it used to be.

They have a championship and a belt for the current holder, declared as a champion as if it was a genuine fight. A film star can get an Oscar for his/her performance in a film, it's announced as their real name, not a stupid stage name.

They are trying to pass it off as a real event.

Rocky Balboa had a championship and a belt, and was declared as a champion as if it was a genuine fight. As for the real name, not heard of Dwayne Johnson? His acting as "The Rock" was his breakthrough role.

Wrestlers were always like comic book heroes to me. Mind you, when I was a kid they looked like comic book heroes with gaudy costumes and ridiculous back stories. I remember seeing it a couple of years later where the big hero was Steve Austin who's gimmick was the ability to drink a can of beer (very impressive), and the Undertaker had gone from being undead to some hick on a Harley Davidson.

I never once thought wrestling was real and I'd be genuinely concerned for anyone, even kids, who were daft enough to think that it was.

It's pre-determined and scripted but Pro Wrestling is like an art form, the performers improvise most of the match apart from the endings and some of the moves they do are difficult to perform hence why they train.

Like Tombo said, Pro Wrestling is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

Archived