Channel 5 Primetime 9pm Football League Show

Curtains

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was absolute dreck. Cringeworthy and sloppy, vastly inferior to BBC coverage.

Apart from Kelly trying to anchor it professionally after the mumbling jumbling Gormless George had lost the thread again, it has no redeeming feature, apart from the early time-slot.

What a pity we can't have a decent FL show to enjoy before MoTD. No replays, no controversies revisited, hardly any interviews...almost blink-and-you'll-miss-it highlights from games all over the leagues chucked in at random intervals, with no organisation at all to make each league an entity that fans can focus upon for (say) 10 or 15 minutes.

The sheer stupidity of the suspense-filled League tables 'reveal' on clanky rotating boards left me open-mouthed.

The probable reality is that programme-planners get paid 6-figure salaries to conceive and execute the programme format and look for 'novel' ways to show info that most people had already checked out on the interweb by the time that the BBC had read out the day's results at 5.00 pm!

The presenters seemed to vaguely clump around the studio backwards & forwards between the scatter-groups of token fans, without guests such as Martin Allen (a really engaging fellow...duhhh) knowing what the hell was coming next.

Then there are the tedious repetitive chunks of garish ads for betting, fast food, cars, gaming trivia, repeated at 12-minute intervals. 

I do like to see highlights of other games and lower leagues - but can't say I can stomach this programme and may resort to just picking off web highlights instead.

I wonder if the FL and the clubs are actually proud of this service to fans, or are they just happy they obtained another TV deal to carry the coverage? Did they have any input? Should they? Should we?

We should ask RD and DCFC what they really think of it and also let them know our thoughts 'in person' at forums, etc. 

Perhaps there could be a 'Suggestions to Channel 5's FL Show' thread, with the same politeness rules as apply to the recent DCFC ideas box....?

It was a bit like Fantasy Football League.

it would be better if they binned the irrelevant match highlights and just walked about yapping.

Get plenty of beer in you first and it might make sense...

Hopefully it will improve as the weeks go by. A bit clunky this first week jumping around, but like you said there's no reason why the lower leagues can't be on first.

Give them a few weeks.

MoTD is awesome. It's been going for ever, with only superficial changes. Everything else that's been tried looks inferior.

Use the MoTD format. There. TV production? I **** it.

Thought this review was hilarious....

"Regarding the show...

Probably the shittest thing I've ever seen attempted on TV. I genuinely think someone behind the scenes might be taking the piss.

The highlight of the whole 1hr 20mins, was the advert for a programme about a young lad with massive **** off hands."

From the Football Leagues very own website.

"As well as every goal across the divisions, the show will be jam-packed with high profile names. Players and managers will be encouraged to join us in the studio each week, or take part in the conversation via Skype and Facetime. A vibrant studio audience of genuine fans will also give their opinions. No lengthy punditry, no football clichés, this is football on 5 at its most exciting.

I think me telly must be bust..................next week I'm expecting Spit the Dog, the Gunge Tank and the return of the phantom flan clinger!

I haven't watched it, and I won't. 

I really don't see why they don't have an hour for Championship and a hour for League One and Two. I just don't see how they can make something so simple, so *****. 

I knew it would be full of **** gimmicks and not enough analysis. 

Focus on four games in the Championship - five minutes highlights each, with two minutes analysis. Around 30 minutes accumulated for that.  

Assuming all games have been played up to this point: 30 minutes to cover the other eight games. 

League One focus on two games, League Two focus on two games. Around 30 minutes. Goals show for the rest of the division, with a little analysis. 

Done. No audience, no gimmicks, no lame jokes. 

Watching now, almost half way through. Basically you are all a bunch of drama queens, the kind of people that would complain to the BBC if you saw a bra strap on Eastenders.

The only thing that would annoy me watching live is the adverts.

Channel 5 have to cover 3 leagues, if you're all expecting the same analysis you get on MOTD that cover a handful of games you will never be happy. It's impossible, would cost a fortune and the programme would be on for 6 hours.

I quite like the studio feel, mixing the leagues up, speeding through a few games with an ex player talking over, Kelly Cates is nicer on the eye than Manish and it's not on at stupid o clock.

It's better than the FLS, there I said it. 

Archived