What are you reading?

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love Nietzsche. I think it's in Ecce Homo that he says, once you read his books you won't want to read anything else (or at least no other philosophers). And indeed he proves a hard habit to break! 

I daren't re-read in case he's now a disappointment or in case I get sucked back in... 

He was a tad delusional by the time he wrote Ecce Homo, but even then you have to respect his passion for ice cream. 

I found him laugh out loud funny, and the aphoristic style makes him hard to put down. I also got addicted to his way of thinking, which made me not want to read anyone else.

With hindsight I probably only needed to read Twilight of the Idols, but sticking with him was an immersive experience, and a way of unthinking everything I had previously thought. 

I still have them all on my shelf, but I haven’t returned to it either, apart from looking for the occasional quote. I don’t think I’d find him a disappointment, but I couldn’t relive the time in which he was a major transformative part of my life. 

He’s still underestimated and widely misunderstood in my view, which brings me onto my favourite Nietzsche joke:

God is dead - Nietzsche 

Nietzsche is dead - God

Some are born posthumously - Nietzsche 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lambchop said:

He was a tad delusional by the time he wrote Ecce Homo, but even then you have to respect his passion for ice cream. 

I found him laugh out loud funny, and the aphoristic style makes him hard to put down. I also got addicted to his way of thinking, which made me not want to read anyone else.

With hindsight I probably only needed to read Twilight of the Idols, but sticking with him was an immersive experience, and a way of unthinking everything I had previously thought. 

I still have them all on my shelf, but I haven’t returned to it either, apart from looking for the occasional quote. I don’t think I’d find him a disappointment, but I couldn’t relive the time in which he was a major transformative part of my life. 

He’s still underestimated and widely misunderstood in my view, which brings me onto my favourite Nietzsche joke:

God is dead - Nietzsche 

Nietzsche is dead - God

Some are born posthumously - Nietzsche 

Any Nietzsche you'd recommend to read first?

51 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Any Nietzsche you'd recommend to read first?

There’s a Penguin Classics selection by RJ Hollingdale called A Nietzsche Reader. Aphorisms are presented by theme and drawn from across his works, so iIt’s a good place to start  

If I was picking one text other than that I’d go for Twilight of the Idols. Hollingdale’s introductions are good, and make the point that reading Nietzsche isn’t really about agreeing or disagreeing with his views so much as stimulating your own questioning. 

It makes great toilet reading, so keep those two by your loo and you’ll be well away. 

9 hours ago, Lambchop said:

There’s a Penguin Classics selection by RJ Hollingdale called A Nietzsche Reader. Aphorisms are presented by theme and drawn from across his works, so iIt’s a good place to start  

If I was picking one text other than that I’d go for Twilight of the Idols. Hollingdale’s introductions are good, and make the point that reading Nietzsche isn’t really about agreeing or disagreeing with his views so much as stimulating your own questioning. 

It makes great toilet reading, so keep those two by your loo and you’ll be well away. 

just downloaded this to kindle based on your recommendation, thanks.  Travelling to Aus next month so I am stocking up!

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

just downloaded this to kindle based on your recommendation, thanks.  Travelling to Aus next month so I am stocking up!

I hope you get something out of it. His style might take a bit of getting used to, but as his aim is to ‘say in ten sentences what everyone else says in a book - what everyone else does not say in a book’, you don’t have to plough through long, turgid arguments to get to the point. 

I did an MA that involved reading a load of philosophy. Thus spake Zarathustra was the most useful book, but to be honest, by the end i was cured of any interest in philosophers.

it was just pseudo-science and mumbo jumbo. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

It was just pseudo-science and mumbo jumbo. 

Zarathustra is a literary creation representing the possibility of overcoming dualism. Zoroastrianism is a dualistic religion which sees good and evil as opposing powers in eternal conflict. Nietzsche saw morality as subjective and contingent, and the traditional duality of Western philosophy of subject and object, spirit and matter, as false. 

His basic question is how do you overcome the ensuing nihilism when you realise you have placed all your eternal values in metaphysical concepts which can never been known? In his view, you either continue to delude yourself or you find value in radically facing your own nothingness. In this he is the forerunner of Wittgenstein and the existentialists, and in the tradition of certain schools of Buddhism. 

This has nothing to do with science, pseudo or otherwise. It is actually a practical philosophy for facing our existential angst, based on a radical rejection of knowledge. 

David Conn - The fall of the house of FIFA.  Excellent journalist, excellent book, out of which, somewhat surprisingly, Blatter doesn't come out as badly as many others (but perhaps he was better at hiding it).  Not so Warner et al.

As a description of the 'modern' game, from Havelange onwards, it's equally worrying and sad   

On 2/24/2018 at 20:49, TimRam said:

Bon: The Last Highway: The Untold Story of Bon Scott and AC/DC's Back in Black by Jesse Fink. Focus on the bands US tour 1977-1979. Bons last few months and the Back in Black album. Excellent read.

thanks

I will add this to my reading list, ironically for the flight to Aus!

• 8 months later...

831 pages through 'It' by Stephen King. Still enjoying it and there's plenty more to go.

Also making my way through 'Justice: What's the right thing to do?' by Michael J. Sandel. It's alright but I'm less invested in it at the minute, as it's something that I reschedule if something more important comes up. 

Finally, I'm learning French so I'm going to read the Harry Potter series (which I've read in English at least ten times) in French. Currently making my way through the physical copy and audiobook of 'Harry Potter et l'ecole des sorciers' at the same time. It's going to take bloody ages!

Up next (after I finish 'It') is either 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill, or 'The 4-Hour Work Week' by Time Ferris. Any recommendations appreciated.

On 25/02/2018 at 10:17, ilkleyram said:

David Conn - The fall of the house of FIFA.  Excellent journalist, excellent book, out of which, somewhat surprisingly, Blatter doesn't come out as badly as many others (but perhaps he was better at hiding it).  Not so Warner et al.

As a description of the 'modern' game, from Havelange onwards, it's equally worrying and sad   

Just started it and upto the point where Blatter is thinking about his take over from Havelange.

Chuck Blazer doesnt sound like a nice bloke, and Warner is so brazen about his corruption. 

Mind you, its not a surprise after the allegations about his ticket scam at Germany 2006 was uncovered.  

9 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

831 pages through 'It' by Stephen King. Still enjoying it and there's plenty more to go.

Also making my way through 'Justice: What's the right thing to do?' by Michael J. Sandel. It's alright but I'm less invested in it at the minute, as it's something that I reschedule if something more important comes up. 

Finally, I'm learning French so I'm going to read the Harry Potter series (which I've read in English at least ten times) in French. Currently making my way through the physical copy and audiobook of 'Harry Potter et l'ecole des sorciers' at the same time. It's going to take bloody ages!

Up next (after I finish 'It') is either 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill, or 'The 4-Hour Work Week' by Time Ferris. Any recommendations appreciated.

I picked up Chamber of Secrets in a second hand bookshop in Montreal for that exact purpose. Great minds... 

Currently writing a book on the future so have no time for reading anyone else's stuff! 

Archived