Grimsby Town fans raising the transfer kitty

Day

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst could be handed a bulging transfer kitty as a fund comprising supporters donations has doubled its target.

The Mariners finished third in the Conference but lost a play-off final penalty shootout to Bristol Rovers.

Determined to see their side promoted, a supporters' trust set a donation target of £20,000 but more than £41,000 has been contributed inside a week.

The project, named #operationpromotion, ends on 26 July.

Local Euromillions winners Lee and Susan Mullen have also agreed to match the money raised with a donation of their own up to the value of £20,000, increasing the prospect of a six-figure sum being generated.

It may not prove enough to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale or even Mario Balotelli, but such income should make a strong impact in a league where clubs typically acquire players through free transfers or loan moves.

The Lincolnshire club has benefitted from supporter generosity in the past, as fans part-funded the signing of Republic of Ireland international Joe Waters in 1976 and Italian striker Ivano Bonetti in 1995.

Grimsby were relegated from League Two in 2010 but have finished in the top four of the Conference in each of the past three seasons.

Over 1,100 donations have been made and the Mariners Trust are now targeting £50,000 for what they hope will be a "Conference assault".

_83509767_moneyraised.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33065314

Crazy to think we're here talking about Ince from between £3-6m, yet here's Grimsby calling a six figure sum an assault on the conference. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when we relegated to the Championship all them years back first time round and we played them in the first away game, if I remember right. It was on TV.

​Bloody hell, i remember that, they played far better than us but we nicked it i seem to recall. 

Remember when we relegated to the Championship all them years back first time round and we played them in the first away game, if I remember right. It was on TV.

​That was the day that Danny Higginbotham fractured Steve Livingstone's skull.

Horrible injury.

£41k would significantly revitalise the Town let alone the Football Team. I look forward one day to visiting again Grim Vegas.

​Hold on, are you not in Brighton and taking the pee?

davd_walliams_g_a_y_15_wenn3971718.jpg

Archived