Sign in to follow this  
SantosHalper

What are you reading?

I've now moved on to "And God Created the Integers" . It's an anthology of great mathematical developments in history. Euclid, Lagrange,  Euler etc....

The typeface is very small in places which makes it even more challenging. Incredible how the ancients developed the ideas that we take for granted today...

Just picked up "Wonders of the Solar System and the Universe" by Brian Cox from WH Smiths in Nottingham on the way to my weekly 'session' sampling foreign beers in the Canal House.

Just £8 - brilliant value because it's still in the best-seller list and it was originally something like £40. The lady behind the counter asked me whether I wanted a free copy of 'The Sun'. I told her that it was ok, as we had already bought some toilet paper.

21 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I've now moved on to "And God Created the Integers" . It's an anthology of great mathematical developments in history. Euclid, Lagrange,  Euler etc....

The typeface is very small in places which makes it even more challenging. Incredible how the ancients developed the ideas that we take for granted today...

Is that the Stephen Hawking book from a few years ago? It's superb.

35 minutes ago, eddie said:

Is that the Stephen Hawking book from a few years ago? It's superb.

That's right. He wrote the forward. I've also got the companion "on the shoulders of giants" to tackle in due course.

Love these sorts of things but you have to invest the time and mental horsepower to really gain most benefit.

I may project a facade of crass boorishness but I do get huge enjoyment from learning something for it's own sake.

👌

32 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That's right. He wrote the forward. I've also got the companion "on the shoulders of giants" to tackle in due course.

Love these sorts of things but you have to invest the time and mental horsepower to really gain most benefit.

I may project a facade of crass boorishness but I do get huge enjoyment from learning something for it's own sake.

👌

I was reading 'Fermat's Last Theorem' by Simon Singh at work (checks date - bloody Nora - it was over 20 years ago) and my boss said "Do you understand it?" I replied "Of course. Don't you?" He walked away muttering something about me being a smug git.

I understood the literature of course, but as for the mathematics - well, that's another matter.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

I was reading 'Fermat's Last Theorem' by Simon Singh at work (checks date - bloody Nora - it was over 20 years ago) and my boss said "Do you understand it?" I replied "Of course. Don't you?" He walked away muttering something about me being a smug git.

I understood the literature of course, but as for the mathematics - well, that's another matter.

Now I had a book which i think was about Fermats Last Theorem called "The Equation that Couldn't be Solved". Sadly i just looked on my shelves and couldn't see it so cant tell you the author. I read it whilst away from home working in Birmingham 2009-2011.