What are you reading?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

You know what i stood till i was about 20 and my mate told me about sitting down to wipe and i was like 'how is that possible?!' and i asked around the pub and i was the only one who stood so i started sitting and its changed my life.

I still sometime can't wee when someone stands next to me in the urinal though whats that about?

How did that conversation even start?

I started avidly reading in June last year and managed to double my GoodReads reading challenge last year so I've set myself the target of 31 books this year. Boxed one off by finishing Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh -- I thoroughly recommend if you are a fan of murder investigation and court room dramas. I am about to finish the last book in the Northland trilogy by Stephen Baxter in the next couple of days and have been listening to Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon on my commute in to work.. This weekend, I should be starting Robinson Crusoe 2244 by E.J Robinson.

Any of you lot on GoodReads at all?

1 hour ago, mastah said:

Any of you lot on GoodReads at all?

Yep, I always check the reviews on there before I buy a book, even if it's just for my own leisure. I also love updating my progress and seeing the percentage of the book I've read.

I've set a target of twenty books for the Reading Challenge, which I'm quite hopeful of hitting. I've also set my own personal target of reading at least 7,500 words, which averages at twenty 375-page books, as I think a word count gives a more accurate picture of the amount I've read. For example, it took me a couple of months to read 'It' by Stephen King because it consisted of about 1,300 pages, but I only had one completed book to show for it.

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Yep, I always check the reviews on there before I buy a book, even if it's just for my own leisure. I also love updating my progress and seeing the percentage of the book I've read.

I've set a target of twenty books for the Reading Challenge, which I'm quite hopeful of hitting. I've also set my own personal target of reading at least 7,500 words, which averages at twenty 375-page books, as I think a word count gives a more accurate picture of the amount I've read. For example, it took me a couple of months to read 'It' by Stephen King because it consisted of about 1,300 pages, but I only had one completed book to show for it

The books I read/listen to are usually 350+ pages in length though I have one or two that are sub 300 pages. The longest books I've read recently are 11/22/63 by Mr King and Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I can't believe It is so long!

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Yes I use the app. The Tripadvisor of the reading world!

There have been a few reviews that literally make no sense after reading a book. People absolutely destroying a book I thought was the best thing I've ever read but I suppose it's horses for courses.

13 hours ago, mastah said:

There have been a few reviews that literally make no sense after reading a book. People absolutely destroying a book I thought was the best thing I've ever read but I suppose it's horses for courses.

I suppose thats the trouble with these reviews sites, it's open to trolls. You get books on there getting 1 star even though it's not released for a couple of years! 

2 hours ago, Squid said:

I suppose thats the trouble with these reviews sites, it's open to trolls. You get books on there getting 1 star even though it's not released for a couple of years! 

I'm not even sure it was a troll. Judging by the display picture, he just seemed to be an old bloke but clearly seemed to hate the book. He had a few comments wholeheartedly agreeing with him too.

• 4 weeks later...

The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

Having loved the original 1963 film and absolutely loathed the 1999 version (both called: The Haunting), I've finally got round to reading the source book.

Very good & only the second book I've read to actually scare me whilst reading it - the first being The Shining.

Just picked up "Wonders of the Solar System and the Universe" by Brian Cox from WH Smiths in Nottingham on the way to my weekly 'session' sampling foreign beers in the Canal House.

Just £8 - brilliant value because it's still in the best-seller list and it was originally something like £40. The lady behind the counter asked me whether I wanted a free copy of 'The Sun'. I told her that it was ok, as we had already bought some toilet paper.

21 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I've now moved on to "And God Created the Integers" . It's an anthology of great mathematical developments in history. Euclid, Lagrange,  Euler etc....

The typeface is very small in places which makes it even more challenging. Incredible how the ancients developed the ideas that we take for granted today...

Is that the Stephen Hawking book from a few years ago? It's superb.

35 minutes ago, eddie said:

Is that the Stephen Hawking book from a few years ago? It's superb.

That's right. He wrote the forward. I've also got the companion "on the shoulders of giants" to tackle in due course.

Love these sorts of things but you have to invest the time and mental horsepower to really gain most benefit.

I may project a facade of crass boorishness but I do get huge enjoyment from learning something for it's own sake.

?

32 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That's right. He wrote the forward. I've also got the companion "on the shoulders of giants" to tackle in due course.

Love these sorts of things but you have to invest the time and mental horsepower to really gain most benefit.

I may project a facade of crass boorishness but I do get huge enjoyment from learning something for it's own sake.

?

I was reading 'Fermat's Last Theorem' by Simon Singh at work (checks date - bloody Nora - it was over 20 years ago) and my boss said "Do you understand it?" I replied "Of course. Don't you?" He walked away muttering something about me being a smug git.

I understood the literature of course, but as for the mathematics - well, that's another matter.

Archived