Michail Antonio the best player in the Championship

Day

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked quite useful when Assombalonga was sticking it in the back of the net?

Are you choosing to ignore his 14 goals and other 11 assists or are you judging him on just one game where he has our full backs pants down?

While in acres of space and defenders going everywhere, he turned with it, and slipped in Assombalonga. Neat, but nothing more than you would expect from an average footballer. 

I'm judging him on the 7 or 8 times that I've seen him play in the last few years. He did have Shotton's pants down, but he also didn't have a good game. That's a pretty impressive combination. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that he had scored his 10th goal of the season by mid November. Quite an alarming drop off there. We'll see if he can reproduce those stats this year.

He is far from being the most technically gifted player in The Championship and his defensive qualities are few and far between, however, 14 goals and 12 assists at this level cannot be overlooked. Would people really rather have Ward or Russell in the team ahead of someone with a return like that? Madness.

Yes, in the same way I'd take Martin over Darren Bent or previously two-goal Shefti Kuqi over his better goal scoring replacement Liam Moore.

Antonio may contribute to goals, but he does very little up until that and would be lost in a possession-based team. He's the sort of player you'd build a Worst Premier League XI around.

Yes, in the same way I'd take Martin over Darren Bent or previously two-goal Shefti Kuqi over his better goal scoring replacement Liam Moore.

Antonio may have an end product, but he does very little up until that and would be lost in a possession-based team. He's the sort of player you'd build a Worst Premier League XI around.

Is Ward not exactly the same?

Surely most teams would be mad not to look to accommodate one luxury player who can contribute to that many goals in a season?

Is Ward not exactly the same?

Surely most teams would be mad not to look to accommodate one luxury player who can contribute to that many goals in a season?

Don't get me wrong I hold Ward in similar regard.

I'm just the sort of guy who always looks at the collective. I'd prefer a team with 11 solid players who fit perfectly into a system than a few 'star players' who only excel at doing one thing.

I can see that Antonio has a bigger goal threat than most Championship wingers. I just don't particularly rate him in other important aspects of a team game which gets overlooked.

When judging a player, most fans just look to the goals/assists stats to justify how good he is. I think that's wrong.

Afterall, Rooney only scored 12 goals last season, By the same logic, many would then presume that Charlie Austin is a better forward when he's clearly not.

So to your question, no I don't think I would be mad if I refuse to accomodate one luxury player. All it takes is one player to not help out with the collective game and all it falls apart. 

Looked quite useful when Assombalonga was sticking it in the back of the net?

Are you choosing to ignore his 14 goals and other 11 assists or are you judging him on just one game where he has our full backs pants down?

Couldnt agree more.... dont like him for the team he represents but he is some player

I would be interested to see how many of Antonio's goals and assists were in the 1st half of the season, as from my reckoning a lot of teams doubled up on him in the 2nd half which made him ineffective.

In all honesty he had a successful season, but I think forest are pretty mental to reject 4-5m for him based off 1 season (don't forget, Wednesday fans were pretty happy to receive 1.5m for an average player). I don't see Antonio having anywhere near as much impact this season due to the teams doubling up and the fact there is no Assombolonga, meaning his value is going to drop significantly.....

Antonio may contribute to goals, but he does very little up until that and would be lost in a possession-based team. He's the sort of player you'd build a Worst Premier League XI around.

Luke Moore you mean!?! :lol:

He's not a great player, the forest team was built around him and he played upfront from the Britt injury onwards. The only reason they won't sell him is because they cannot replace him due to the embargo and if he leaves they're losing half of their one dimensional goal threat. 

Couldnt agree more.... dont like him for the team he represents but he is some player

Don't get me wrong, I dont actually think he is that good a player. But to state he is rubbish and would only get on our bench when he played a part in 26 goals last season seems absurd when we have so many that praise Ward and Russell who contributed half of that

Definitely, very similar style of player ;)

Nothing to do with the player, it was merely a four-lettered first name beginning with L that I mistakenly wrote.

Another example is I initially wrote Jason Pearce when doing a DCFC piece on HITC, wasn't until a re-read it it before publishing that I noticed the obvious mistake.

Archived