What are you reading?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished "The Code of the Woosters", as I'm back into a bit of PG Wodehouse. About to start "A Clockwork Orange".

Jeeves one of my favourite characters in fiction.

I can't get past Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie when I read Jeeves and Wooster - have you seen the tv series they did of the books? They nailed it to be fair.

• 2 weeks later...

"John dies at the end", By David Wong.

Weird comedy fantasy horror. Quite funny. Currently about 1/3 through it and enjoyable so far.

Just found out it was adapted into a film in 2012, so must seek that out later on.

The bloody paper and DCFCfans on Drayton Manor Park car park. Meeting someone here at 10, only to discover the M1 is blocked by an accident and they will be 2 hours late.

The bloody paper and DCFCfans on Drayton Manor Park car park. Meeting someone here at 10, only to discover the M1 is blocked by an accident and they will be 2 hours late.

Accident early hours with two lorrys Jcn 29 to 30 I believe .

Think it's open again though now 

Accident early hours with two lorrys Jcn 29 to 30 I believe .

Think it's open again though now 

Yes, my daughter just texted me that they are back on the M1. Grandson getting snarky - he is autistic and hates anything that does not go to plan. We have it easy on the car park.

Think Rain Man - then multiply by infinity.

Yes, my daughter just texted me that they are back on the M1. Grandson getting snarky - he is autistic and hates anything that does not go to plan. We have it easy on the car park.

Think Rain Man - then multiply by infinity.

Have a good day. 

Up the Rams. 

• 5 months later...
On 22/05/2015, 14:31:17, Wolfie said:

"John dies at the end", By David Wong.

Weird comedy fantasy horror. Quite funny. Currently about 1/3 through it and enjoyable so far.

Just found out it was adapted into a film in 2012, so must seek that out later on.

Just finished the sequel to John Dies at the end, from David Wong: This book is full of spiders

If anything, I enjoyed it more than JDATE, which was good fun but the storyline in this was more coherent - mainly because JDATE was written as a series of short stories & then joined together - I recently discovered.

Basically a comic horror novel about an outbreak of parasitic spider-like creatures and it's aftermath in a non-descript US town. Some bits properly scary & then properly funny - not easy to pull off. The behaviour of the quarantined population is often more un-nerving than that of the "spiders" and this human aspect is handled really well I think.

Well worth a read if you like that genre.

Dont read books, I listen to audiobooks instead.

I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan was a great listen, I reckon a million times better than reading the book as it was Coogan reading as PArtridge.

My favourite book series at the moment is Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch who wrote two episodes of Doctor Who back in the late eighties.

'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' by GRRM. The 3 novellas in this are the prequels to the Song of Ice and Fire series. First one was very good, and second one is good so far as well.

Also reading 'The Bazaar of Bad Dreams' by Stephen King. Great author is King and the stories in this book have been fantastic so far.

'The Sports Gene' by David Epstein. Would really recommend this for anybody interested in patterns of success in and outside of sport.

Looks at Nature v Nurture or better put in this book, Hardware v Software. Briefly discusses the 10,000 hour rule highlighted in another great read 'Outliers'.

Gender, Ethnicity, Genetics, Training are all under the microscope as contributing factors to some people going on to be elite athletes and other not being quite as successful. 

Archived