Jake Livermore likes the coke, not the cola

Day

Two more players in trouble for failed drug tests, Jose Baxter and some reserve goalie at Wolves.

We wait years for something like this to happen then 3 come along in as many days. A bit like Eddie getting an erection.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so presumably we're all confidant from his gutless lilly-livered performances in a Derby shirt he wasn't on the ol columbian marching powder back then?

​If he was on any substance that was supposed to be enhancing his performances when he was with us, he either needs to reassess whether he's even actually any good at this football lark at all or get a new dealer.

Two more players in trouble for failed drug tests, Jose Baxter and some reserve goalie at Wolves.

We wait years for something like this to happen then 3 come along in as many days. A bit like Eddie getting an erection.

​You know how to turn a man on

• 3 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34199998

Hull City midfielder Jake Livermore will not be banned after testing positive for cocaine.

The 25-year-old was suspended by the Football Association and his club in May after failing a drug test, pending the outcome of a disciplinary hearing.

The England international, who faced a possible two-year ban, tested positive after the death of his newborn child.

"There's no question it was a mitigating factor," said Hull manager Steve Bruce to the BBC last month.

"Unfortunately he lost his baby just after the FA Cup final last year.

"Jake has kept all of the problems that he had to himself. All footballers think they are macho-men but they have problems like everybody else."

A disciplinary hearing took place last week at which it was decided the FA would not extend its provisional suspension.

Hull also suspended Livermore following his positive test, but have yet to comment on whether he will now be available to play.

Livermore joined Hull from Spurs for £8m in August 2014 after a season-long loan, making 35 league appearances last season as the Tigers were relegated to the Championship.

Not everyone who goes through a tragedy like that, does something illegal, that could ruin your career, thus your whole life.

Just sayin. 

Everybody deals with situations differently, hopefully I will never have to go through what he does to fully understand what he went through.  I'm sure the consequences of his actions were not at the forefront of his mind when he was living through the darkest days, and sometimes you do what you have to, to get through.

just saying.

Everybody deals with situations differently, hopefully I will never have to go through what he does to fully understand what he went through.  I'm sure the consequences of his actions were not at the forefront of his mind when he was living through the darkest days, and sometimes you do what you have to, to get through.

just saying.

I understand what you're saying but it just seems a shame that he did something so career threatening.  His choice.

There are definitely two sides that people can take on this.  Both of which have their merits.  I am not sure of the link between personal tradegy and taking cocaine but have never gone through anything like he has.

At the end of the day who would have benefited from Livermore receiving a ban?  Good on the FA.

It would be interesting to know what Adrian Mutu thinks about this. After all, he was hit with a 7 month ban for the exact same offence.

I think the FA have called it right in this instance as I don't really believe cocaine is a particularly effective performance enhancing drug and it's not as if the guy was doing lines at half time, but it serves to highlight how ridiculous their treatment of Mutu was.

Archived