Diet for Benitez

Day

Real Madrid want new manager Rafa Benitez to lose weight to avoid the 'fat' jibes that have plagued the former Liverpool and Chelsea boss for much of his managerial career, according to reports in Spain.

The 55-year-old's weight has frequently been the subject of taunts from fans rival and Real's directors are said to be keen on that reputation not following him to the Spanish capital next season.

According to AS, Real president Florentino Perez even had reservations about appointing Benitez because of his public image despite having no doubts over his managerial ability.

During his spell as interim manager at Chelsea, Benitez's name frequently popped up alongside the word 'fat' in chants from the stands as well as supporters' banners.

Earlier this year Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero said the Spanish boss would need to 'see a dietitian' before he would appoint him as their coach.

Despite any reservations over his weight, Real elected to bring Benitez from Napoli to replace former manager Carlo Ancelotti and he will be expected to provide immediate success next season.

Real went without a trophy this season with Barcelona's fantastic treble leaving Los Blancos in the shade.

Benitez is already reported to be planning double training sessions in a bid to whip his stars into shape for the new campaign in the first of a three-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3133297/Real-Madrid-directors-reported-want-new-manager-Rafa-Benitez-lose-weight-appointing-him.html#ixzz3dhegOcTR

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And rightly so

I'm a right lard bucket myself - to the point that I think I must have American DNA floating around somewhere - and people can (and do) call me what they want.

People happy to have a jab at the guy for being fat but would get their backs up as soon as anyone started being homophobic or racist. 

Can't help your race or sexuality though can you? There is a difference.

If I had to put up with getting called a names it'd soon wear thin

It's never bothered me. Fatso, carnivore, alky - don't care.

Maybe it's your thick skin that makes you look fat?

That's because when I was a child in India I was very good at hide and Sikh.

Archived