Giles Barnes

matty1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​He's playing in a league that's arguably as strong as the Championship, and stronger than the Scottish Premier League, where a good fraction of our key players came from. Judging a player who had injury problems on their form 4 years ago (when they were about 22 if I recall right) is an odd way of going about it. 

If the U.S. League is equivalent to the Championship now then fair enough. I know the Americans are slowly getting better at footy and would dominate the sport if the other popular sports in the U.S. didnt stand to lose so much if football became more popular than them. I'm not too sure how true it is that the American League is equivalent to championship standard but I'm not that clued up on it really so if it's improved to that level then it could be a good signing. I'd have thought the rough and tumble of the championship would also matter though? It's not just about the level of quality of the leagues but the style of play as well. There's some proper thugs in this league.

​Think you're doing it a disservice.

It's really not that bad. The attacking play can be first rate at times, it's just in general, the defending is pretty woeful.

Can make for some good games though.

Possibly but if you took out the names of players you know from home or abroad the rest of the widely unknown players that make up most teams in the MLS what level would you say they would fit in our leagues here then ?

Possibly but if you took out the names of players you know from home or abroad the rest of the widely unknown players that make up most teams in the MLS what level would you say they would fit in our leagues here then ?

​That's like the Messi at Stoke on a wet Tuesday night argument.

​That's like the Messi at Stoke on a wet Tuesday night argument.

I think Messi would still be first class at Stoke on any night of the week or under any various weather conditions you would like to impose on him. The majority of unknown MLS players would struggle to make first team in most current championship sides. As quoted before Bradley Wright Phillips is the leagues top scorer a player who wasn't even a regular for Southampton in the championship.

WP_20150607_09_31_21_Pro.jpg

​I may have found a flaw in this article, imagine others have seen it too.

''Morris has told new coach Paul Clement to try and sign Barnes''. Why would Morris tell Clement to sign Barnes? Surely it's Rush and Evans that handle transfers and as someone suggested earlier, Clement might not even have a say in transfers (hinted by McClaren's leaving comments and Clement's 'pragmatic' previod setup).

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but if Nixon is as clued up as he claims to be, why make that remark?

Wouldn't be against him coming back  if he has matured, and for him it's a chance to prove himself. Surely he doesn't want to spend the rest of his career in the MLS? 

Im surprised he's only 26, he's got a few more years in him, so off the bench he'd be a good addition.

Not our first choose winger for next season I hope -

Russell, Ince and Barnes as our wingers

Martin and Bent up top

Weimann operating in both roles?

We could do worse!

I think Messi would still be first class at Stoke on any night of the week or under any various weather conditions you would like to impose on him. The majority of unknown MLS players would struggle to make first team in most current championship sides. As quoted before Bradley Wright Phillips is the leagues top scorer a player who wasn't even a regular for Southampton in the championship.

​Yeah, just like that plonker Chris Martin ended up being top scorer at Derby 2 years running, must be a rubbish leag... oh...

He was top scorer in a league that included players like Robbie Keane, Obafemi Martins, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan. He had previously shown his scoring abilities at Charlton in League One. His time at Soton you seem to be referencing was now in excess of 6 years ago at this point. 

Looking at various player records for goalscorers, this isn't even close to the Scottish situation, where you can pretty estimate a strikers strike rate in one league or another by double their Championship goals per game if going to Scotland, or halving it if coming from Scotland. Yet, we've still successfully picked up good players from Scotland. 

That said, I don't actually want Barnes, and the prospect that the chairman is meddling with the transfer policy would be something of a worry. 

​I may have found a flaw in this article, imagine others have seen it too.

''Morris has told new coach Paul Clement to try and sign Barnes''. Why would Morris tell Clement to sign Barnes? Surely it's Rush and Evans that handle transfers and as someone suggested earlier, Clement might not even have a say in transfers (hinted by McClaren's leaving comments and Clement's 'pragmatic' previod setup).

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but if Nixon is as clued up as he claims to be, why make that remark?

they were my thoughts. Would hate to have a chairman interfering with player recruitment/selection which this article implies.

they were my thoughts. Would hate to have a chairman interfering with player recruitment/selection which this article implies.

​I agree, the more and more the owners interfere, the more we turn into a club like Cardiff!

Leave the transfers to the ''professionals'', I honestly don;t believe owners should meddle with onfield matters at all, that's what the coaching, scouting and transfer management are there for...

Wouldn't be against him coming back  if he has matured, and for him it's a chance to prove himself. Surely he doesn't want to spend the rest of his career in the MLS? 

Im surprised he's only 26, he's got a few more years in him, so off the bench he'd be a good addition.

Not our first choose winger for next season I hope -

Russell, Ince and Barnes as our wingers

Martin and Bent up top

Weimann operating in both roles?

We could do a LOT worse!

Another person who thinks of Barnes as a winger. I do seem to have odd moments where something I swear is true is apparently not and I'm convinced I've gone to sleep and woke up in a parallel universe where everything is exactly the same apart from one particular fact. That seems to have happened again because I could have sworn Barnes played centrally as of yesterday 

To be fair seeing how big Sam has operated at the club in the 2 yrs he's been on board i cant imagine for 1 minute he'd allow meddling in first team affairs. Saying that beware local ownership as they engage heart before brain (Lionel, Gadsby). Hope this change in direction doesnt come back to bite us and we end up crawling on bended knee to the ownership group in the US.

Archived