What are you reading?

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

I was reading 'Fermat's Last Theorem' by Simon Singh at work (checks date - bloody Nora - it was over 20 years ago) and my boss said "Do you understand it?" I replied "Of course. Don't you?" He walked away muttering something about me being a smug git.

I understood the literature of course, but as for the mathematics - well, that's another matter.

Now I had a book which i think was about Fermats Last Theorem called "The Equation that Couldn't be Solved". Sadly i just looked on my shelves and couldn't see it so cant tell you the author. I read it whilst away from home working in Birmingham 2009-2011.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“This is going to hurt” by Adam Kay. Just funny

now and again people get things stuck up them. They explain it was an accident, but sometimes it’s hard to explain the accident with the remote control when it had a condom on it ?

Recently been reading about the Derbyshire (Pentrich) revolution of 1817 and the brave men who tried to improve the lot of the peasants.

The leaders were executed at Vernons Gate in Derby or transported for life to penal colonies in Australia. Many of them were veterans of the battle of Waterloo who returned home to find their families in extreme poverty and hardship.

Its fascinating and heartbreaking to read of their struggles against a regime that hated and feared poor people to the point of wanting them silenced or dead because they had the cojones to fight for a better life.

Alan Furst, historical novels, usually set at the outbreak of WW2 or in Paris under occupation. All sorts of resistance stuff, subterfuge and spies. He’s got a nack and can paint a picture in shades of grey. You smell the atmosphere. The one i’m In to now is The foreign correspondent. Spanish Civil mixed with  Mussolini’s secret police and hit squads. 

16 minutes ago, jono said:

Alan Furst, historical novels, usually set at the outbreak of WW2 or in Paris under occupation. All sorts of resistance stuff, subterfuge and spies. He’s got a nack and can paint a picture in shades of grey. You smell the atmosphere. The one i’m In to now is The foreign correspondent. Spanish Civil mixed with  Mussolini’s secret police and hit squads. 

I'll try that one, thanks

Bazaar of Bad Dreams - Stephen King.

lots of little stories. Quite entertaining, I'm about 5 stories in and have so far read about a possessed vehicle, a unhappy/unlucky couple, a father and son struggling with illness, a judge getting his information from somewhere abnormal and a very evil spirit.

• 4 months later...
On 05/04/2019 at 22:31, TexasRam said:

“This is going to hurt” by Adam Kay. Just funny

now and again people get things stuck up them. They explain it was an accident, but sometimes it’s hard to explain the accident with the remote control when it had a condom on it ?

Also heartbreaking.

War Doctor is also brilliant of the same genre.

Archived