The Best League in the World.

Day

But as you can see, especially in La Liga, it's really not needed as the pool of Spanish talent available is so much larger than the English talent, demonstrated by the likes of Lallana going for 20m.

Moreover, Spain have plenty of success looking at South America. If I was to guess, it's probably 60% Spanish, 20% South America and 20% rest. Their success in Europe shows that clubs don't need to look elsewhere.

Why would Sevilla, for instance, look to buy a host of African players when they can find better, cheaper players from within Spain? Their recent success shows they don't need these foreign players.

You only have to look at West Ham for an example. Their squad consists of - English, Irish, Greek, Spanish, Swiss, New Zealand, Welsh, Canadian, Scottish, Italian, French, Senegalese, Uruguayan, Argentine, Ecuadorian, Mali, Norweigen, Croatian - 18 nationalties!

Why can't they have more English players? Simply because they're not good enough. If they were good enough, and cheap enough to buy, I'm sure they'd be a lot more English players in there.

Villarreal, for instance, a team much better than West Ham have 17/27 squad players that are Spanish. Real Sociedad only have seven foreigners in their entire 30-man squad. 

The more globalized the Premier League becomes, the fewer chances the English players will have of making it. It's already gone too far, and Spain and Germany know this.

Ok lets agree all of what you say is true. The answer to why Sevilla (or any other club) would buy foreign players is that it would make them, according to your reasoning, more marketable globally and should theretherefore increase revenue.

I do not believe clubs care about the state of the national team more than their own interests. If this is true (up for debate) then the reason they don't sign foreign players is either that they can't compete with the pull of the Premier League or they don't think globalising the team/league will make enough difference from a marketing point of view. I was simply interested in finding out what you thought the reason was, because surely the other big European leagues would love to compete for the huge TV deals. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clubs don't care about the national teams however the Premier League now does after the FA have spent years banging on their door and why the homegrown quota is being extended. This in turn is also increasing the value of English players, with the new TV deal will allow clubs in this country to keep paying these fees. 

John Stones a £26m bid going in, Sterling £49m it's ridiculous. I disagree with Bris as usual that English players are not good enough for La Liga sides, ridiculous statement to make, in truth they are simply overpriced and doesn't make any sense when they could buy Spanish players of equal talent for half the price.

Clubs don't care about the national teams however the Premier League now does after the FA have spent years banging on their door and why the homegrown quota is being extended. This in turn is also increasing the value of English players, with the new TV deal will allow clubs in this country to keep paying these fees. 

John Stones a £26m bid going in, Sterling £49m it's ridiculous. I disagree with Bris as usual that English players are not good enough for La Liga sides, ridiculous statement to make, in truth they are simply overpriced and doesn't make any sense when they could buy Spanish players of equal talent for half the price.

Where did I say that English players are not good enough for La Liga sides? All I ever said was what you've just followed on with, Spanish clubs will be the equivalent or better standard players for cheaper/equal price.

How often do you find foreign clubs bidding for first-team stars currently playing in the Premier League? Aside from the superstars like Di Maria or Luis Suarez, there aren't that many at all.

Most foreign clubs will buy within their own county or across the European market, or of course an out-of-favour player in the PL. Markets are so much cheaper and the quality of player is as good if not better.

Why can't they have more English players? Simply because they're not good enough. If they were good enough, and cheap enough to buy, I'm sure they'd be a lot more English players in there.

Where did I say that English players are not good enough for La Liga sides? All I ever said was what you've just followed on with, Spanish clubs will be the equivalent or better standard players for cheaper/equal price.

i did follow on but you said they wasn't good enough

i did follow on but you said they wasn't good enough

I was talking about West Ham. Villarreal, for instance, have 17 Spanish players in their first-team squad. Why can't West Ham have 17 English players in their first-team squad?

Because the English players in general aren't good enough, and those that are will be playing for better clubs or are simply too expensive. 

I was talking about West Ham. Villarreal, for instance, have 17 Spanish players in their first-team squad. Why can't West Ham have 17 English players in their first-team squad?

Because the English players in general aren't good enough, and those that are will be playing for better clubs or are simply too expensive. 

because premier league clubs have a lot more money then Spanish clubs due to crazy TV deals and in the prem the TV money is evenly disturbed and in Spain the biggest clubs get the most money from TV. 

Spanish clubs invest more money in academies whereas English clubs can just afford a decent foreign player.

Add to that the stupid homegrown quota which overprices English players then English clubs have less incentive to use English players. 

Archived