The Ashes

Ovis aries

50 for Rogers. At a good rate too. Seems to relish the Ashes challenge. 

...I also think that was just an ad on my TV that tried to advertise batteries by showing Warnie escaping the scene after a guy walked in on him cheating with his wife. Will seek confirmation on that. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...rightyo then... I guess nothing can be worse than his failed talk show. You know it's something special when even the Nine Network in Australia won't let him finish the first season of the show. I kind of wish Warnie learnt his strength was on the cricket field, not off it. He'd probably have ended up captain if he could keep himself out of trouble off the field. 

I well, I guess instead he'll just be a public figure that will either get people to cringe or go "onya Warnie!" I just wish he'd let himself be remembered as a great cricketer, but he seems pretty desperate to make sure that's not the case. 

Lovely technique from Smithy there. Out comes Clarke. 

He really is a unique batsman. Good bowling from Ali too though there, saw him coming and darted it down leg side, would've been stumped had he not got any bat on it I feel.

On Warne, it's been really refreshing to have Ponting in the Sky commentary box instead of him, sensible and insightful commentary without trying hard to be controversial and a pretty funny guy to boot. I hope it's for the whole series.

He really is a unique batsman. Good bowling from Ali too though there, saw him coming and darted it down leg side, would've been stumped had he not got any bat on it I feel.

On Warne, it's been really refreshing to have Ponting in the Sky commentary box instead of him, sensible and insightful commentary without trying hard to be controversial and a pretty funny guy to boot. I hope it's for the whole series.

Channel 9 shipped over their commentary team for the series. I tend to have the TV muted if Warnie comes on these days. It's something that seems completely lost these days in Australian commentary. The commentator should be telling you about what's happening, it's not a talk show that happens to be concurrent with the cricket!

It's not all bad though, some of channel 9's team actually talks about the actual cricket, occasionally. 

As for Smith's technique, it's quite something really. I really like watching him as a player, but he occasionally makes it look like he's made a hash of it. I completely agree though, it's quite the reflex to have actually gotten something on that ball, he'd have been stumped if he didn't react somehow. 

Bit lucky though , could just have easily been umpire  not out , and the revue would have still been not out

This is where I disagree (and with Mikey). Hawkeye clearly demonstrated that the ball would go on to hit the stumps, therefore the umpire, in giving it out, was absolutely spot on. If the umpire had given it not out, then it would have been unlucky.

Channel 9 shipped over their commentary team for the series. I tend to have the TV muted if Warnie comes on these days. It's something that seems completely lost these days in Australian commentary. The commentator should be telling you about what's happening, it's not a talk show that happens to be concurrent with the cricket!

It's not all bad though, some of channel 9's team actually talks about the actual cricket, occasionally. 

What summed him up for me was during the Australia - India test series this summer when he somehow had the whole commentary box talking about their favourite type of pizza for about an hour, culminating in an online vote by channel 9. Unbelievable.

Warne's favourite is a 'dirty rotten' ham and pineapple for anyone interested.

Cook gone, driving at a wide half-volley, caught at point.

Edit - ball went through the top. This is going to be very difficult to bat on come tomorrow and Sunday

Archived