Marquee Player/Manager

Day

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really know why we adopted one of the American definitions of marquee. All I can imagine is Anelka making sure a large tent is well taken care of while playing inside of it.

That weird silhouette of him is really odd as well. Some may even go to say portraying a black man as entirely white for the aesthetics of a press release is inappropriate.

I happened to be in India when the last tournament took place. It was good to see Indian football getting more exposure, but there are so many things that frustrate me about their attitude towards the game.

They are obsessed with celebrity, so this marquee nonsense is par for the course. I'm guessing they've brought Anelka back in an effort to sell tickets because it certainly isn't for the way he played. His performances for Mumbai last time around could be described as statuesque, but only in the literal sense.

A good number of the "marquee signings" in the last ISL performed poorly. The players who actually made the difference were the journeymen who needed to perform well to boost their flailing careers, (Stephen Pearson, Iain Hume, Josemi etc...).

Finally, the standard of the domestic players is pretty dreadful. OK, football is the 3rd or 4th most popular sport, but a nation of over 1 billion still ought to be able to field a competitive national team. India recently lost 2-1 to Gaum in a world cup qualifier.

I happened to be in India when the last tournament took place. It was good to see Indian football getting more exposure, but there are so many things that frustrate me about their attitude towards the game.

They are obsessed with celebrity, so this marquee nonsense is par for the course. I'm guessing they've brought Anelka back in an effort to sell tickets because it certainly isn't for the way he played. His performances for Mumbai last time around could be described as statuesque, but only in the literal sense.

A good number of the "marquee signings" in the last ISL performed poorly. The players who actually made the difference were the journeymen who needed to perform well to boost their flailing careers, (Stephen Pearson, Iain Hume, Josemi etc...).

Finally, the standard of the domestic players is pretty dreadful. OK, football is the 3rd or 4th most popular sport, but a nation of over 1 billion still ought to be able to field a competitive national team. India recently lost 2-1 to Gaum in a world cup qualifier.

I agree Anon.  They should be able to be more competitive. No Asifs or Butts.

I'm surprised that no one else has picked up on the fact that Anelka is now apparently white.....:o

I said that, in fairness to me. :p

That weird silhouette of him is really odd as well. Some may even go to say portraying a black man as entirely white for the aesthetics of a press release is inappropriate.

I wouldn't say it was inappropriate but India is renowned for racism towards it's darker skinned people. That's why it cheesed me off when Gordon Brown was over there grovelling to them for forgiveness because of Jade Goody after she bullied Shilpa Shetty, who should by the way have had some cultural sensitivity and used a fork.

I wouldn't say it was inappropriate but India is renowned for racism towards it's darker skinned people. That's why it cheesed me off when Gordon Brown was over there grovelling to them for forgiveness because of Jade Goody after she bullied Shilpa Shetty, who should by the way have had some cultural sensitivity and used a fork.

As a designer (even though I'm currently in mechanical design) I would definitely get umms and arrs over that graphic if it was put forward.

Similar to a medical company my company worked with briefly hued one of their graphics to the colour of the company, to a sort of green-scale. So a person in the graphic appeared green. Didn't seem out of place, got through their marketing etc. until it was pointed out to them that their company sells machines that produce radiation. At which case it got a bit "what are you implying?"

When I say similar, I mean you're not actually offending anyone really, but people think in different ways and you should definitely try to avoid being accidentally provocative - I don't presume to think whoever designed it is racist, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they got complaints over it.

Archived