Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SaintRam

Gaming

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

Does anyone play Fortnite? I don't but one of my kids has decided it's better than real life. I was trying to find a fortnite based Christmas gift stocking filler  that he can use in the game - like can I buy him a nuclear weapon or something? Or a tank? I've seen some kind of bundle things you can buy that include skins and weapons I think - but I want to buy him summat cool. Is this a stupid question? I'm really old.

I’ll ask one of the lads when they stop gaming for a minute 😫

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

Does anyone play Fortnite? I don't but one of my kids has decided it's better than real life. I was trying to find a fortnite based Christmas gift stocking filler  that he can use in the game - like can I buy him a nuclear weapon or something? Or a tank? I've seen some kind of bundle things you can buy that include skins and weapons I think - but I want to buy him summat cool. Is this a stupid question? I'm really old.

The only things you can buy ingame are cosmetics, different looks for your character, axe, backpack, weapons etc.  If you want to buy him them you need to buy them from the ingame store.  They don't make you play any better but are cool to look at - the problem is new ones are released all the time and whats new and cool today is old and boring tomorrow.

I got my lad a couple of Fortnite figurines for his desk, lookup fortnite characters on Amazon or wherever.  My lad likes the Funko's so I got him a couple of those.  And a llama, every fortnite player needs a llama!

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone's gaming increased lately? 

I've been on the PS4 everyday which is unusual for me. 

Picked up The Witcher 3 cheap. Was a fan of the franchise but never had the time to sink into it. A couple of hours in and it's good but I'm yet to get the hype. 

Red Dead Redemption 2. Come to the conclusion it's not that good. I thought it was great when I played it on release but after sinking some hours in I've fell out with it a bit. It's beautiful but it's a horse riding simulator with pretty ordinary shooting. Everything Days Gone got criticised for is present in RDRII. Yet RDRII got critical acclaim. I don't even think the story is really engaging. Good game but it's not as iconic as I thought after getting stuck into it at last. 

Tempted to go nostalgic with Final Fantasy VII Remake. Not played those games since FFX

Not long til The Last Of Us 2, Cyberpunk and a Mafia 1 remake. 

 

Edited by Alpha

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Anyone's gaming increased lately? 

I've been on the PS4 everyday which is unusual for me. 

Picked up The Witcher 3 cheap. Was a fan of the franchise but never had the time to sink into it. A couple of hours in and it's good but I'm yet to get the hype. 

Red Dead Redemption 2. Come to the conclusion it's not that good. I thought it was great when I played it on release but after sinking some hours in I've fell out with it a bit. It's beautiful but it's a horse riding simulator with pretty ordinary shooting. Everything Days Gone got criticised for is present in RDRII. Yet RDRII got critical acclaim. I don't even think the story is really engaging. Good game but it's not as iconic as I thought after getting stuck into it at last. 

Tempted to go nostalgic with Final Fantasy VII Remake. Not played those games since FFX

Not long til The Last Of Us 2, Cyberpunk and a Mafia 1 remake. 

 

Yep. After watching assassins creed valhalla trailer I decided to catch up on the series and brought Unity, Syndicate, Origins & Odyssey off eBay. Haven't played them since Rouge in 2014. And despite Unity being considered the worse in the series I'm enjoying it & wondering why it's took me so long to play them! Without a doubt it's my favourite gaming series. Great history lesson too! 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Anyone's gaming increased lately? 

I've been on the PS4 everyday which is unusual for me. 

Picked up The Witcher 3 cheap. Was a fan of the franchise but never had the time to sink into it. A couple of hours in and it's good but I'm yet to get the hype. 

Red Dead Redemption 2. Come to the conclusion it's not that good. I thought it was great when I played it on release but after sinking some hours in I've fell out with it a bit. It's beautiful but it's a horse riding simulator with pretty ordinary shooting. Everything Days Gone got criticised for is present in RDRII. Yet RDRII got critical acclaim. I don't even think the story is really engaging. Good game but it's not as iconic as I thought after getting stuck into it at last. 

Tempted to go nostalgic with Final Fantasy VII Remake. Not played those games since FFX

Not long til The Last Of Us 2, Cyberpunk and a Mafia 1 remake. 

 

I feel the same about the Witcher. I've tried all three games because fantasy rpg is right up my street, but I couldn't get in to any of them. Personally I just can't get on board with having to play as Geralt. I get that in some sense these type of games are a power fantasy, but Geralt is the archetypal "Mary Sue". Not a single character flaw, brooding and mysterious, chick magnet, insanely overpowered, tragic past, morally superior to pretty much everyone else in the world. He makes me sick.

I loved RDR2, but it was somewhat over-hyped. I'm a sucker for the western setting though and RDR2 is a huge sandbox with good world building and tonnes of interesting things to discover. I still haven't completed the main story, but I still load it up from time to time just to go hunting.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Van De Squid said:

Yep. After watching assassins creed valhalla trailer I decided to catch up on the series and brought Unity, Syndicate, Origins & Odyssey off eBay. Haven't played them since Rouge in 2014. And despite Unity being considered the worse in the series I'm enjoying it & wondering why it's took me so long to play them! Without a doubt it's my favourite gaming series. Great history lesson too! 

I always have a little debate whenever an Ubisoft game comes out. They're like WatchDogs and Ghost Recon. They do some stuff better than everyone else but never learn from mistakes when making the next game and so every game has some horrible feature. I see the latest ones have strayed pretty far from the formula?

Share this post


Link to post

I picked up NBA 2k20 on the PS store for £4. Without knowing anything about basketball (literally I had to google the positions) I am enjoying it. The career mode is very slick and feels rewarding when you do something good.

Everything fifa should be but isn’t really. Maybe if I knew more about basketball I’d spot flaws in it

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Anon said:

I feel the same about the Witcher. I've tried all three games because fantasy rpg is right up my street, but I couldn't get in to any of them. Personally I just can't get on board with having to play as Geralt. I get that in some sense these type of games are a power fantasy, but Geralt is the archetypal "Mary Sue". Not a single character flaw, brooding and mysterious, chick magnet, insanely overpowered, tragic past, morally superior to pretty much everyone else in the world. He makes me sick.

I loved RDR2, but it was somewhat over-hyped. I'm a sucker for the western setting though and RDR2 is a huge sandbox with good world building and tonnes of interesting things to discover. I still haven't completed the main story, but I still load it up from time to time just to go hunting.

I think the problem with Geralt is he's overstretched. Book, comic, game, tv show... he's been so busy slotting into different stories that he's a character to suit every situation. 

I had hoped after The Witcher 2 that they would start the story of a fresh new Witcher seeing as Geralt should be worshipped as a God by the entire continent who must all know him by now. 

See I think my problem with RDRII might be the setting. I like medieval and I like post apocalyptic. I'm intrigued by cyberpunk and steampunk settings. But the Wild West? It's not a time or place I've ever obsessed over. 

My biggest complaint is the missions and story. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful etc. Every animation is spot on. The customisation is great. But I have struggled to keep playing it because I know every mission with be a shooting alley and I find the story so thin that it borders on a simulation game. 

Not that it's a bad game at all. It's definitely up there. Just don't think it gives you a reason to get to the end unlike say The Last Of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect etc. A lot of games where the story is constantly driving you. 

I did have the ending ruined for me though so maybe that don't help! I know what happens I just don't know how. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I picked up NBA 2k20 on the PS store for £4. Without knowing anything about basketball (literally I had to google the positions) I am enjoying it. The career mode is very slick and feels rewarding when you do something good.

Everything fifa should be but isn’t really. Maybe if I knew more about basketball I’d spot flaws in it

What an odd purchase if you don't like basketball! 

I did it years ago with Madden NFL or whatever it was called. Had loads of fun but don't watch any American sports. 

I think EA stay away from excluding casual gamers. A lot of their games get criticised by their target audience (football games by football fans for example) because they always have a pick up and play arcade feel to them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think the problem with Geralt is he's overstretched. Book, comic, game, tv show... he's been so busy slotting into different stories that he's a character to suit every situation. 

I had hoped after The Witcher 2 that they would start the story of a fresh new Witcher seeing as Geralt should be worshipped as a God by the entire continent who must all know him by now. 

See I think my problem with RDRII might be the setting. I like medieval and I like post apocalyptic. I'm intrigued by cyberpunk and steampunk settings. But the Wild West? It's not a time or place I've ever obsessed over. 

My biggest complaint is the missions and story. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful etc. Every animation is spot on. The customisation is great. But I have struggled to keep playing it because I know every mission with be a shooting alley and I find the story so thin that it borders on a simulation game. 

Not that it's a bad game at all. It's definitely up there. Just don't think it gives you a reason to get to the end unlike say The Last Of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect etc. A lot of games where the story is constantly driving you. 

I did have the ending ruined for me though so maybe that don't help! I know what happens I just don't know how. 

 

You're right about the missions. Rockstar has a real dependency on the shooting alley, but in their defence their forums are full of 14 year olds whinging that any missions that don't involve killing at least 50 people are boring. The story isn't great, although I really like all the interactions between the various characters in camp. The big problem is Micah Bell. He's possibly the most obvious villain I've ever seen and it's quite frustrating because if he'd been written with more subtlety I think it would've worked. If Micah were more charismatic and helpful around Dutch, but gradually showed glimpses of his true nature as you catch him behaving like a dick when he thinks no one important is around. The idea of a master manipulator massaging Dutch's massive ego works really well, but from the first moment he's introduced Micah looks, sounds, and behaves like a massive **** *** and consequently this makes Dutch look like the most stupid person alive rather than the revered leader and flawed revolutionary he was supposed to be.

Are you at all concerned regarding the leaked plot of The Last Of Us 2 Electric Boogaloo? If what I've heard is true the outrage will be spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What an odd purchase if you don't like basketball! 

I did it years ago with Madden NFL or whatever it was called. Had loads of fun but don't watch any American sports. 

I think EA stay away from excluding casual gamers. A lot of their games get criticised by their target audience (football games by football fans for example) because they always have a pick up and play arcade feel to them. 

 

I pretty much exclusively play Fifa and have reached the end of the cycle for this years Ultimate Team where my team is amazing but still do the same things as when it wasn’t, so wanted something new and spotted how cheap it was so thought I’d give it a go. Would never have paid full price but not much to lose at £4 and so far it is genuinely enjoyable

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think the problem with Geralt is he's overstretched. Book, comic, game, tv show... he's been so busy slotting into different stories that he's a character to suit every situation. 

I had hoped after The Witcher 2 that they would start the story of a fresh new Witcher seeing as Geralt should be worshipped as a God by the entire continent who must all know him by now. 

See I think my problem with RDRII might be the setting. I like medieval and I like post apocalyptic. I'm intrigued by cyberpunk and steampunk settings. But the Wild West? It's not a time or place I've ever obsessed over. 

My biggest complaint is the missions and story. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful etc. Every animation is spot on. The customisation is great. But I have struggled to keep playing it because I know every mission with be a shooting alley and I find the story so thin that it borders on a simulation game. 

Not that it's a bad game at all. It's definitely up there. Just don't think it gives you a reason to get to the end unlike say The Last Of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect etc. A lot of games where the story is constantly driving you. 

I did have the ending ruined for me though so maybe that don't help! I know what happens I just don't know how. 

 

Glad you brought up Horizon Zero Dawn. It's the best game I've bought for my PS4, £15 as well. Superb immersive game. My partner had to drag me out the house.

Share this post


Link to post

The biggest problem with RDR2 was the developers saying "Life as a cowboy was hard work, if we make even the simplest of things in the game a slog, it'll be more of an authentic and immersive experience",  and people eating that particular line of ******** en mass declaring it the best game they've ever played.

Nearly everything you do in the game is utterly pointless, but hey life is futile really isn't? YEAH! No, duck off.

You criticise it, you get "well you just didn't 'get' the experience" or "clearly it's not the type of game for you, you just want everything to be fast action and easy victories" or somsuch poo. No, I just know a badly engineered sinkhole when I see one.

Don't get me wrong, plenty will enjoy the experience but it is, was, and always will be a terrible game. I mean ducking hell, your main character dies and god knows how many years later you're playing as a replacement... who just so happens to have the exact same mannerisms, movement, skills (which actually have virtually no bearing on gameplay) and inventory as some bloke he had quite a vague relationship with years ago.

I didn't finish the epilogue and can't think of a single reason to go back to play it.

The original RDR was fantastic, RDR2 was not.

Edited by Coconut

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Anon said:

The big problem is Micah Bell. He's possibly the most obvious villain I've ever seen 

Are you at all concerned regarding the leaked plot of The Last Of Us 2 Electric Boogaloo? If what I've heard is true the outrage will be spectacular.

Agree about Micah. He wasn't seductive enough to believe Dutch would be taken in by him. You know, I didn't really like Arthur much either. His mid life crisis was a bit of a cliche and when you kill 20 people per mission it's hard to get on board with his identity crisis. 

I've managed to avoid TLOU2 spoilers. I quickly clicked well away from anything TLOU since reading spoilers are out there. Whatever the big deal is I hope it's not just done for shock factor and actually makes sense? It's plot related? The first one is my favourite game ever so they better no ruin it! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.