What are you reading?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

I am (very) late to the party but hooked on Murukami atm. Read Norwegian Wood, The Wind-up Bird Chronicles, and currently on book 3 of 1Q84.

Phew - it wasn't just me then. 1Q84 is one of the few I've not read, I guess the size put me off. I'd definitely recommend you go for Kafka on the Shore next.

I read an oddball mix of historical fiction, fantasy / sci fi and an occasional airport thriller or more whimsical things like Bill Bryson. I like decent autobiographies as well but recently retired politicians, 31 year old footballers or reality show contestants don't feature in the "decent" category. 

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I read Grisham and Patterson, do you reading snobs frown upon such authors?

I've read a few Grisham books that have been left behind on holidays etc, really enjoyed them tbh.

He's very good at building the world his novel is set in to make it easily imagined, so drawing you in and making you care about the characters.

Wish I could find my library card now, revisiting this thread.

80% through The Haunting Season, by Michelle Muto

I've returned to the horror genre after a few months on comedy fiction.

On the face of it, there's not really anything new here - A group of young people holed up in a haunted mansion with a scientist, to investigate the house's past and each test their own unique gifts - but it's a proper old fashioned ghost story & has enough ideas to stay interesting.

Creepy rather than scary but I'd recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Nothing wrong with James Patterson, rereading all the Alex Cross books again.

I have read a lot of his books but getting bored now. He seems to have a production line of books and haven't enjoyed one for awhile. I'm enjoying Karin slaughter grant county and will Trent books right now. Also recommend harlen coben especially Myron bolitar series.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Saw a book by Carl Sagan today in Bolsover Library whilst looking at books about astronomy / physics. Then I realised someone on this forum uses the same name. Carl Sagan, are you a real published author?

I hope not. Be spooky if he is.

On 13/10/2016 at 17:44, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Saw a book by Carl Sagan today in Bolsover Library whilst looking at books about astronomy / physics. Then I realised someone on this forum uses the same name. Carl Sagan, are you a real published author?

Died in 1996 and was a New Yorker.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading two books at once lately given how variable my moods are at present. I don't often read fiction anymore but, when I do, I tend to read real garbage.

I have needed to chill occasionally with 'bubble-gum' carp after a tough year or so.

Picked up Billy Lynn's Long Half-time Walk after seeing the trailer for the film the other day. Fair to say, I am struggling to get into it thus far.

And just finished Peter Ackroyd's third (or fourth?) volume of his History of England. About to start The Ottoman Endgame.

11 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I have been reading two books at once lately given how variable my moods are at present. I don't often read fiction anymore but, when I do, I tend to read real garbage.

I have needed to chill occasionally with 'bubble-gum' carp after a tough year or so.

Picked up Billy Lynn's Long Half-time Walk after seeing the trailer for the film the other day. Fair to say, I am struggling to get into it thus far.

And just finished Peter Ackroyd's third (or fourth?) volume of his History of England. About to start The Ottoman Endgame.

Good to put your feet up to, the old ottoman endgame.

Just now, Muskination said:

Good to put your feet up to, the old ottoman endgame.

Yeah, yeah. I'm a boring sod.

I love history and politics. Other than Dickens and the Harry Potter books, you can probably count with the fingers on your hands the number of books of fiction I've read in 20-30 years. But, in the last six months or so, I've needed to relax with fluff. Read every Jo Nesbo book for example; they're complete nonsensical garbage but they're light on the brain and fun...if you either suspend reality or (as I do) laugh with the absurd plot twists. 

On 19 October 2016 at 12:23, MuespachRam said:

Reading (listening to the audio book on my commute-does it count as reading?) Paul Lakes autobiography....really good, not the normal footballers life story that's for sure. 

I've read that, it is amazing that clubs treated their most valuable assets so shoddily as recently as the nineties.

I am currently reading the first Dexter novel by Jeff Lindsey.  We are on S6 on the TV show but wanted to read the book.

Archived