Dyche comments on Shackell transfer

Sam_DCFC_1994

I remember Clough taking a pop at Forest when they were splashing the cash. I can understand any managers frustration when promotion is the expectation from fans and the board impose tight financial restrictions. Dyche won't be the last manager to speak about this, expect more to come out over the season. 

Strange to be on the other side now.

The difference with that kind of frustration is that Clough had to steady the ship and couldn't spend the money. Burnley have parachute payments and could afford to pay what we have, however failure could have bigger financial impacts on them than it would with us. You'd expect Freedman to be frustrated about our spending now because he's in a situation where he can't strengthen his side. Dyche can strengthen his, they have money.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dyche said 'we can't compete with....' when he meant 'we won't compete with...' 

As proven by us, who are still within FFP guidelines, that you can spend money if you are smart enough and want to.

Burnley's owners are just ridiculously unambitious, naive and have no intention of throwing away their promotion payday profit. The laughable thing is that Burnley are fans lapping that crap up. 

If I was a Burnley fan, having seen us chance survival on signings like Marvin Sordell, I would be asking what the **** are we going to do about replacing Lowton, Ings and Shackell. Ings' replacement is Vossen... Really? Lowton is adequate for Trippier, I guess, but still a substantial mark down and I can only guess who are they going to replace Shackell with.

They, as a fan base, need to wise up to their board's plan of getting away with spending as little as possible and giving Dyche a few soundbites to say how unfair other clubs in the division are for spending money they are entitled to do.

Within FFP, yes but FFP allowed a loss of £8 million (I think) previously and for next season allows a loss of £13 million.  Clubs need to fund that loss, if you've got an owner with deep pockets (Derby) to cover that loss that's no problem, if you don't (Burnley) then losses can only be covered with player sales.

You've been operating within FFP but have been posting a loss of circa £7 million a year which your owners have covered.  We couldn't operate with £7 million losses because the loss would be posted after parachute payments - our owners could probably cover £1 million, maybe 2 at a real stretch, on a one off basis but not year on year.

Essentially within FFP you have an extra £13 million (this year, £15 million+ next year if you don't get promotion) to spend on top of your matchday, commercial, sponsorship income that we don't and as you've pointed out Burnley have smaller income from those streams than you do.

RE: Vossen - Ings, Lowton - Trippier, ? - Shackell etc.

I think they're good additions, we don't know what fee we'll get for Ings so have to be careful there.  We want £8-10 million, they offered £6 million, the tribunal could turn around and say £1 million for all we know.  Vossen was deployed deeper and wider behind Bamford at Boro than he'll be deployed for us.  With us he'll have a target man supporting him (Vokes, Juke or Barnes) it could work it it could not but I'm hopeful.  We're also on the brink of signing Chris Long from Everton for a tribunal fee (We say £400k they say £1 million, or so the rumours say), he had a good stint at Brentford last year and is highly rated.  There's also murmurings of a permanent deal for Jerome Sinclair at Liverpool being lined up.  We're clearly looking at Vossen in the short term, though he'll have resale value if he does well, with Long and, potentially, Sinclair as the long term replacements.  

Sordell was a gamble that has failed and I think we'll be trying to move him on.  The "survival" signings were George Boyd, Michael Keane, Matthew Taylor and Lukas Jutkiewicz which were a mixed bag. We were dissapointed but weren't a million miles from surviving so hardly the disaster some seem to think.

Lowton for Trippier is about as perfect a replacement as we could manage at Championship level, we're very happy about that.  The rumoured replacement for Shackell is Nathan Baker at Villa for £2million, left footed, 24 y/o with 80+ Premiership appearances is again about as good as we could hope for.  Lansbury is our other target and likely to be the most costly unless we throw Juke in as a sweetener  All the signings we're making should see break even on transfer dealings which could then give us some spending power in January or next year.  All our signings also look to have resale value so if it all goes to pot we can at least make some sales to see us by should the parachute payments run out.

Dyche is just probably just feeling sore about the whole thing, Maybe he feels both his board and Shackell have personally let him down. Whilst Sam as refused to be put off as PC wanted Shackell. Whatever we will never really know, let him and the Burnley fans say what they want , Shackell is now a Ram again ,an expensive one admittedly, but if that takes us to the Prem then great decisions and persistence from DCFC.

Maybe someone has shagged Dyche's wife and he is angry to Shackell?

It was probably Boyd. He failed his eye medical not so long ago did he not? Would need to be blind to shag Dyches missus. Then again i haven't seen what she looks like. I can only presume she looks exactly like Sean, but with much longer hair.

It was probably Boyd. He failed his eye medical not so long ago did he not? Would need to be blind to shag Dyches missus. Then again i haven't seen what she looks like. I can only presume she looks exactly like Sean, but with much longer hair.

kinda like the van houtens on the simpsons 

Careful , some 12 year old daughters read this forum ..

• 2 weeks later...

Dyche interview on Sky Sports http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/9938906/burnley-boss-sean-dyche-shocked-by-championship-spending :

"The Championship, it seems to me, regardless of people’s financial situations, that just seems to not even be a hindrance to some of the owners.

It doesn’t even get thought about to me, they just go ‘right, we’re spending, we are paying this much to the player’, or whatever situation it is, so that makes it even more difficult.

It’s the old favourite – ‘Dyche blames so and so’ – I’m not blaming anyone. It is absolutely every club, every owner, every board’s right to do business as they see fit.

Some of the figures in the Championship are astronomical - I am absolutely amazed at some of the wage deals that people are now signing in the Championship – I’m stunned. (They are) way beyond what we were paying in the Premier League and we thought we were paying pretty well."

He was blathering on about it on 5Live the other day too, it seems to be all he's got to talk about! http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sean-dyche-boro-derby-thirsty-9796541#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Burnley boss Sean Dyche has hailed Steve Gibson as an “outstanding” chairman - but claims Boro and Derby’s spending this summer has made it more difficult for other Championship clubs to bolster their squads.

Only last month Dyche argued that the Clarets can’t compete with Boro and Derby in the transfer market, saying the two clubs have taken their spending to a “whole new level”.

The Burnley manager has praised Gibson for his continued backing on Teesside, but says the fact that Boro and Derby are “so thirsty” to win promotion has resulted in selling clubs hiking up their asking price for in-demand players.

“Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough is incredible,” said Dyche, speaking as a guest on 5live’s Football League preview show.

“His support for that club has been absolutely outstanding.

“Differently at Derby, with someone who was sitting in the background and is now in the foreground in Mel Morris.

“Very, very wealthy clubs from their backers, let alone what they generate.

“Ours is different. Our owners are very wealthy in my life but not wealthy to the point where they can throw tens of millions at the club every year.

“I think they have taken the spending to a new level, certainly Championship spending and the wages to boot and it does increase the challenge on clubs like our own.”

Since suffering relegation from the Premier League last season, Dyche has lost his club captain Jason Shackell to Derby, while Danny Ings and Kieran Trippier have moved to Liverpool and Spurs respectively.

He has added to his squad, most notably in the form of Jelle Vossen and Matt Lowton, but Dyche says he’s not alone in believing the transfer market is as difficult as he’s known it.

“It’s been a tough market, there’s no two ways about it,” he said.

“The two clubs we mentioned, they’re taking it higher all the time so you go in for a player and guess what, the club use them as a guide and say look what they’re spending so therefore the player that you want from us, we’re just adding another million or so, so it does push the whole level of the market higher.”

Dyche bemoaned the difficulty of signing players while Burnley were in the Premier League, saying the numbers go up “enormously” for top flight clubs.

He added: “Lo and behold, as we’ve come out of that market, a twist of fate means there are people who are so thirsty to get back in there, particularly the two clubs mentioned, they’ve started going, right, we’re going again and throwing even more money at it.

“The market is very, very tough at the minute and there’s a couple of people I’ve spoken to and managers I’ve spoken to and they feel this is as tough as it’s been.”

Dyche interview on Sky Sports http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/9938906/burnley-boss-sean-dyche-shocked-by-championship-spending :

"The Championship, it seems to me, regardless of people’s financial situations, that just seems to not even be a hindrance to some of the owners.

It doesn’t even get thought about to me, they just go ‘right, we’re spending, we are paying this much to the player’, or whatever situation it is, so that makes it even more difficult.

It’s the old favourite – ‘Dyche blames so and so’ – I’m not blaming anyone. It is absolutely every club, every owner, every board’s right to do business as they see fit.

Some of the figures in the Championship are astronomical - I am absolutely amazed at some of the wage deals that people are now signing in the Championship – I’m stunned. (They are) way beyond what we were paying in the Premier League and we thought we were paying pretty well."

And that's why your back in the championship you tool!

Archived