What are you reading?

7 hours ago, Moist One said:

I'd be interested to see if there's anything damning (that we didn't already know in there), being as both men aren't alive to dispute anything he says.

Having worked for the man, I have my own doubts about his integrity.

I think we get a reasonable impression of him. His role in saving the club from bankruptcy wasn't something i was fully aware of and is very significant in our history. Gabbo doesn't get a mention not surprisingly, so there are no insights into what went off there. He does sometimes start blowing his own trumpet unnecessarily as to his successes. He doesn't need to do that. I shalln't spoil it for others but i found his insights re Colin Murphy, maxwell, Pickering, longson, and mcfarland interesting. Its clear that clough grew to despise him and saw him as someone constantly in Longson's ear, and i should imagine that brian was right. Nevertheless brian also created problems for himself and others that webby had to help clear up. All in all i liked him more by the end of the book than i did at the start. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Branson or Pie?

The former.

Also got Jenson Button’s autobiography, always found him to be a gentleman racer and all that. I’m sure he’s extremely competitive but just comes across more likeable than say Lewis, Schuey or Vettel. Very humble and skim reading the intro clearly indebted and endeared to his father and possibly somewhat lost without him.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently on book 5 of the "Space Team" series by Barry Hutchison.

Anyone who likes Douglas Adams; Guardians of the Galaxy films or the new The Orville series should give these a go.

The main protagonist was slightly annoying in the first installment but so far, each book is better than the last.

On 28/12/2017 at 19:42, CWC1983 said:

The secret race is a good read, really enjoyed it.

A few books that deal with Lance Armstrong tend to get bogged down in legal stuff but Tyler's book deals with his own story well. 

Read it through and am now re-reading it. Fascinating stuff, although it came as no surprise about Armstrong. Suspected him for years. in his words, 'not normal'.

I've just finished reading Charlie & the Chocolate factory. Now I was lead to believe that Roald Dahl hated the old film but would've loved the new Johnny Depp one as it's more 'true to the story'.  Well it's not. The first film is bang on true to the book - the new one is nowhere near.

Bloody 'people' telling me lies about things...

Scott & Amundsen: The race to the South Pole by Roland Huntford. A great study in leadership; Scott was a dreadful leader in contrast to Amundsen; shows how class-based Royal Navy training approach {command & control} was wholly unsuitable and why Scott failed so spectacularly. I suspect GR may have a copy in the building.  

14 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I've just finished reading Charlie & the Chocolate factory. Now I was lead to believe that Roald Dahl hated the old film but would've loved the new Johnny Depp one as it's more 'true to the story'.  Well it's not. The first film is bang on true to the book - the new one is nowhere near.

Bloody 'people' telling me lies about things...

I bet the snozzberries in the new film taste like turds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2018 at 21:25, Phoenix said:

Read it through and am now re-reading it. Fascinating stuff, although it came as no surprise about Armstrong. Suspected him for years. in his words, 'not normal'.

Bought a couple of books today. 

Paul Kimmage autobiography  - Irish pro cyclist in the 80 and 90s who turned journalist and was vocal against Armstrong and drugs before he got caught. 

The dirtiest race in history - story of the 1988 olympic 100m - Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis, Linford Christie etc. 

For some reason, im fascinated by sport history events that I watched as an innocent young lad. 

Just read Logicomix which is a graphic novel about Bertrand Russell's quest for a solid foundation for the idea of logic, especially regarding mathematics, with an interesting meta take that it's also about writing/drawing the graphical novel about Bertrand Russell... And some Greek myth thrown in.

Certainly different and fairly engaging!

Now it's back to Phillip Pullman's The Book of Dust, Volume 1, La Belle Sauvage. So far it's a bit preachy, rather like how The Amber Spyglass was.

I'm a few chapters into 'The Snows of Kilimanjaro'  by Earnest Hemmingway.

I confess that I knew nothing about it beforehand (apart from the author) and I don't know where it is going - it seems to be a series of short, dark stories, I don't know if they will turn out to be connected.

10 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

I'd like to be able to say that I'm engrossed in Albert Camus' 'The Stranger' or Friedrich Nietzsche's 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra', but the low brow reality is. that I'm thoroughly enjoying myself by wading through all 425 books of the Warhammer 'Horus Heresy'.

I am doing exactly the same thing! I am currently on "Battle for the Abyss" which is book 8 according to the order suggested by the Black Library. I am having a great time getting through them.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I am doing exactly the same thing! I am currently on "Battle for the Abyss" which is book 8 according to the order suggested by the Black Library. I am having a great time getting through them.

Yay! I'm winning at something, just started 'Know no Fear', book 19 on the list.

17 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

I'd like to be able to say that I'm engrossed in Albert Camus' 'The Stranger' or Friedrich Nietzsche's 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra', but the low brow reality is. that I'm thoroughly enjoying myself by wading through all 425 books of the Warhammer 'Horus Heresy'.

16 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I once read nothing but Nietzsche for four years. It was a phase; I only read rubbish now. 

Love Nietzsche. I think it's in Ecce Homo that he says, once you read his books you won't want to read anything else (or at least no other philosophers). And indeed he proves a hard habit to break! 

I daren't re-read in case he's now a disappointment or in case I get sucked back in... 

Archived