What are you reading?

On 05/11/2016 at 15:30, EssendonRam said:

Yeah, yeah. I'm a boring sod.

I love history and politics. Other than Dickens and the Harry Potter books, you can probably count with the fingers on your hands the number of books of fiction I've read in 20-30 years. But, in the last six months or so, I've needed to relax with fluff. Read every Jo Nesbo book for example; they're complete nonsensical garbage but they're light on the brain and fun...if you either suspend reality or (as I do) laugh with the absurd plot twists. 

If you want easy reading mixed with a tiny bit of history try the Flashman series of books. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read Anthony doerr book , all the light we cannot see, really enjoyed it. Found myself reading slower the closer I got to the end to absorb more of the story.  A cursed diamond, a blind young French girl, an orphaned German boy, separate lives come together against the background of WW2

Just finished Andy McDermott's "the tomb of Hercules".

It is his follow-up to "The hunt for Atlantis" and is another gripping adventure story.

If you are prepared to suspend disbelief this is a real page turner.

They are complete in themselves but it is probably best to read the books in order.

I also have "The Secret of Excalibur" and look forward to reading it over Christmas.

They're well worth reading but don't over cook the turkey and have your house burn down while enjoying them!???

On 14 November 2016 at 18:16, EssendonRam said:

Thanks. I'll be honest: I'd heard of neither Flashman, or even of George MacDonald Fraser. I'll have a look. Thanks for the recommendation.

Flashman books are great fun and as 1-4 said you get a bit of history as well. They have an amusing anarchy about them.

i love Bernard Cornwell also ... The Viking / Alfred the great saga is excellent. Better than Sharpe IMO

6 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I'm reading (nearly finished) my first Lee Child / Jack Reacher book.  It's alright.

have you read the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larrson?

I read a lot of John Grisham and James Patterson books as I am very visual and can read them like watching a movie.

On 11/12/2016 at 11:20, Spanish said:

Just read Anthony doerr book , all the light we cannot see, really enjoyed it. Found myself reading slower the closer I got to the end to absorb more of the story.  A cursed diamond, a blind young French girl, an orphaned German boy, separate lives come together against the background of WW2

Thanks for the recommendation . Have a long flight next week , and will read this at the airport and on board . I've checked the list of films on board , and there isn't one I'd watch . 

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

My gay friend Nick is obsessed with both. I haven't got around to it yet.

I'm not sure how to take that.

They are both great.  Most of Linwood Barclay's books are stand alone but Harlan Coben does both a running series (Myron Bolatair - which has a sporting theme) and stand alone books.  You should do what your friend Nick tells you to do (within reason).  I wish I was being recommended the two of them for the first time.

2 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

They are both great.  Most of Linwood Barclay's books are stand alone but Harlan Coben does both a running series (Myron Bolatair - which has a sporting theme) and stand alone books.  You should do what your friend Nick tells you to do (within reason).  I wish I was being recommended the two of them for the first time.

I've got a backlog of about 9 books at the moment.

3 books on the Red Ripper, 

2 Stephen King books (Mr Mercedes and Bazaar.... thing)

1 James Patterson (I Alex Cross)

2 Stephen Dunne (set in Derby)

and something else too.

2 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I really like the Myron Bolitar books, found them a few years back and read them all. Even read the mickey bolitar books aimed at young adults. There hasnt been a Myron one for a while now but just released a new one which i havent read so looking forward to that.

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 07:38, Bridgford Ram said:

I'm reading (nearly finished) my first Lee Child / Jack Reacher book.  It's alright.

I read one having been told again and again how great they were... meh. Not terrible but just bland. Not really a fiction reader generally though.

Re-read Day of the Jackal after...much more to enjoy there. 

• 3 months later...

Currently reading:

Born to Run: Bruce Springsteen's memoir.I'm a fan of his, very good so far.

Mississippi Blood: Book 6 in the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles.Highly recommended series if looking for a new one to start.

Vicious Circle: Book 17 in the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box.Another highly recommended series.

5 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Currently reading:

Born to Run: Bruce Springsteen's memoir.I'm a fan of his, very good so far.

Mississippi Blood: Book 6 in the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles.Highly recommended series if looking for a new one to start.

Vicious Circle: Book 17 in the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box.Another highly recommended series.

Are either of those series crime / thriller fiction?

I realised the other day I had read 25 Harlan Coben books!  They are very good.

I am currently reading MJ Arlidge's DI Helen Grace series.  On book 4 of 6 having only started them in Feb.  Very good.

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Are either of those series crime / thriller fiction?

I realised the other day I had read 25 Harlan Coben books!  They are very good.

I am currently reading MJ Arlidge's DI Helen Grace series.  On book 4 of 6 having only started them in Feb.  Very good.

The Joe Pickett series is about a Game Warden in Wyoming and it is a crime/mystery type series. The Penn Cage series is set in Natchez, Mississippi and is a crime/mystery series also. Both are fantastic series and think you would enjoy them. Also,  since you like the Helen Grace books, I think you would like, if haven't read before, the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham and the Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson as well.

Archived