Burton Albion Promoted!

Day

​Except that there's a historic rivalry between the two counties of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and the cities of Derby and Nottingham that completely predates football.

​The only rivalry that predates football would be fighting over wild boar.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​There's a lovely old song that epitomises the historic rivalry between our two famous old cities, it goes something like this........

We hate Nottingham Forest

We hate Liverpool too, (and Leicester!)

We hate Man Uni - ted,

But Forest, we hate you....

altogether now......

​When it was first written by Jem and Prof Rodgers on Wheildons bus all those years ago, the words were...

We hate Nottingham Forest

We hate Leicester too

We hate 89 others

But Derby we love you.

The clever bit never caught on - I think some plonkers from Uttoxeter didn't understand the arithmetic significance.

:P

I guess Clough was the main man behind this promotion too?

Would not be possible without King Clough.

Funny you should say that...

Chairman pays tribute to Clough

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 20, 2015

BEN Robinson paid tribute to Nigel Clough after Burton Albion won promotion to League One, writes Tom Sloan.

The Brewers chairman says the club has not forgotten its non-league roots as the third tier of English football beckons under the management of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

"It's been a long journey over the years, starting in the Southern League and the Northern League and we've not forgotten that," said Robinson.

"We look back on those 10 years that Nigel Clough gave us – he set the foundations and that's the one big reason we're here today and celebrating today.

"It's about what he did in those 10 brilliant years.

"And Gary Rowett was a great manager for us. Jimmy inherited a marvellous group of players, he's tweaked it and fine tuned it and put his own stamp on it and brought some players in.

"For him to achieve promotion in his first season as a manager is very special."

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Chairman-pays-tribute-Clough/story-26356747-detail/story.html

Clough must be a really sound bloke for everyone to praise him for the success clubs have had after he left.

You never hear of people praising Claudio Ranieri or Frank Rijkaard for laying the foundations at Chelsea and Barca to go on and dominate and achieve the subequent success they had.

I don't particularly follow burton albion, but.....under nigel they  achieved promotion to the conference and then (virtually) to the football league; they built the new ground; they had a couple of great  F.a. Cup runs including playing manchester united home and away which yielded a lot of income.....of course this set the foundation for what came later.

Whats the problem?

For completeness i should add that i think jimmy floyd hasselbaink has gone a sensational job there.

burton suffered a significant bad run before he arrived - 8 defeats in 12 games - relegation form.

he seems to have had an immediate effect. They only lost 3 of the next 30. (W19  D8 L3) 65pts.

incredible.

Archived