McClaren set for Newcastle

Day

Former Boro boss Steve McClaren is reported to be closing in on the Newcastle United job - and he could target Patrick Bamford as his first signing at St James’ Park.

McClaren is expected to meet the club’s hierarchy in the coming days and could be unveiled as the new boss as early as next week, according to the Mail Online.

And one of his first jobs could be to try and wrap up a deal to take Patrick Bamford to Tyneside.

McClaren worked with Bamford at Derby County and tried to sign the gifted forward again last summer before the 21-year-old completed his move to Boro.

Bamford certainly isn’t short of admirers in the Premier League. He’s already been linked with moves to Aston Villa and Southampton as top flight clubs circled at the end of last season.

Boro would be keen on bringing Bamford back to the Riverside next year but the highly-rated striker looks set to continue his development in the top tier.

And reports suggest the England Under-21 international is on Newcastle’s shortlist as the Magpies look for a much-improved season after a relegation scare last time out.

McClaren was reportedly offered the job at St James’ towards the end of last season as Newcastle spiralled uncontrollably towards the drop zone.

The former Boro and England manager turned down Ashley’s advances then but is now interested in taking charge after being sacked as Derby boss after a dismal end to the season which saw the Rams fall out of the play-off places, despite being one of the favourites to win automatic promotion at the turn of the year.

Ex-Real Madrid assistant manager Paul Clement was yesterday appointed as Derby’s new manager.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-mcclaren-set-newcastle---9373497#ICID=sharebar_twitter

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shows what little integrity he has.  Viera distanced himself from the role when it became clear he wouldn't have final say on transfers, whereas Schteve is all too happy to be Ashley's bi-atch.

And isn't that the same Patrick Bamford that turned down the chance to return to us because Schteve decided wasn't good enough to oust Martin from the CF position?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Do I want him to crash and burn, or do I want to feel happy for him and hope he does well?

I have an analogy that might help anyone with similar conflicting emotions.

Imagine you're going out with a girl, everything's going great, so much more exciting than your last girlfriend. Then, glorious day, you find out she's pregnant, it's going to be amazing, you're chuffed to bits.

Then the tragic news comes that you've lost the baby. You try to soldier on as a couple, put on a brave face, but deep down you know that something has gone wrong. It's no one's fault, but the cracks start to show. You start having arguments, you start getting jealous about stupid little things. Why are you chatting to that Mike from your work so much? Oh, he just had some really nice things to say, you know after the baby, he's been a good friend. Eventually you break up, and it all gets a bit messy.

A couple of weeks later, you find out she's with Mike from work.

At that moment, you probably hope they crash and burn. Just like Mac. At this moment I hope his time with Newcastle will be an absolute disaster.

But, personally, I'd like to think that, in time, I could get to a place where I wish Mac well, I hope Newcastle treat him well, and I hope he has every success. We had some really good times, and, ultimately, the break up was no one's fault. But for a Zamora goal, the baby would have been healthy, and we could have lived happily ever after in the Prem.

It just wasn't meant to be, and now we've all moved on.

But, for me, it's still going to take some time. Right now Mac can go **** himself (which will be difficult while being buggered by Mike).

I have no interest in how he does there. Relationships clearly broke down at Derby and he was sacked; free to go wherever he wants. Better for Newcastle that he doesn't have any say in incoming transfers.

All the best Mac.... Got us going again.

You go with good integrity.... And deserve every penny you got for your severance.

Once again I ask this.... Would anyone else be looking for work if they knew they were going....

The man has got integrity.

onwards and upwards.... Lol

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Do I want him to crash and burn, or do I want to feel happy for him and hope he does well?

I have an analogy that might help anyone with similar conflicting emotions.

Imagine you're going out with a girl, everything's going great, so much more exciting than your last girlfriend. Then, glorious day, you find out she's pregnant, it's going to be amazing, you're chuffed to bits.

Then the tragic news comes that you've lost the baby. You try to soldier on as a couple, put on a brave face, but deep down you know that something has gone wrong. It's no one's fault, but the cracks start to show. You start having arguments, you start getting jealous about stupid little things. Why are you chatting to that Mike from your work so much? Oh, he just had some really nice things to say, you know after the baby, he's been a good friend. Eventually you break up, and it all gets a bit messy.

A couple of weeks later, you find out she's with Mike from work.

At that moment, you probably hope they crash and burn. Just like Mac. At this moment I hope his time with Newcastle will be an absolute disaster.

But, personally, I'd like to think that, in time, I could get to a place where I wish Mac well, I hope Newcastle treat him well, and I hope he has every success. We had some really good times, and, ultimately, the break up was no one's fault. But for a Zamora goal, the baby would have been healthy, and we could have lived happily ever after in the Prem.

It just wasn't meant to be, and now we've all moved on.

But, for me, it's still going to take some time. Right now Mac can go **** himself (which will be difficult while being buggered by Mike).

​The best post I've seen on here, yet. *Applause*

I'm more concerned that if he gets the job, he is gonna try and steal crucial members of our back room and playing staff. Surely he has inside knowledge to contracts and release clauses etc. 

Worrying times ahead. ??

​I expect Steele and Simmo to probably go anyway. They followed him here so why not follow him out? If other staff like the chap that holds his hands in the stand, the one with the laptop on his knee, goes, then I won't be awfully fussed.

If Steve wants any of our players he'll have to bid what it's worth. He wouldn't have been foolish enough to set release clauses below a players true value when our boss, it wouldn't have been beneficial to him and I doubt he would have done it just in case he found himself in a position of signing our players.

All players have agents, if the transfer clause was low enough that he could just waltz in and snatch our best players, do you not think the agents would have been right on to PL clubs saying "look you can have this player at a knock-down price, it's his release clause". Agents are all in it for the money, so if they do meet our clause that's fine, but I doubt it will be a pittance.

Archived