What are you reading?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/12/2018 at 16:43, Smyth_18 said:

Currently reading;

The World's Fittest Book - Ross Edgley - Great book. Basically a fitness bible.

Battle Scars - Jason Fox (SAS Who Dares Wins) - Accounts of life & war. A focus on mental health. Again, great book.

And on audio;

Natural Born Heroes - Christopher Mcdougall - Won't go into the details but basically discovers the secrets of Ancient Greek heroes & a focus on WW2 in Crete. Quite in depth but brilliant nonetheless. Find myself missing important bits when i lose focus due to road rage on the way home. 

Ross Edgely? Why do I feel like I should know him.

I’ll check that out ...cheers.

4 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Ross Edgely? Why do I feel like I should know him.

I’ll check that out ...cheers.

He has just done the Great British swim without touching dry land. Amazing achievement.

Another one i would recommend (before i have even started reading it) is John Mcavoy - Redemption. Got 2 life sentences for armed robbery etc, which he was trained into from a young age. Was in high security prison alongside the likes of Hamza. His mate died while he was in prison and his outlook changed. He broke rowing world records in prison and is now a professional athlete & changing peoples lives through the power of sport.

He was also in parliament meeting the sports minister & children on the day of the Westminster terror attack. On his way out he witnessed it all. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a3a8619c920bb40ab6a2bfb1dcbf2e0.jpeg

got it for xmas and read it in one day. Its the story of a son uncovering his fathers footballing career with its highs and lows including one season at Derby. In the days when the clubs owned the players registrations and players often had a second job. Even tom finney was a plumber. Good read. 

@reveldevil, I thought this thread would be more appropriate for my reply.

I haven't read Trainspotting yet. 

I'm usually of the same opinion as you when it comes to comparing books and their film adaptations (none more so than the Harry Potter series, which I have no shame in admitting is my favourite ever book series), although I do wonder with Trainspotting seeing as the soundtrack is such a huge part of the film's popularity. Nevertheless, I'll add it to my to-read list along with the Maribou Stork Nightmares, which sounds pretty interesting based on its synopsis!

What are you reading at the moment? I've recently finished It by Stephen King (outstanding) and Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker (an incredibly interesting eye-opener on why sleep is important) and I'm about 150 pages into the highly-acclaimed Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. It's proving really interesting reading so far.

39 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

@reveldevil, I thought this thread would be more appropriate for my reply.

I haven't read Trainspotting yet. 

I'm usually of the same opinion as you when it comes to comparing books and their film adaptations (none more so than the Harry Potter series, which I have no shame in admitting is my favourite ever book series), although I do wonder with Trainspotting seeing as the soundtrack is such a huge part of the film's popularity. Nevertheless, I'll add it to my to-read list along with the Maribou Stork Nightmares, which sounds pretty interesting based on its synopsis!

What are you reading at the moment? I've recently finished It by Stephen King (outstanding) and Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker (an incredibly interesting eye-opener on why sleep is important) and I'm about 150 pages into the highly-acclaimed Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. It's proving really interesting reading so far.

I haven't read much at all in recent times, probably the last book was also a Stephen King novel called the Dark Half.

Wasn't that impressed by it in all honesty, but now I find myself with unexpected time on my hands for a few weeks I'll probably download a few.

Just started Munich by Robert Harris, so will finish that first.

20 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I am getting mocked for my lack of culture by a man who runs a forum on which the most controversial topic is whether you sit or stand when wiping your arse.

Nothing wrong with the Harry Potter books...! But who the hell wipes their arse standing up?! 

29 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I haven't read much at all in recent times, probably the last book was also a Stephen King novel called the Dark Half.

Wasn't that impressed by it in all honesty, but now I find myself with unexpected time on my hands for a few weeks I'll probably download a few.

Just started Munich by Robert Harris, so will finish that first.

I recommend Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. Starts with a trilogy, Berlin Requiem I think. David Downing's Station series is great too, first one is Zoo Station I think.

30 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I am getting mocked for my lack of culture by a man who runs a forum on which the most controversial topic is whether you sit or stand when wiping your arse.

I bet you stand. Filthy creature.

27 minutes ago, David said:

I bet you stand. Filthy creature.

You know what i stood till i was about 20 and my mate told me about sitting down to wipe and i was like 'how is that possible?!' and i asked around the pub and i was the only one who stood so i started sitting and its changed my life.

I still sometime can't wee when someone stands next to me in the urinal though whats that about?

I just read the stage play R.U.R by Karel Capek. The word 'robot' was invented by Capek for this stage play (from 1920). 

Very ahead of it's time, and prophetic, it's a bit like Terminator 2 but with more deaths.

I don't normally read classic Czech stage plays but this one is only a couple of poos long and we've just introduced an Alexa to the house so i'm preparing myself for the future.

Archived