Giles Barnes

matty1

Sith Happens

Found this article on hereisthecity, its suppose to be lifted from the sun online

The Rams appointed former Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid coach Paul Clement as their new manager last week, replacing Steve McClaren after the former England boss failed to reach the play-offs last season.

Clement will be looking to mould his squad this summer after a number of loan players returned to their parent clubs, and a surprise name has been linked with a move to Derby.

A strange rumour from The Sun suggests that new owner Mel Morris is a big fan of former Derby wonderkid Giles Barnes, and has told new manager Clement to bring Barnes back to the iPro Stadium despite his release in 2009.

The versatile forward emerged in the Derby first team as a teenager but eventually fell by the wayside, and after spells with Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and Doncaster Rovers, Barnes moved out to America with MLS side Houston Dynamo.

Now 26, Barnes is starting to show some of that potential, scoring six goals in 15 games this season, taking his tally to 28 goals in 95 games for Houston.

A return to Derby would be stunning despite Barnes' exploits in the States, with Derby surely looking to move forward rather than go backwards and bring back Barnes, whose first spell at the club fizzled out - but stranger things have happened, and Barnes' form in America may suggest that he has turned a corner in his career and is ready for a return to England.

One thing stands out, and it just cant be true, if it was i would be very worried...

Mel Morris surely wont be using his influence like this, if he was we would be in deep trouble, you only have to look down the A52 what happens when chairmen try and sign players they want....If it turned out to be true, we will be looking for a new head coach again within the next 12 months.

Also - cant believe he is still only 26.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has though

​He had struggles for the first few years leaving us, for understandable reasons, but he hasn't played in England since 2012, and has been apparently performing well in America. I personally don't want him back, but I could understand if he did return. 

​He had struggles for the first few years leaving us, for understandable reasons, but he hasn't played in England since 2012, and has been apparently performing well in America. I personally don't want him back, but I could understand if he did return. 

Aye but he's played in England within the last 6 years and he didn't play well is all I'm saying. I'd love to have Giles Barnes back in a Derby shirt tearing past defenders but we let him go for a reason last time

Aye but he's played in England within the last 6 years and he didn't play well is all I'm saying. I'd love to have Giles Barnes back in a Derby shirt tearing past defenders but we let him go for a reason last time

​Again though, saying 6 years was a bit of a dishonest way of expressing it. Saying "when he last played in England over 3 years ago he had a rough time of it" would have been a better way of expressing it than "he hasn't played well in England in 6 years". Ronaldo hasn't performed well in England in 6 years, Messi hasn't ever performed well in England, Diego Forlan didn't perform well in England, while Pogba and Pique haven't either arguably. It's just a poor way of expressing "I thought he looked poor at Doncaster 4 years ago". 

He actually got good minutes for Doncaster while he was there, and in America has actually done really well. 28 goals and 10 assists in 101 appearances doesn't sound too shabby at all to be honest, and the quality of the MLS is higher than a lot give it credit for. 

He wanted to go. He wouldn't sign a new contract

Actually he left by mutual consent. 

Clement's arrival interview, when asked what type of coach he was... He said he was a pragmatic one because at Madrid, the owner bought the players and he and Ancelotti had to coach whatever they were given. 

In McClaren's exit statement to sky Sports, he said Derby's new owner wanted a change in direction that McClaren didn't agree with. 

​Putting 2 and  2 together... 

Clement's arrival interview, when asked what type of coach he was... He said he was a pragmatic one because at Madrid, the owner bought the players and he and Ancelotti had to coach whatever they were given. 

In McClaren's exit statement to sky Sports, he said Derby's new owner wanted a change in direction that McClaren didn't agree with. 

​Putting 2 and  2 together... 

​And believing a Nixon rumour.

​Again though, saying 6 years was a bit of a dishonest way of expressing it. Saying "when he last played in England over 3 years ago he had a rough time of it" would have been a better way of expressing it than "he hasn't played well in England in 6 years". Ronaldo hasn't performed well in England in 6 years, Messi hasn't ever performed well in England, Diego Forlan didn't perform well in England, while Pogba and Pique haven't either arguably. It's just a poor way of expressing "I thought he looked poor at Doncaster 4 years ago". 

He actually got good minutes for Doncaster while he was there, and in America has actually done really well. 28 goals and 10 assists in 101 appearances doesn't sound too shabby at all to be honest, and the quality of the MLS is higher than a lot give it credit for. 

It wasn't me that said it but I think it was an entirely accurate statement. We know he hasn't played much in the championship. He's been playing in a league regarded as inferior whereas Messi has been playing in a league that is superior. So the equivalence is false. It is not a blot on Messi's record that he hasn't played in the championship whereas it is with Barnes. Therefore it's a legitimate concern.

What you said was accurate too but it's a moot point. There was no real need to pull the reductio ad lionelerum 

Not dead against it as a back up but attitude was always questionable. The MLS standard is lower end of the championship to league 1 at best with a few stars who stroll around not breaking a sweat

​Think you're doing it a disservice.

It's really not that bad. The attacking play can be first rate at times, it's just in general, the defending is pretty woeful.

Can make for some good games though.

We're linked with a player that apart from injuries would have been a top premier league player, who has got himself fit, gone to the states, and been a revelation. 

I agree with everyone else. That's ****. This club is a joke. 

It wasn't me that said it but I think it was an entirely accurate statement. We know he hasn't played much in the championship. He's been playing in a league regarded as inferior whereas Messi has been playing in a league that is superior. So the equivalence is false. It is not a blot on Messi's record that he hasn't played in the championship whereas it is with Barnes. Therefore it's a legitimate concern.

What you said was accurate too but it's a moot point. There was no real need to pull the reductio ad lionelerum 

​He's playing in a league that's arguably as strong as the Championship, and stronger than the Scottish Premier League, where a good fraction of our key players came from. Judging a player who had injury problems on their form 4 years ago (when they were about 22 if I recall right) is an odd way of going about it. 

Archived