The Best League in the World.

Day

In footballing terms then European dominance as such changes over time. But in terms of the overall package the Premier league not only has the most foreign players but also the most foreign owners and investment. Therefore on a global view it appears to be the number one if not the popularly seen as the best in other areas.

Think were the premier league let's it's self down is through the mediocre or relatively meaningless overhyped "Super Sunday's" via Sky.

But it's popularity remains  

After all you can even buy real Fester shirts in the Bangkok airports but are lucky to find anything other than fakes for the non-premier league European elite.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That video is hilarious.

- sometimes in the Premier League players score good goals

- sometimes players in the Premier League do crazy things

- sometimes in the Premier League, teams look like they're relegated - but then they stay up!!!!!

- sometimes in the Premier League, teams win it.

Like it's the only league in the world where any of that stuff happens. Can't wait for the first time one of the big five loses to a lower table team and Sky tell us that it proves how competitive the Premier League is, as if it's the only league in the world where smaller clubs can beat bigger clubs.

That video is hilarious.

- sometimes in the Premier League players score good goals

- sometimes players in the Premier League do crazy things

- sometimes in the Premier League, teams look like they're relegated - but then they stay up!!!!!

- sometimes in the Premier League, teams win it.

Like it's the only league in the world where any of that stuff happens. Can't wait for the first time one of the big five loses to a lower table team and Sky tell us that it proves how competitive the Premier League is, as if it's the only league in the world where smaller clubs can beat bigger clubs.

But up to 7 or 8 teams can win it every year according to them :lol:

Even Barcelona's President believes it;

Barcelona will "fight" to stop the best players joining the Premier League, says the club's president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

The new £5.1bn television deal will give English clubs huge financial power from the 2016-17 season.

But European champions Barcelona feel they can combat the threat.

"We are going to fight against the Premier League. We want to have the best players in our league," Bartomeu told BBC Sport.

"It's true that the Premier League right now is the best league competition in the world, not only in a sporting way but in terms of income too."

In recent years, the Premier League's top players, including Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez, have moved to La Liga with Spanish clubs keeping their top stars.

Etc etc etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33659399

:blink:

There is no doubt the Premier League's financial dominance presents a huge problem for the top clubs in other European Leagues.  They must be wondering how this situation arose, given that the quality of football in the Premier League has never dominated Europe to the same extent. And i don't think it can even (reasonably) claim to be the best one right now. A lot of it has to do with clever marketing i suppose.  I'd rather there was a more level financial playing between leagues throughout Europe....but that's not going to happen.

That's because the Premier League is a hotbed for medicore players earning the big bucks.

La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A are over 60% made up of Spanish, German and Italian players. The Premier League is made up of about 25% English players. 

From a market perspective, the other league's cannot compete. But would they want to? If they went the way of the PL, their national teams would suffer and the youth development in that country would suffer.

A competitive, globally-watched national league with a world class national team cannot co-exist, it will never happen.

That's because the Premier League is a hotbed for medicore players earning the big bucks.

La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A are over 60% made up of Spanish, German and Italian players. The Premier League is made up of about 25% English players. 

From a market perspective, the other league's cannot compete. But would they want to? If they went the way of the PL, their national teams would suffer and the youth development in that country would suffer.

A competitive, globally-watched national league with a world class national team cannot co-exist, it will never happen.

Probably explains why Spain are rubbish now, despite having hundreds of second division players who are better than Hughes

Probably explains why Spain are rubbish now, despite having hundreds of second division players who are better than Hughes

Spain have hundreds of players better than Hughes, don't think that has ever been questioned. I wouldn't say they are rubbish either. I think they will win Euro 2016, Isco being the best player.

But La Liga will never be a global hit like the Premier League. The clubs don't need to use the foreign market, they can produce excellent teams with their core players being Spanish.

England can't do that. And if it did, then it wouln't be half as popular globally as what it is now.

Spain are anything but rubbish. They flooped at the world cup because del bosque played old players like xavi,alonso,casillas,torres. Spain's midfield is very strong. They have a top midfield-Busquets,Thiago,Isco,Koke,Mata,Fabregas,Silva,Cazorla,Saul,Oliver torres,Pedro,Munir,Iniesta,Parejo, Vitolo,Nolito. Top players like Gabi and Ander herrera can't even get called up which shows you how strong they are

Spain have hundreds of players better than Hughes, don't think that has ever been questioned. I wouldn't say they are rubbish either. I think they will win Euro 2016, Isco being the best player.

But La Liga will never be a global hit like the Premier League. The clubs don't need to use the foreign market, they can produce excellent teams with their core players being Spanish.

England can't do that. And if it did, then it wouln't be half as popular globally as what it is now.

Not to disagree with you necessarily, but if the main draw of the Premier League from a global commercial point of view is having so many nationalities represented then why aren't clubs in La Liga or Bundesliga looking to sign the best foreign players to increase their (and the league's) commercial appeal and therefore revenue?

Perhaps I am wrong but I would suspect that clubs and leagues have little real care for how their national teams perform and are much more self serving so their lack of international signings is unlikely to be related to this. Is it simply a case now that they can't compete with the wages being offered in the Premier League for foreign stars (and average players) and we end up with a rich get richer kind of thing as the global appeal of the PL goes unchallenged?

Not to disagree with you necessarily, but if the main draw of the Premier League from a global commercial point of view is having so many nationalities represented then why aren't clubs in La Liga or Bundesliga looking to sign the best foreign players to increase their (and the league's) commercial appeal and therefore revenue?

Perhaps I am wrong but I would suspect that clubs and leagues have little real care for how their national teams perform and are much more self serving so their lack of international signings is unlikely to be related to this. Is it simply a case now that they can't compete with the wages being offered in the Premier League for foreign stars (and average players) and we end up with a rich get richer kind of thing as the global appeal of the PL goes unchallenged?

But as you can see, especially in La Liga, it's really not needed as the pool of Spanish talent available is so much larger than the English talent, demonstrated by the likes of Lallana going for 20m.

Moreover, Spain have plenty of success looking at South America. If I was to guess, it's probably 60% Spanish, 20% South America and 20% rest. Their success in Europe shows that clubs don't need to look elsewhere.

Why would Sevilla, for instance, look to buy a host of African players when they can find better, cheaper players from within Spain? Their recent success shows they don't need these foreign players.

You only have to look at West Ham for an example. Their squad consists of - English, Irish, Greek, Spanish, Swiss, New Zealand, Welsh, Canadian, Scottish, Italian, French, Senegalese, Uruguayan, Argentine, Ecuadorian, Mali, Norweigen, Croatian - 18 nationalties!

Why can't they have more English players? Simply because they're not good enough. If they were good enough, and cheap enough to buy, I'm sure they'd be a lot more English players in there.

Villarreal, for instance, a team much better than West Ham have 17/27 squad players that are Spanish. Real Sociedad only have seven foreigners in their entire 30-man squad. 

The more globalized the Premier League becomes, the fewer chances the English players will have of making it. It's already gone too far, and Spain and Germany know this.

Archived