Blackpool

David

Blackpool's pre-season friendly at Morecambe on Tuesday, 28 July has been called off because of "safety concerns in light of a planned protest".

The Seasiders' friendly against Lancaster on 11 July was abandoned after some fans invaded the pitch in protest against chairman Karl Oyston.

The League One club say they are "extremely disappointed" their match against Morecambe has been called off.

Blackpool were relegated from the Championship last season.

The protest at Lancaster was the latest in a number of disputes between fans and the Oyston family over their running of the club.

Blackpool's last Championship game of the season - against Huddersfield - was abandoned on 48 minutes after supporters invaded the pitch.

"For the avoidance of doubt, the club will not stand by and allow the actions of a minority continue to hamper football being played," Blackpool said in a statement.

"The club will hand out stadium bans to those involved in pitch invasions to date and pursue civil proceedings for damages, as well as further injunctions to include powers of arrest should anybody under the terms of a banning order attempt to enter the stadium."

Blackpool have completed one pre-season fixture so far this summer, beating non-league Blyth Spartans 2-0 on Tuesday.

They are scheduled to play St Johnstone on 25 July, and Accrington Stanley six days later.

http://bbc.in/1CFstBQ

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly the fans aren't going to let the club play again. I wonder how long it'll be before all games are behind closed doors. Oyston seems like a very bitter, arrogant and stubborn man and I can see him letting the club die before he leaves, he has plenty of business interests, don't think Blackpool's demise would rock his finances too badly, especially if he's started making motions to plan for it.

I can't understand why the Oystons are still there. The money is gone and the club is in freefall.

BTW just a reminder that they're not afraid of taking people to court, so just be a bit careful what you say on here.

I can't understand why the Oystons are still there. The money is gone and the club is in freefall.

BTW just a reminder that they're not afraid of taking people to court, so just be a bit careful what you say on here.

Parachute payments haven't run out yet.

While there are still stones, they will try to get blood out of them. I think it's gone beyond that now though, and it almost looks as though Koko is trying to get them down to the Conference. He has reportedly told certain individuals that is his intention, although I guess now that people will say anything to get a reaction.

I agree that people need to be careful - Oyston seems to have a track record of goading people, then when they snap, he sues them. Nice fellow - morals of a saint, just like his convicted rapist father.

Fans are hurting the club now tho, stopping the team getting any pre season games, not really helping the players. 2 seasons in a row now the club haven't had a pre season. Boycott the games, don't buy any merchandise, don't put a single penny into the club. Let the team play the games tho otherwise it will be League 2 next season.

Clearly the fans aren't going to let the club play again. I wonder how long it'll be before all games are behind closed doors. Oyston seems like a very bitter, arrogant and stubborn man and I can see him letting the club die before he leaves, he has plenty of business interests, don't think Blackpool's demise would rock his finances too badly, especially if he's started making motions to plan for it.

He's not making any money from Blackpool anymore really I don't think, so I can only imagine he's fully aware of where the club is heading, and who is responsible.

Edited for damn good reasons.

"I am on a never-ending nightmare revenge mission"

-Karl Oyston

Fans are hurting the club now tho, stopping the team getting any pre season games, not really helping the players. 2 seasons in a row now the club haven't had a pre season. Boycott the games, don't buy any merchandise, don't put a single penny into the club. Let the team play the games tho otherwise it will be League 2 next season.

Also the were away games. So BFC wouldn't get any more from them anyway.

I've got a feeling this is going to turn quite violent before anything changes. Someone's going to end up putting one of the Oystons in hospital and it doesn't need to go that way.

Yep. 

Oyston keeps goading them though. They throw tennis balls on the pitch and he takes photos of himself with a racquet.  He took the statue they planned a protest at. He sues them, mocks them, insults them...

He'll get hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bad deal all around.Can Oyston not be forced to sell?

Apparently Owen Oyston sent his response to the BST (Blackpool Supporters Trust) bid last night - more questions than answers, and there was a danger of it descending into tit-for-tat potshots. However, BST have responded today as follows:

PRESS RELEASE by BST in response to Owen Oyston's letter:

Tuesday July 28th 10:00am

Blackpool Supporters’ Trust is pleased that the majority owners of Blackpool FC are treating our ‘letter of intent to buy’ with every respect.

We made our bid public at the same time as delivering it privately to Owen Oyston because our members requested that we should do so. This was after a number of private overtures from BST to the owners had received no response.

Now that we have an acknowledgement from the club, we will be seeking approval from the BST membership to reply privately to Owen Oyston in due course.

We expected some of his queries would surface during the process of discussion and negotiation. Our detailed replies should not be a pre-requisite to discussions taking place.

We propose that if Owen Oyston is really serious about holding a dialogue on the Trust’s ‘letter of intent to buy’, we should relocate the conversation from the public domain to the boardroom. We can continue it more appropriately in a business-like and professional manner behind closed doors until such time as there is something substantive to put to our members and the media.

We are confident in our ability to pursue this initiative but we are in the very preliminary stages of what could be a long process and it would be inappropriate to comment publicly on the content of Owen Oyston’s reply at this stage.

You would think that The Football League could intervene at some level.

The trouble with the '...fit and proper person' rule is that it cannot be applied retrospectively. Owen would be very unlikely to pass it now - son Karl is currently banned from football-related activities over his 'enjoy your special needs day out' jibe at a fan.

Archived