Tesco removing Ribena, Capri Sun and Rubicon from shelves

Day

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you see those 3 drinks advertised to kids? end of the day it's the parents that buy it and coke is the most popular drink given to kids. Christmas they go for it with that truck and santa advert.

Where do you see those 3 drinks advertised to kids? end of the day it's the parents that buy it and coke is the most popular drink given to kids. Christmas they go for it with that truck and santa advert.

I may be going back a bit but there used to be the Ribena berries marketing campaign & I think the Coke Christmas advert is a nostalgia trip more than anything else. Wasn't it Coke that first made Santa dress in red & white?. I may have dreamt that but think it's the case.

It is shocking how much sugar is in drinks, though. I've never drunk cordials and fruit juices and it's only because of my little girl that I've taken notice nowadays. She isn't allowed anything sugary and only allowed a fruit smoothie drink every now & then. Luckily she enjoys eating fruit & drinking water, so is not a problem for us.

Getting her to properly brush her teeth, however, is a different thing altogether!.

They're just playing the "we'll be nice & helpful to you and your health if you shop here" card to try and win back market share from all the parents who've left to shop at Didldidi in the last few years.

It's quite obvious that Tesco are doing this for A free marketing and B to sell more own brand products, etc, because their business model needs to change. The thing is, if Tesco simply came out and said this and dropped other brands they would find far more success in doing so than this moral high ground crap that people see right through. 

My parents used to take me to the pub and I always had a glass of "Council Pop" and a packet of crisps. Not sure what was in the drink, perhaps I should check with Severn Trent now, but it never did me any harm (I think).

If Tesco are genuinely doing something for the good of the population, I'll do 100 kick ups with my 20 foot shlong. 

Evil company. 

There not inherently evil, just too big.

Corporations don't deliberately hurt people, they become too big to see the things they crush underfoot.

There not inherently evil, just too big.

Corporations don't deliberately hurt people, they become too big to see the things they crush underfoot.

Or they deliberately hurt people. 

No one ever asks what happens when the man from Del Monte says no. 

Interesting thing about Rubacon. They have a flavour called Guanabana. Looks like semen but actually tastes pretty decent. 

Used to be able to buy it everywhere until there was quite a high profile news feature about the amazing health benefits of the guanabana fruit. How it basically protected against everything from cancer to arthritis. Suddenly you couldn't find it anywhere. I think I found it once in ASDA, otherwise you have to buy online from Rubacon. 

My mate Jono wrote to them asking what the deal was. They replied saying that since the article, the orders simply stopped. None of the supermarkets wanted that paticular flavour anymore. 

Always thought that was odd. 

Sith Happens

Im sure there are many more products that could go too if they really are doing to for the health of the children....

Jumping on the bandwagon, seems everytime i look at the news, someone is harping on about sugar in this that or the other...

Why on earth do we have to read how many calories are in a mcdonalds/kfc etc...im in KFC i know its not going to be the healthiest food choice i am making...but thats exactly what it is a CHOICE....

When did the human race suddenly stop being responsible for their own choices or actions? does my head in...kids arent fat because they had a ribena....reckon the 8 hours in front of the xbox or watching frozen for the 15th time today might have something to do with it.

Interesting thing about Rubacon. They have a flavour called Guanabana. Looks like semen but actually tastes pretty decent. 

Used to be able to buy it everywhere until there was quite a high profile news feature about the amazing health benefits of the guanabana fruit. How it basically protected against everything from cancer to arthritis. Suddenly you couldn't find it anywhere. I think I found it once in ASDA, otherwise you have to buy online from Rubacon. 

My mate Jono wrote to them asking what the deal was. They replied saying that since the article, the orders simply stopped. None of the supermarkets wanted that paticular flavour anymore. 

Always thought that was odd. 

I do find this interesting. Was the article about guanabana's health benefits peer reviewed and backed by proper scientific research, ideally of the effects on humans?

I can't understand why a supermarket would pull a product that they could reasonably expect to become a big seller. Have I missed your point or are you suggesting it's because they don't want people to be healthy?

Archived